Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 09-09-2017, 19:51   #21
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Looks like it's going to make $100 million weekend. Hopefully this might see a return to proper studio horror movies.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 19:52   #22
Goooner1
Trusted User

Yeah, not just horror either, let's have proper movies again, not watered down to get the PG-13 rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2017, 20:29   #23
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

I can't think of any obvious way it could have been done better - extracting just the kids' story for the first film worked really well, as did removing some of the more ridiculous parts of the story. Some parts did feel rushed, and some of my favourite scenes from the book, such as the dumped fridge, were missing - but the size of the book does mean that everyone who's read it is going to have a favourite scene (or 10) missing.

I did like some of the references to parts of the book that weren't in the film - the lego, the statue etc (but may be in the future episode?).

Maybe it was a pity to see some of the language bowdlerised - it was only implied what the problem was Bowers had with Mike Hanlon.

But overall, fantastic performances and a great adaptation.

We all float down here... (but not in way I'd always thought from the book)
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 13:02   #24
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

I really enjoyed it, no mean feat as I expected to hate it.

I know the reviews have been good but the reviews were also good for the Conjuring, Insidious etc and they were bang average.

Soundtrack and cinematography were both excellent.

Just a shame that the cinema I watched it in was almost full and was partially ruined by ***** who like to talk through the movie at their normal volume. I had to ask two sets of people around me to keep it down, the guy across the aisle had to ask the people in front of him to be quiet, and another three rows in front had to do the same to the people behind him.
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:23   #25
stephen
Trusted User

I really enjoyed it too. I'm quite familair with the tv version and the new actors never seemed quite right to me. I expect I'll get used to them when I rewatch it though (nothing wrong with them, I just always think of Bill as Johnathan Brandis etc)

It baffles me why anyone would pay good money to watch a film and then talk to their friends instead of watching it. That's what a pub is for.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 13:42   #26
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Tell me about it, the young couple next to me carried on there full on conversation. Was tempted to join in as she said her house is empty the weekend, thought I could ask where she lived and threaten to rob it so we are both being inappropriate then. Luckily after a couple of comments from me they settled down to whispering only occasionally. Then he looks at his phone during a climactic scene?? Could understand during a slow moment, perhaps they were so busy talking they hadn't got involved in the film?

Anyway was a good movie but have a question:

cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 21:46   #27
ROne
Trusted User

I liked everything apart from the scares. Too much silence then jump routine. Not enough left to the imagination. Everything else was enjoyable and well adapted.

The whole daylight horror thing works well.

Red DRAGON / EPIC Digital Cinema Owner/Operator - if you want to make a film most things considered!

Last edited by ROne; 12-09-2017 at 21:47.
ROne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 09:34   #28
Damonc
Trusted User

Really enjoyed it. Skarsgard did a great job, loved the way one eye looked at the person he was talking to and the other eye looked directly at us. Apparently he was able to do that for real.

Also loved the scene in the library where Ben is reading the book and you can see a person out of focus behind him.

Nice little touches.
Damonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 21:47   #29
Matt_Bro14
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damonc View Post
Really enjoyed it. Skarsgard did a great job, loved the way one eye looked at the person he was talking to and the other eye looked directly at us. Apparently he was able to do that for real.
And the bit in Bill's basement where for one shot, Pennywise is basically looking directly at camera for one of the 'You'll Float Too!' chants. So good.

Yeah, I loved damn near everything about this. Just a great adaptation through and through with a stellar cast and amazing visual touches. Pennywise really is the most magnetic screen presence since... well, Ledger's Joker. Such a transformation. I think my favourite moment was the jaunty little walk he did towards Eddie after he uncurled from the fridge - so unpredictable.

I want Part II, like, tomorrow.
Matt_Bro14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 09:09   #30
Dno
StolenBadger

Awesome stuff, and exactly what I was hoping it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Bro14 View Post
I think my favourite moment was the jaunty little walk he did towards Eddie after he uncurled from the fridge - so unpredictable.
One of my favourite parts.. There were some lovely FX work throughout, but that 'uncurling' moment was fantastic.

Quote:
I want Part II, like, tomorrow.
I'm not a fan of the more recent trend of splitting films up over multiple years, but this is a perfect example of a natural split. It would've been a genuine disservice to cram both parts into one film.

Last edited by Dno; 15-09-2017 at 10:37.
Dno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 09:13   #31
Goooner1
Trusted User

Agreed. I was a little disappointed at some of the bits left out from the book, would've been perfectly happy for this to have been 45 minutes longer

I've read that part 2 is still going to feature the kids in flashbacks, so hopefully the missing stuff will be on that.

No way they could do the whole book justice in a two hour movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14-09-2017, 17:44   #32
Psycho
Trusted User

It

After listening to the audio book a few months I just had to see this at the cinema. I ended up going by myself this morning... it was a big screen but only 6 of us in the cinema, which was nice. This meant I got the best seat to watch it!

Loved it and was happy to see that it was very similar to the book... well, apart from a few things that I assumed wouldn't be in it.

Just like the book, the friendship and banter between The Losers was really good and made me laugh. And Pennywise was just great!

I spotted a few things and nice details or nods towards what was mentioned in the book (inc. Bill wearing a Tracker Brothers Trucking t-shirt).

Some of it reminded me a lot of the early A Nightmare on Elm Street films as well.

Psycho
Trader Feedback: Trader Feedback Thread

Last edited by Psycho; 14-09-2017 at 23:30.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 09:13   #33
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Hopefully they’ll include the Patrick fridge scene in chapter 2?

It would surely be visually great on film, the writing on the door running in the rain etc?
Old 15-09-2017, 09:37   #34
Psycho
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Hopefully they’ll include the Patrick fridge scene in chapter 2?

It would surely be visually great on film, the writing on the door running in the rain etc?
In the new movie didn't we see...

He was almost as scary/evil as Pennywise in the book. I found his part of the story one of the most disturbing!

Psycho

Last edited by Psycho; 15-09-2017 at 09:38.
Old 15-09-2017, 13:17   #35
Psycho
Trusted User

Horror Hit 'It' to Get a Director's Cut

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...201741697.html

Quote:
Muschietti and his producer/sister, Barbara Muschietti, broke the news about the It director’s cut on Thursday morning, noting that Warner Bros. had asked them to produce the new version shortly before they came to our studios to participate in a Facebook Live.

Asked if there were any scenes that he found difficult to trim (considering the novel weighed in at 1,000-plus pages), Andy Muschietti said there was one in particular that stood out. “There’s a great scene, it’s a bit of a payoff of the Stanley Uris plot which is the bar mitzvah, where he delivers a speech against all expectations… it’s basically blaming all the adults of Derry [for the town’s history of deadly “accidents” and child disappearances], and it has a great resolution. … Maybe it will be in the director’s cut!”

“Right, we are going to do a director’s cut. We were told this morning,” Barbara Muschietti chimed in.

Andy Muschietti said there would “probably [be] an extra 15 minutes for hardcore fans” in total, including a “very funny” extended version of the quarry scene, where the group of young protagonists who call themselves The Losers Club try to gin up the courage to jump off a cliff into the water below.

“After the spitting contest it escalates into something that is completely weird and irrelevant to the scene but is so funny. Jack Grazer, who plays Eddie, does something that is completely bonkers.”

The filmmaker had assembled longer cuts during the production process before ultimately trimming the film to 2 hours, 15 minutes for its theatrical release. Warner Bros. has not announced a specific release date for DVD/Blu-ray, but it is expected to arrive in time for the holidays, because nothing says Yuletide cheer like a demonic, children-devouring harlequin.
Old 15-09-2017, 13:56   #36
stephen
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Some of it reminded me a lot of the early A Nightmare on Elm Street films as well.
Did you notice that the cinema in Derry was showing "A Nightmare On Elm Street 5" towards the end?
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 14:05   #37
Psycho
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
Did you notice that the cinema in Derry was showing "A Nightmare On Elm Street 5" towards the end?
Yep, spotted all the movie posters in Bill's bedroom and the cinema screenings!

Also...

And "hi-ho silver away!" and "he thrusts his fists...".

Psycho

Last edited by Psycho; 15-09-2017 at 14:06.
Old 15-09-2017, 15:41   #38
RCW
XBL - RCW41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Horror Hit 'It' to Get a Director's Cut

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...201741697.html
Great news I'm going to see it again before it drops off the IMAX screen at my local.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 19:13   #39
Damonc
Trusted User

Is this worth seeing on an IMAX screen? My local Showcase had it on IMAX but I saw a standard showing for £6.50 with an Insider card. They wanted £16 to see it on IMAX!
Damonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 20:48   #40
Shingster
Trusted User

IMO no, there's nothing spectacular about the look of the film (in fact it's fairly muted) so unless your cinema's standard screens have any annoying technical issues then it's not worth the extra £10 purely for the LIEMAX experience.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote