Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > ADMIN ANNOUNCEMENTS FORUM

Old 15-08-2020, 23:19   #61
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinP View Post

I wanted to instate community moderators but some of the people who ended up putting themselves forward were actually instrumental in causing some of the problems. There was also not a varied enough group of people and the site moderation would have been heavily weighted to right-leaning members. I really don't think that would help make things a friendlier.
Happy to help if you want Colin. Think your choice of mods rather than a vote would be sensible.
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 07:36   #62
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,117 Posts
Yep - I think Colin should choose his mods by PM if he's got a couple of people in mind. (I remember you did approach a few of us some years back, with the lure of splobber's goat pr0n collection!)

This place has been buzzin' in 2020 thanks to world events and the lockdown, and I'm pretty sure I've read every single word that's been written on these forums since the end of 2019!

The political threads can get feisty for sure, but they can be enjoyably frustrating! I'm honestly not sure why people don't just keep scrolling rather than hanging around to get upset. (Although I understand the frustration of strawmen, 1-sided/deaf arguments and random links to twitter).

I wonder if it's possible to turn off the 'report post' option at thread level? And then we can have political threads without Colin getting inundated with reports. (And the occasional thread can be assigned to a 'gloves off' mode!)

Or is there a way to assign a thread/forum over to specific mod/s? That way, extra mod/s can police the individual (political) threads, or the GF as a whole.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 13:00   #63
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

On that last point ... not sure what software this forums is using but most of them allow you associate mods with particular sections
AdamBrunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 13:00   #64
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
I'm pretty sure I've read every single word that's been written on these forums since the end of 2019!

I wonder if it's possible to turn off the 'report post' option at thread level? And then we can have political threads without Colin getting inundated with reports. (And the occasional thread can be assigned to a 'gloves off' mode!)
Clearly not

Quote:
I wouldn't want to do that - there are genuine legal reasons to report posts so I can't remove that option.
Old 16-08-2020, 13:38   #65
malcy

You can’t not have a report post option if you want to protect yourself from serious legal consequences.

A current example is the MP recently accused of serious crimes who can’t be named in the UK either in press or online like here. If someone here posted a link to a foreign news site naming them or a twitter post doing the same there’s serious repercussions for Colin. He needs to be able to immediately delete the post and ban the member posting it.

You can’t just have a free for all.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 14:21   #66
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,117 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know that.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 15:40   #67
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

I don’t see how you can ban politics though? It intrudes into every area. Even the Movies forum can get controversial, I felt that there was a tendency for films with female leads to attract excessive criticism from some for being too “woke” - and that opinion turned out to be VERY unpopular. And that was undoubtedly a political opinion.

So where do you draw the line?

Is it ok for someone to post “That movie is rubbish because it’s woke”?
Is it ok for me to reply “that sounds like someone on rotten tomatoes “?

I guess the answer is that 90% of these problems occur in the General Forum and Colin can handle the other 10%?
AndyWilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 16:14   #68
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,618 Times in 763 Posts
OK - the General Forum has been re-opened.

I have closed a number of threads. The general discussion points of these threads are fine but they all crossed the line in some of the posts. Therefore I will permit new threads on these subjects to be opened if anyone wants to sensibly discuss the situation.

I have also made a post in the Moderator Elections thread - I've already outlined my concerns earlier in this thread so now the decision on moderators will be down to me from those that put themselves forward. I will be choosing THREE moderators who will be responsible for the General Forum only. If you want to put yourself forward as a moderator and haven't done so already then please post in that thread as soon as you can. I will be deciding moderators during the next seven days.

Similarly if you have previously put yourself forward and have since decided against being a moderator then also please let me know in that thread.

Going forward if things descend to this level again I will again close the General Forum to take remedial action - it's impossible to make fair decisions when people are attacking each other editing and deleting posts so please if you want to reports something please do but DO NOT RESPOND. Closures of the forum will be implemented to clear up any cross-thread fallout and unless there are extreme reason this wouldn't be permanent.
Old 16-08-2020, 16:52   #69
Shingster
Trusted User

I'm sorry you've had to deal with all this crap Colin and I'm sorry for whatever part I played in getting the General Forum locked down, I'm just not the type of person to let other members deliberately insult me without reacting, but if a mod is there to chastise any offending posts for me, then there is no need for me to.

I said it in the incriminating thread, but there are too many accusations of prejudice and bigotry on these boards, to reply to this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
So where do you draw the line?

Is it ok for someone to post “That movie is rubbish because it’s woke”?
Is it ok for me to reply “that sounds like someone on rotten tomatoes“?
It is perfectly acceptable to reply "that sounds like someone on rotten tomatoes", you're just challanging an opinion and highlighting the typical internet response to "woke" films, and ultimately it will invite what I would expect to be healthy debate. It is NOT ok to say "you're a misogynist". That's personally accusing a member of being a bigot, flat out. Based on comments about a film. The notion that any member of these boards actually has a problem with films with female leads is frankly ridiculous imo given the films we all championed back in the heydey of asian cinema in the noughties (which are often a lot more female-centric than anything Hollywood is doing even today), but there you go. Simply floating the idea that viewers here seem to be taking issue with female-led movies is also perfectly fine, you're not deliberately accusing anyone personally of anything, just making a general observation which is open to a counter-argument where members can defend their prior criticism.

The main problem we have in the political forum is that certain members will float an idea, argument, or comment (usually taken from twitter or a national newspaper) and they will sit and wait, and when a member comes along who posts the specific response they are after, no matter how innocuous or tangentially connected that response may have been, they then pounce and convert that comment into the inflammatory response they were originally after by taking it and twisting it completely out of context, or they just resort to snide remarks or direct insults, so things escalate from there. All you need Colin is those mods to step in and tell these people to stop and nobody to reply to them. If you can set it up so that the report a post function goes to those mods and not you, then even better. I know how busy you are and you definitely don't need to be dealing with any coonflicts unless they become a legal issue.

Does Alsemail know that you're taking mod nominations again Colin? I would strongly urge you get in touch with him to let him know if he hasn't already put himself forward again and I would recommend you take him on. I know he might have been very blunt and bit of a pain in this thread one or two times, but that's obviously because he really gives a **** and I think he would be fair and unbiased in the position.

As for people reporting and making personal threats, have people attacked you recently over all this, or are you just talking in general over the years? That sounds pretty nuts!

Last edited by Shingster; 16-08-2020 at 17:00.
Shingster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 17:05   #70
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

there are tons of threads i could post on the importance of female leads, even in rubbish movies, why are they judged so harshly (ie one failure on something like ghostbusters means "no one likes female led movies", why is it so poor that many movies don't even have 2 female characters who even speak to one another, yet there is zero point discussing it in a forum which is 99% male posters. So its a topic to just stay away from debating here mostly.

I still throw in criticism of movies where there is mostly no women who interact with any other women (i probably mentioned it in Spiderman far from home comments, you have a ton of male students/teachers and One female who speaks and one female who snogs a bloke the entire time and one aunt May) but you just get snark when you mention it.

(i have feminism forums one can discuss this on anyway)
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 17:16   #71
basegreen
neergesab

Quote:
OK - the General Forum has been re-opened.

I have closed a number of threads. The general discussion points of these threads are fine but they all crossed the line in some of the posts. Therefore I will permit new threads on these subjects to be opened if anyone wants to sensibly discuss the situation.

I have also made a post in the Moderator Elections thread - I've already outlined my concerns earlier in this thread so now the decision on moderators will be down to me from those that put themselves forward. I will be choosing THREE moderators who will be responsible for the General Forum only. If you want to put yourself forward as a moderator and haven't done so already then please post in that thread as soon as you can. I will be deciding moderators during the next seven days.

Similarly if you have previously put yourself forward and have since decided against being a moderator then also please let me know in that thread.

Going forward if things descend to this level again I will again close the General Forum to take remedial action - it's impossible to make fair decisions when people are attacking each other editing and deleting posts so please if you want to reports something please do but DO NOT RESPOND. Closures of the forum will be implemented to clear up any cross-thread fallout and unless there are extreme reason this wouldn't be permanent.
I can’t see the General Forum?
basegreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 17:53   #72
kohoutec
Slanted and Enchanted

It's on a need to know basis
(Neither can I!)
Old 16-08-2020, 18:07   #73
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,689 Times in 571 Posts
There's should be no problem discussing politics on any thread no matter what the subject, as long as its done respectfully that is. Arguing is fine, within limits. But bickering and baiting needs to be stamped out that much is clear.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 18:21   #74
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Trying to work out what the hell I did to actually remove it now :-/
Old 16-08-2020, 18:24   #75
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Is it visible now?
Old 16-08-2020, 18:30   #76
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

Yes, I can see it now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 18:30   #77
basegreen
neergesab

Nope.

It was a strange removal. It seemed be hidden rather than permissions revoked.

As links into it still worked.

Now it looks more permission related. So possibly two things. Vbulletin is a labyrinth sometimes.

Edit: now working a few min later
basegreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 18:31   #78
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,047 Times in 464 Posts
I do think there should be current affairs forum as someone else mentioned. to keep the general forum free of the threads that can get a bit "heated"

I have noticed some snide comments in the film and tv that any one does not like something is some kind of "bigot/misogynist right winger" but they mean alt right of course. If you like something and someone else does not, just be respectful of others and others will do the same for you (mostly)
Old 16-08-2020, 19:26   #79
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
Is it visible now?
Yes, but looks like posts need to be moderated before being shown.
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 05:24   #80
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
there are tons of threads i could post on the importance of female leads, even in rubbish movies, why are they judged so harshly (ie one failure on something like ghostbusters means "no one likes female led movies", why is it so poor that many movies don't even have 2 female characters who even speak to one another, yet there is zero point discussing it in a forum which is 99% male posters. So its a topic to just stay away from debating here mostly.
That's a shame, it would be nice to have discussion in the film forum that doesn't fall into the Star Wars/MCU/Superpowers ultra mainstream bracket. 2020 was shaping up to be a stellar year for cinema here int he UK before the COVID hit and IMO most of the best films released before April were female led.
Shingster is online now   Reply With Quote