Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 18-08-2017, 09:08   #201
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

I actually enjoyed this week's episode as I've already given up on them sticking to the original comics & just trying to enjoy it for what it is.

The opening sequence with the POV Grail attack was really well done IMO & still loving everything involving Herr Starr. However they need to do something drastic with Tulip as she is dragging the show down...

Last edited by TonyG; 18-08-2017 at 09:09.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 12:19   #202
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I am enjoying the show and although I find Herr Starr funny (his rise to fame was the highlight) he is also coming across too two dimensional and comic book and thus is a weakness in the series, as I don't feel that with any of the others. Hopefully they'll flesh him out soon from the two dimensional character we have at the mo.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 12:52   #203
TonyG

My memory is hazy but I'm sure Starr initially was just a typical (extreme) comic book villain in the comic & it was the later one-shot origin issue that fleshed him out & made him more interesting later in the main comic book run?
Old 18-08-2017, 15:04   #204
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

The show defiantly picks up when Starr appears but i'd certainly agree that the rape scene was really badly handled. In the comic it was a life changing thing for him in this it was "lol he's being bummed" with seemingly no consequences. It was like an out take from Porkies.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 12:29   #205
TonyG

I just read that Fox News is reporting a lot of US viewers were upset at this week's episode.

Personally, I thought it was well handled & very funny.

And congratulations to the show to be brave enough to go there!
Old 25-08-2017, 14:43   #206
hdhadwar
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
I just read that Fox News is reporting a lot of US viewers were upset at this week's episode.

Personally, I thought it was well handled & very funny.

And congratulations to the show to be brave enough to go there!
I can see why they might have been offended,

Personally, it reminded me of the scene from Team America, which is fine, but it did go on for a bit (Not jealous at all) , very much like the scene from Kill Bill where she met the 88s, you get the idea after the first minute or so after that it's just dragging it out, get on with the plot....
hdhadwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 18:04   #207
tomos
XBL - virgo22

maybe i wasn't paying attention but i don't recall a shagathon
tomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 00:15   #208
Reverend Scapegoat
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomos View Post
maybe i wasn't paying attention but i don't recall a shagathon
How could you miss it?!
Old 26-08-2017, 03:45   #209
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
My memory is hazy but I'm sure Starr initially was just a typical (extreme) comic book villain in the comic & it was the later one-shot origin issue that fleshed him out & made him more interesting later in the main comic book run?
He was introduced very much the same character you've got in the show now, just with less hullabaloo about it (no flashback to how he rose to the position). For the most part the TV Starr is about the most faithful aspect of the show at the moment and he's a breath of fresh air while Negga's lumbered with this melodramatic, daytime soap, PTSD arc.

This week's episode was more fun imo, didn't find the Jesus sport-******* intro all that funny or "edgy" but at least it was a creative, puerile way of introducing the Jesus bloodline.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 09:35   #210
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

I'm glad it's not sticking strictly to the comics. I think it was Alan Moore who pointed out, probably more eruditely, than a comic strip is not a storyboard - despite their superficial similarities. There's things you can do in a comic strip that you can't do in a movie/tv series.

Anyway - it's a long time since the comics came out (90s?) and I can't remember much detail anyway!
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 10:47   #211
tomos
XBL - virgo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Scapegoat View Post
How could you miss it?!
the only one i remember is at the start where non crosseyed jesus is screwing that old woman
Old 26-08-2017, 21:42   #212
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
I'm glad it's not sticking strictly to the comics.
I don't think anyone's expecting it to stick strictly to the comics, they're just expecting, you know, an adaptation to at least contain some elements from the original source. The names of the characters, Herr Starr and the fact they're searching for god are the only elements from the original comics that have been used. It's not an adaptation, it's not even a re-imagining, it's just a very cynical cash in on the "Preacher" name.
Old 27-08-2017, 10:20   #213
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
A theory: Given the inbred Messiah's artwork in his notebooks, are they hinting that

aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 11:24   #214
Reverend Scapegoat
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomos View Post
the only one i remember is at the start where non crosseyed jesus is screwing that old woman
Yeah, that was it.
Old 28-08-2017, 15:30   #215
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I don't think anyone's expecting it to stick strictly to the comics, they're just expecting, you know, an adaptation to at least contain some elements from the original source. The names of the characters, Herr Starr and the fact they're searching for god are the only elements from the original comics that have been used. It's not an adaptation, it's not even a re-imagining, it's just a very cynical cash in on the "Preacher" name.
Do you really think there's enough fans of the comic to make it worth anyone making a "cynical cash in" ?

The main audience has got to be viewers who've never heard of the comic or it isn't worth making.

I'm enjoying it in its own right, with the occasional flash of recognition for a comic plot point. It definitely has the same "feel" as the funnybooks.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 17:21   #216
Shingster
Trusted User

And by that logic Andy, there's no point being even remotely faithful to pretty much anything you adapt other than Superheroes, LOTTR, Harry Potter and the DaVinci Code.
Old 31-08-2017, 16:19   #217
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

I got hung up on the differences from the comics to begin with, but I eventually came round to enjoy the show for what it is. Although the stories and structure are different, season two does an admirable job of recreating the spirit of the comic at least (something they barely even tried to do in season one).

I did flick through Gone to Texas a while back and I honestly think it's unfilmable. What works wonders on the page doesn't necessarily translate to live action.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 17:16   #218
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Well the seasons now finished. I really didn't like the changes they made in the last few episodes. It just seems to be trying to hard and I couldn't care less about the cliff hanger ending.

I think the shows greatest crime is how they've completely wasted Cassidy. He should be the run away star of the show but they write him like a sad puppy.

Rogen's adapting Ennis's the boys next for Amazon God knows what he'll do with that.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 20:28   #219
tomos
XBL - virgo22

same here. thought it started off well but then didn't know what the hell was going on.

i still don't. still don't give a crap about anyone and don't see starr as a threat
Old 14-09-2017, 12:16   #220
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Well I'm enjoying it, and looking forward to seeing what they do with Jody and the angelsville gang, the ma has already been setup well.

The second season I have the same assessment as I did of the second season of NuWho - its both better and worse than the first season, it didn't reach the same heights but then it didn't hit the same lows (more was going on in general this year).

Still don't see the point of the Hitler stuff perhaps we have to wait til next year to see where thats going, if its worthwhile - kinda like they set the Saint up in the first year.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote