Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 01-07-2004, 08:19   #1
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Question Which to watch first: Once upon a time in the west or The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly?

On the strength of reviews of both films and dvds I got both of these SE's a while back and have never seen either. Now i know that they aren't connected stories, but i was wondering if there was a recommended order to watch them in. As in watching 1 first will make watching the other better or its easier to watch etc. Cheers!

Last edited by JimDriver2; 01-07-2004 at 08:20.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:21   #2
Harsin

Since Once Upon A Time deals with the end of the old west then I'd advise that you watch The Good, the Bad and the Ugly to see what Leone was saying goodbye to.
Harsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:25   #3
poissony
Pandemic!

Hmmm, don't know if watching one first will make the other easier to watch but if I was you, I'd watch OUATITW first (great film), then if you like it, get Fistful of dollars and For a Few Dollars More and watch them in the order they were made, i.e

Fistful of Dollars.
For a Few Dollars More.
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (which i like equally to OUATITW)
poissony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:48   #4
Guest 41062
Trusted User

The thing is, 'West' is very different in tone to the Dollars Trilogy. I watched all 4 films in the order they were made, and I think that worked well. 'A Fistful of Dollars' and 'For A Few Dollars More' are more tongue-in-cheek action westerns with hints of epic, and then GBU, a more epic western that at times takes itself seriously, forms a transition between that and OUATITW, which has a lot more weight than the other films.

But between the two that you own, I'd definitely watch GoodBadUgly first. Harsin's reasoning is very good.

All of Leone's westerns (that lot and 'Duck, You Sucker!' aka 'A Fistful of Dynamite') are really great to watch.

Last edited by boxset; 01-07-2004 at 10:51.
Guest 41062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:46   #5
Guest 1328
Trusted User

I'd also watch The Good, the Bad and the Ugly first, mainly because it was made before OUATITW, although Harsin's reason is a far better argument for watching The Good, the Bad and the Ugly first.
Guest 1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 16:59   #6
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

I love the last half hour of The Good the Bad and the Ugly. But when I think of the rest of the film I think of Clint Eastwood crawling round the desert for two hours.
chris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 18:45   #7
Guest 20972
Trusted User

I personally prefer The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by a long stretch in comparison to Once Upon A Time in the West. Though as poissony suggested if you have the other dollars films, I'd watch them in order. Once Upon A Time in The West possibly has the best beginning to a film ever but the rest leaves a lot to be desired i.e. I found it pretty dull and far too long. TGTB&TU is fairly long too but it held my interest far more. Of the lot I would say For a Few Dollars More is paced the best and is a cracking film to boot! If it's not in your collection - you know what to do
Guest 20972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 18:56   #8
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Both The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and Once Upon a Time in The West are magnificent westerns, brilliantly orchestrated by a director at the peak of his game. I think the only way to watch them is in the order they were made, if you want to appreciate how Leone grows with each film.

Last edited by John Hodson; 01-07-2004 at 18:59.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 19:03   #9
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poissony
Hmmm, don't know if watching one first will make the other easier to watch but if I was you, I'd watch OUATITW first (great film), then if you like it, get Fistful of dollars and For a Few Dollars More and watch them in the order they were made, i.e

Fistful of Dollars.
For a Few Dollars More.
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (which i like equally to OUATITW)
Have to agree with that way
Guest 29334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 21:25   #10
Guest 7482
Trusted User

Good the Bad and the Ugly!!

not a fan on OUATIW.
Guest 7482 is offline   Reply With Quote