Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 06-09-2017, 09:38   #1
MARKMAN
**** pretentious ****

Colin Treverow has resigned from Star Wars Episode IX

Interesting

Director Colin Trevorrow exits Star Wars: Episode IX
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41172165
Old 06-09-2017, 10:05   #2
redmosquito
Trusted User

Sounds like he's been sacked rather than left.

Either way I'm over the moon.
redmosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:10   #3
Hood
HipHopPotamus

When Lord and Miller were ousted from the Han Solo movie there was a fair bit of annoyance and concern from what I read on various online resources. However, from what I've read so far, the general consensus is one of relief for this announcement.

Personally, I thought that Safety Not Guaranteed was really good and Jurassic World was ok so in principal I didn't mind him getting the job but the reviews for his latest film were so bad that it rang alarm bells. Not every film that director makes will be great but putting out something so bad that it's almost universally derided, especially when they had full creative control, isn't going to fill your next employers with much faith.

When they drafted in a new writer a few weeks ago it was pretty obvious that Trevorrow was on his way out. I suppose it's possible that they are so happy with The Last Jedi that they want Rian Johnson back.

Last edited by Hood; 06-09-2017 at 11:14.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 13:06   #4
chrisns
Common or Garden Member

Personally, would love to see what Chris Nolan could do in the SW universe...
chrisns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 14:29   #5
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisns View Post
There's not much point after Rogue One and Han Solo. Lucasarts have pretty much decided everything has to look and feel like a Star Wars film.

Which is fair enough it's their franchise.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:12   #6
ian turner
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisns View Post
Get sacked for arguing with Lucas probably. Michael Bay would be a better fit
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:33   #7
orac
information is restricted

Don't know how they are picking these people - how on earth would Lord and Miller be suitable for the Han Solo film? Treverow made lots of money with Jurassic World, a shallow as **it film.. get some proper people in... Edwards for Rogue One was a good choice, yes we heard of controlling issues from Disney, but that is to be expected.

Films you must see
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:51   #8
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

It seems that they cannot seem to make their minds up, seems to happen with the Marvel films also. Take a bit of a chance on someone who has made decent films before (Edgar Wright) then start to get a little twitchy. They then seem to replace them (in SW case halfway) with a safer pair of hands.
jockosjungle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:34   #9
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Don't worry, Clint Howard will be along soon to save the day. He's directed before, right?

aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 14:48   #10
Andy
Logomotive

JJ Abrams will co-write and direct Episode IX:

http://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abr...ars-episode-ix
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
MARKMAN (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 18:53   #11
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Apparently the guy doing episode 8 turned down the opportunity. A good choice all round I guess.
Old 12-09-2017, 22:36   #12
mjb1975
Blandiblub

And also now delayed until Xmas 2019.
Old 13-09-2017, 05:55   #13
Taq
Evil Scientist

“With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy,” said Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy.

So, a perfectly functional, reasonably enjoyable, and completely safe film to look forward to then. One that harks back to moments of other films and makes you think "wow, wish I was watching that instead."
Old 13-09-2017, 05:56   #14
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Hasn't every film been delayed so far?
Old 13-09-2017, 07:52   #15
Hood
HipHopPotamus

There seems to be a lot of revisionism on the internet these days. If you read the reaction to the news that JJ is directing the last film and had no knowledge of him or any films that he made, you would be led to believe that Force Awakens was an absolutely dreadful film and he is complete talent free hack. You might also begin to think that Episodes I, II and III were actually brilliant and George Lucas should be brought back for the new film.

I loved The Force Awakens on first release and my enjoyment of it has not waned on subsequent viewings despite, like Return of Jedi, it following the template of A New Hope a bit too closely. It felt like Star Wars which the previous trilogy never did at any point. Regarding JJ as far as I can see everything he has done has been of a high standard. I've enjoyed all of his stuff, particularly Super 8 and the pilot episodes of Lost were incredible game changing television.

I've seen numerous people saying that they should have got someone more creative in but I would bet my house on it that these same people would have an absolute meltdown if they got in someone who was a bit more maverick and released something that was too different to fit in with the other films. As a lifelong Star Wars fan I don't want someone to come in and throw out the template and do something different because it would cease to be Star Wars. I want a Star Wars film. If I want something else then I'll watch something else.

Last edited by Hood; 13-09-2017 at 09:36.
Thanked 2 times by:
alsemail (13-09-2017), LeftHandedGuitarist (14-09-2017)
Old 13-09-2017, 08:14   #16
Andy
Logomotive

My thoughts exactly.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 08:24   #17
Damonc
Trusted User

This does give JJ the chance to do something different from the template used for TFA. So long as he doesn't bring in Damon Lindelof to help write it, I'm willing to give it a chance.

I thought Rian Johnson to continue because he was supposed to have written both 8 and 9 originally.
Damonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 18:00   #18
Shingster
Trusted User

Bang on Hood, this is Star Wars not ******* Shakespeare, you just need a technical virtuoso who knows how to deliver an entertaining spectacle and JJ fits that bill better than almost anyone these days. Get him a good scriptwriter and you should have a fitting end to the trilogy.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
SIMON ADEBISI (16-09-2017)
Old 14-09-2017, 12:24   #19
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Whereas I disagree as a liker not lover of Force Awakens, I find all of JJ Abrams previous films journeyman, enjoyable enough but ultimately forgettable, as they are normally pretty generic. And had the same trouble with Force Awakens, a copy of stuff that'd happen before other than feeling truly fresh. Even though Rebel One had a slow start, that to me was an original feeling Star Wars movie.

For a safe pair of hands for Star Wars I would want the best, and for me JJ has never been it. No Ron Howard who they've got now is one I would have been happy with, as he has a career of making great films. Spielberg, Cameron, that's what I call safe hands.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 14:47   #20
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
Whereas I disagree as a liker not lover of Force Awakens, I find all of JJ Abrams previous films journeyman, enjoyable enough but ultimately forgettable, as they are normally pretty generic. And had the same trouble with Force Awakens, a copy of stuff that'd happen before other than feeling truly fresh. Even though Rebel One had a slow start, that to me was an original feeling Star Wars movie.

For a safe pair of hands for Star Wars I would want the best, and for me JJ has never been it. No Ron Howard who they've got now is one I would have been happy with, as he has a career of making great films. Spielberg, Cameron, that's what I call safe hands.
The thing is Rogue One was able to feel more original as it doesn't have to fit in with episodes. It would be strange to have films that that follow the same story but have different tone and styles to them. For the last film though JJ has to follow what Rian Johnson has made so maybe some fresher elements will be introduced?

Spielberg and Cameron wouldn't do it though. Ron Howard, who I like, is a very inconsistent director. He's made some great movies but he's made some objectively terrible films.

Last edited by Hood; 14-09-2017 at 14:53.