Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Notices

Old 29-05-2018, 07:04   #1181
allan
Trusted User

I was being charged £56 for infinity 2 and I rang to switch and got it down to £35 for another 12/18 month contract.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 07:58   #1182
dvds2000
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I don't really wanna be with BT any longer, but AFAIAA they're the only ISP that offers a truly unlimited service with no traffic shaping or management shenanigans.
Unless they have changed, Plusnet were truly unlimited etc when I was with them.
Do you actually use full speed at times when companies limit/manage speeds. I went to SSE for 18 months, fully expecting the traffic management to be a pain, but it was mainly torrents it affected, which I don't use, and I barely noticed it.
dvds2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 08:16   #1183
allan
Trusted User

I never see any slowdown with bt infinity.
Old 29-05-2018, 08:17   #1184
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,205 Times in 783 Posts
You should obviously check and do your research (always exceptions, such as SSE mentioned above), but in general on unlimited fibre services traffic shaping/management/prioritisation etc. is a thing of the past. I don't think any of the major players do it. Even Virgin stopped it a while back now and they were one of the worst.
kanedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 20:39   #1185
Shingster
Trusted User

I was going by this article which seemed to suggest that only BT aren't using any form of traffic shaping/management. They had the following to say about plusnet:

Quote:
Fair Use: Plusnet only sell unlimited broadband packages with no rate limiting (slowing down) and no fair use policy in place.

Traffic Management: They are, however, well known for the very detailed way they manage traffic, or their traffic prioritisation as they like to call it. It's this approach that led to an Advertising Standards Authority investigation into their claim to offer "truly unlimited" broadband, and the ISP's decision to remove words like "truly" and "totally" from their site and advertising.

Peer-to-peer and Usenet traffic are given the lowest priority.

Plusnet say this means time sensitive internet use gets the most bandwidth and everything runs smoothly, but it might not suit all users.
I'm just a bit concerned really because I clearly don't live in an ideal area for high-speed fibre seeing as I can't get above 38mbps (which in reality is more like a 30mbps limit) and currently stuck on infinity one, plus my BT internet connection lost a crapload of speed because of whatever (I forget now, but BT said my speeds reduced because more people in my area subscribed to infinity and they had to reduce the overall limit or some such). So yeah, just worried that if any ISP has any form of traffic management then I will run into it heavily given my cursed misfortune with all things technical and limited area.

Last edited by Shingster; 29-05-2018 at 20:41.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 21:47   #1186
kanedaa

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/...rioritisation/

Quote:
Traffic Prioritisation is not applied to Unlimited, Unlimited Fibre or Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Old 29-05-2018, 22:02   #1187
kanedaa

Random aside - I assume some new advertising laws have come in as I see Plus.net, BT etc are now advertising 'average' speeds instead of 'up to' speeds. Plus.net saying 66Mb average on their top package, BT saying 67Mb, whereas before it was 'up to 76Mb'. The small print on plus.net says "based on speed available to at least 50% of customers at peak time (8 - 10pm)"
Old 29-05-2018, 23:14   #1188
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedaa View Post
Awesome, cheers dave. Will have to read up on plusnet vs BT services now.

Aren't plusnet like EE though and just using BT under a separate name? Does it ultimately matter which one to choose between BT and plusnet if they're offering the same £25 per month 18month contract?

Quote:
Random aside - I assume some new advertising laws have come in as I see Plus.net, BT etc are now advertising 'average' speeds instead of 'up to' speeds. Plus.net saying 66Mb average on their top package, BT saying 67Mb, whereas before it was 'up to 76Mb'. The small print on plus.net says "based on speed available to at least 50% of customers at peak time (8 - 10pm)"
Yeah and IMO BT are definitely being very disengenuous about that 50Mb average based on the former 52mbps max statement on their Infinity 1 service because if a large town like mine can't go above 38Mbps, there's absolutely no way they're calculating that average based on an "average speed per home/location/region" basis. They're clearly using monkey maths there.

Last edited by Shingster; 29-05-2018 at 23:18.
Old 30-05-2018, 06:24   #1189
lentini
now with added cymbals

Your speed on fibre is all to do with how far you are away from your local cabinet. If you can't get more than 30mb, you must be a quite far away from yours, probably about 700-800 metres.
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 06:40   #1190
kanedaa

Quote:
Aren't plusnet like EE though and just using BT under a separate name? Does it ultimately matter which one to choose between BT and plusnet if they're offering the same £25 per month 18month contract?
I believe they're both owned / part of the BT Group but are both separate as far as who you're dealing with and what services they offer. All FTTC providers will be using the BT / Openreach network so it just comes down to what offer suits you best.

The only alternatives are Virgin or some of the independent FTTP networks that are springing up (very small local projects though from what I've seen).
Old 30-05-2018, 22:02   #1191
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentini View Post
Your speed on fibre is all to do with how far you are away from your local cabinet. If you can't get more than 30mb, you must be a quite far away from yours, probably about 700-800 metres.
I am far (just over 1km) but my speed used to be 35mbps for years then overnight it dropped to around 20-23mbps for about a year. Over the last couple of years it's gradually creeped up to 30mbps. This imo has nothing to do with my distance to the exchange and it is this weird speed capping that I was referring to when BT gave me the excuse that more people moved into my area and so they had to reduce my speed.

I'm happy with 30mbps so all of this is moot I guess. So long as I can get 30mbps and not have to go through another downgrade to 20mbps I'm good.

Quote:
I believe they're both owned / part of the BT Group but are both separate as far as who you're dealing with and what services they offer. All FTTC providers will be using the BT / Openreach network so it just comes down to what offer suits you best.
Yeah I'm just thinking of the headache of having to change my email address to all my accounts if I leave BT, but obviously I will be leaving if I can't get them to pricematch plusnet.

Last edited by Shingster; 30-05-2018 at 22:05.
Old 31-05-2018, 06:20   #1192
allan
Trusted User

Bizarrely I had an email from BT last night trying to offer me a service called "Superfast Fibre Plus" which they've appearently just launched in my area. The confusing part was the advertised speed: Superfast Fibre Plus (67Mbps).

I'm currently on Infinity 2 and easily get 80mbit/sec almost all of the time!
Old 31-05-2018, 06:50   #1193
shand754
Gamertag - Shanduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
Bizarrely I had an email from BT last night trying to offer me a service called "Superfast Fibre Plus" which they've appearently just launched in my area. The confusing part was the advertised speed: Superfast Fibre Plus (67Mbps).

I'm currently on Infinity 2 and easily get 80mbit/sec almost all of the time!
I go that too. At first I thought it was a new name for their ultra fast service (guaranteed of at least 100mb) but its not and Infinity 2 is still the best service they can offer in my area according to their online broadband checker. I did ring up to ask what was being offered but gave up after 5 mins in a queue.
Old 31-05-2018, 07:45   #1194
kanedaa

Quote:
Yeah I'm just thinking of the headache of having to change my email address to all my accounts if I leave BT, but obviously I will be leaving if I can't get them to pricematch plusnet.
Well if you do switch it'll be a good time to move to gmail, outlook or something similar. Something that doesn't tie you down and is easily accessible anywhere.

FWIW the general consensus for getting a good deal these days is that you have to sign up with someone else (set your switch date a good couple of weeks off to give you some time), then call your existing provider and ask any question (eg. do I need to do anything before the switch takes place) and they will will proactively try to stop you leaving by offering you their best deal.

This is because signing up with another provider puts a marker on your account which shows intent to leave, which is far more convincing than just phoning up and saying you're thinking of leaving / want a better deal. By all means try the latter but it's generally not very effective anymore.
Thanked 2 times by:
allan175 (01-06-2018), Shingster (01-06-2018)
Old 31-05-2018, 12:50   #1195
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

IIRC you can't switch from BT to Plus.net at least online ( or maybe it's just me ). I am with BT but if I put my details in @ Plus.net then I am told that I already have their broadband.

Could be a glitch ( I was with Plus ages ago ) but could be down to them effectively being the same company.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 13:37   #1196
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I think they changed the rules on advertising speeds, they can no longer say a speed just because 10% of people get it, think it needs to be a true average. But I can't remember where I read it.
jockosjungle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:41   #1197
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Well if you do switch it'll be a good time to move to gmail, outlook or something similar. Something that doesn't tie you down and is easily accessible anywhere.
I already have a gmail account but I use it for my important PC-related accounts that I don't want linked to my e-tailer/membership accounts where I get the spam. I'm thinking of giving Outlook a try.

Quote:
FWIW the general consensus for getting a good deal these days is that you have to sign up with someone else (set your switch date a good couple of weeks off to give you some time), then call your existing provider and ask any question (eg. do I need to do anything before the switch takes place) and they will will proactively try to stop you leaving by offering you their best deal.

This is because signing up with another provider puts a marker on your account which shows intent to leave, which is far more convincing than just phoning up and saying you're thinking of leaving / want a better deal. By all means try the latter but it's generally not very effective anymore.
That's top advice, thanks!