Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 14-01-2006, 22:26   #21
Guest 47807
Trusted User

IMDB is wrong and I know because I saw the film when it was originally released. IMDB details are submitted by individuals and someone has probably taken that information from the DVD. There were very few standard ratio (1.85:1) films in stereo in the sixties, in fact I can think of none. Stereo was reserved for roadshow presentations and a few major widescreen (2.35:1) releases such as The Blue Max (which played in magnetic stereo), Guns of Navarone (which included very effective surround effects), The Commancheros and Sink the Bismark. It's unfortunate that after a flurry of activity in making Cinemsacope films in stereo in the fifties, lack of interest by cinemas practicaly killed off stereo until Dolby arrived in the late seventies.
Guest 47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2006, 23:03   #22
Guest 155
Trusted User

I'd have been very surprised if Bullitt had played anywhere in anything other than mono on its release, either. I don't have Bullitt on DVD: can someone who does confirm if the 2.0 track actually is stereo and not 2.0 mono?
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 00:03   #23
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R
IMDB is wrong and I know because I saw the film when it was originally released.
Just because you saw it in mono doesn't mean it wasn't made with just a mono track. Most films I saw up until the late 80s were in mono, but that was because most cinemas in Devon were still stuck in the dark ages, but doesn't mean the films were mono

As for the IMDB details, it's likely that information was there long before DVD. If I can find an old copy of IMDB I have on disc from the early 90s I can check it out (as in those days it was a text based database, distributed on disc and updated via email ). Doesn't mean it's accurate though, as it is contributed, though it's had a long time to be verified.

Gary has a relevant point of it perhaps being 2.0 mono though. Edit: actually from what I know of my old Bullitt DVD it is stereo, it's just only slightly stereo. In the main it's mono but the music plays stereo in places. The old quality to the mix makes me think it pre-dates DVD, but could have come from laserdisc.

Last edited by DeadKenny; 15-01-2006 at 00:21.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 19:38   #24
Guest 155
Trusted User

I suspect the music score was recorded in stereo, especially if a soundtrack LP was released. (I presume one was.) However, the soundtrack in the cinema was mono and only plays with some left-and-right separation because it's playing through home cinema equipment capable of decoding it.

That's my guess anyway. Could be wrong.
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 19:47   #25
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I watched it again yesterday and, while I wasn't especially listening for it, could discern little evidence of stereo seperation (if any).

Last edited by John Hodson; 15-01-2006 at 19:47.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 10:49   #26
Guest 30960
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Most 5.1 remixes are God-awful though aren't they? What you're getting is the sound as it was originally mixed in good old stereo; sounds fine to me...and you're missing a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
How about Ł7.49
My arm has been adequately twisted. Just ordered it from

Sendit.com

I think I was just pre-empting by thoughts of frustration in case an 'Ultimate Edition' appeared within a month or so.

Also, anyone know if it contains same stuff as The Making of Bullit?
Guest 30960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 01:20   #27
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko
Also, anyone know if it contains same stuff as The Making of Bullit?
No it doesn't but among the wealth of extras it does contain two documentaries, one excellent, and one exceptional - check out the DVD Times review.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote