Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > ADMIN ANNOUNCEMENTS FORUM

Old 17-08-2020, 07:10   #81
basegreen
neergesab

Im not a movie buff, but is pushback against female led films actually a thing (on here)??
basegreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 08:21   #82
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,615 Times in 760 Posts
I think it's working now.
Old 17-08-2020, 08:41   #83
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen View Post
Im not a movie buff, but is pushback against female led films actually a thing (on here)??
Depends on how you define pushback, Ripley, Sarah Connor, Original Trilogy Princess Leia well written characters you could get behind regardless if you are a man or woman.

Empowering these days seems to come at the expense of making someone else look stupid or weak.

Or simply put a woman in a man's character with little change if any. I would site Batwoman as an example she approaches fights just like Batman does without the bulk. RR is not a MMA fighter but she throws around men twice her weight because writing. Pushback here is that it is ludicrous that she can do that, there is no real world explanation that Nolan pioneered. Plus the writing is meh Kryptonite Bullet against Batwoman

My view of a real world type Batwoman is that she should be more stealthy and use more brains than Braun.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 09:00   #84
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

Fair comments but we don’t tend to see that criticism of all the other daft superheroe shows. And it’s important to have female leads and having a gay female lead is even more important.
Same as having bame superhero’s are important and if the writing isn’t 10O%, well it can improve, we have Tons of meh white male superheroes but if they fail, it’s not because “people don’t want to watch those sort of heroes”
Anyone, one for another forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 10:45   #85
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,615 Times in 760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Depends on how you define pushback, Ripley, Sarah Connor, Original Trilogy Princess Leia well written characters you could get behind regardless if you are a man or woman.

Empowering these days seems to come at the expense of making someone else look stupid or weak.

Or simply put a woman in a man's character with little change if any. I would site Batwoman as an example she approaches fights just like Batman does without the bulk. RR is not a MMA fighter but she throws around men twice her weight because writing. Pushback here is that it is ludicrous that she can do that, there is no real world explanation that Nolan pioneered. Plus the writing is meh Kryptonite Bullet against Batwoman

My view of a real world type Batwoman is that she should be more stealthy and use more brains than Braun.
Off topic, but unless those same criticisms are applied to male characters then it feels like there's an agenda at work.
Old 17-08-2020, 11:14   #86
Boink!
Quite cross right now

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinP View Post
Off topic, but unless those same criticisms are applied to male characters then it feels like there's an agenda at work.
True.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 12:36   #87
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinP View Post
I think it's working now.
Not showing here using Tapatalk

EDIT: Yes it is - I just needed to refresh the forum list

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 17-08-2020 at 12:37.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 13:15   #88
cliff homewood
Trusted User

So I only visit the forums lunchtimes at work, it all seems to have blown up over the weekend. Thanks Colin for reinstating the general forums and keeping th eplace going still. Like any decent person sorry to hear you are getting personal abuse and threats from the forums, this is not on. If death threats shouldn't they be reported to the Police? Depends how hard you want to go on the person doing them, its a personal judgement call.

You've always got to put your health first however liek everybody else here this place is like a family, I've had discussions about trans rights and black lives matters, which are two highly controversial areas (the latter shoudln't be in the modern age, but what do you do?) and its been good to have intelligent conversations without a) being derided for ones own views and b) not being hit by racism etc.

It's been a place I've trusted and turned too for a long time for any interesting discussion or help. It's a shame you feel it's not there for you when you could do with it as a crux now, i suppose that's life, but harsh when the creator can no longer fully enjoy his creation, yet many of us do and have leaned on it in the past.

Glad to hear general is back open, as I also felt this place woudl die without free discussion, jsut blocknig whatever threads are causing your issue. Personally never report anything, if people are going along a track or diatribe I don't like I just abandon the thread, but as an owner you don't get that luxury!
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 13:45   #89
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
Fair comments but we don’t tend to see that criticism of all the other daft superheroe shows. And it’s important to have female leads and having a gay female lead is even more important.
Same as having bame superhero’s are important and if the writing isn’t 10O%, well it can improve, we have Tons of meh white male superheroes but if they fail, it’s not because “people don’t want to watch those sort of heroes”
Anyone, one for another forum.
I hate Batwoman about as much as every other DC show, but the fact that it's putting representation out there does make it more "important" than say Gotham, which is probably on my personal shortlist of the worse scripted drama I've seen on TV in the last 30yrs.

If someone wanted to watch a superhero show with LGBTQ representation then I'd recommend Umbrella Academy, although it's probably not as good as Batwoman in terms of representation.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 15:19   #90
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,045 Times in 462 Posts
If there was super hero film with 8/9 stone man beating up MMA fighters (unless its a parody - which is far enough) it would be ridiculed. It does not happen really, also tony stark (just a normal man physically) can only fight bad guys due to his armour. So, No there is no agenda at work. BTW people really like the Wonder woman film and WW 1984 is probably going to be good

as shingster said there is better shows with LGBTQ representation in that genere like UA. Even Doom Patrol (which is bit out there) has gay main character that is well written and the female characters (Jane and Rita) are well written and not just "strong woman trope" but hey its easy to scream sexist at people for not liking batwoman tv show
Old 17-08-2020, 15:30   #91
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Even in the DC TV universe you've got Legends which has quite a diverse ensemble crew of race and sexuality, feels much less forced than in the other shows.
Old 17-08-2020, 15:36   #92
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,271 Times in 897 Posts
Nice to see it back.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 15:45   #93
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Did not mean for this thread to divert from is intended use. I added my comment to the TV forum .

Main issue if these shows keep going with identity and sexuality as a character's main feature these shows will die off. Then you have no shows with the representation you want. Gay or straight or whatever has to take 2nd place to a good character and storytelling.

Look at Batwoman and Supergirl viewing figures they don't lie the shows with the highest amount of identity politics are loosing viewers. The people they expect to watch this show are not.
Old 17-08-2020, 20:51   #94
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
She'd probably only need the Braun for her legs and armpits.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 21:02   #95
Boink!
Quite cross right now

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 21:25   #96
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
Dam yew autocorrect dam yew strait two hall
Old 19-08-2020, 19:19   #97
Apostate
Trusted User

Only just read this thread and had no idea all this was going on. Surprised to read about posters and their families being abused off-site. How does anyone find out who you are?
Apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 15:52   #98
Bravoman
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
Only just read this thread and had no idea all this was going on. Surprised to read about posters and their families being abused off-site. How does anyone find out who you are?
Why does anyone care? How sad is your life that you feel the need to do that?
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 16:15   #99
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,561 Times in 1,112 Posts
Yes, very weird.

I seem to remember someone (DeadYankee?) getting phone calls to his workplace too, in attempts to discredit him to his employers.
driver8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 16:30   #100
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,045 Times in 462 Posts
It was someone called steford (nasty arsehat of forum person, thankfully gone), some psycho in the gaming forum tried to get me sacked back in 2009-ish with fake stories because I didn't worship the ps3 like him. Pretty sure it was one of the squirtle re-regs