Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Mobile Phone and Satellite Navigation Forum

Old 18-03-2016, 23:12   #1
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

Windows 10 or Android

Long story short, I've been a Windows Phone user for a few years now...
However, after a hardware fault on my Lumia 930 I have been offered a full refund...

So, i now find myself in a position to be able to buy a brand new phone. While I have totally loved windows phone, having owned a 920, 640, 930 plus persuaded family to get others, I can't help feel that things are petering out due to developers not supporting it, and maybe it's run its course...

I was totally planning on sticking with it for another year or so, but now I have a choice I'd like to hear rational comments from people who have been in similar situations.

Also, i have an MS band, use Outlook e-mail and Onenote, so anything I do needs to work with those...

I don't know much about the Android market, but have seen friends phones and they don't seem significantly different...

Thanks
Old 19-03-2016, 06:46   #2
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,688 Times in 2,067 Posts
This seems like a question where you already know the answer but you're hoping someone can persuade you different?

Presumably someone other than the boss of Microsoft who recently called windows phones market share 'unsustainable'
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 09:56   #3
vaderag

Well, not entirely...
I was going to push the button on the 950 but then decided i should more extensively consider my options...

I really don't know much about the Android platform - my sole experience is the £30 Kindle Fire which i don't think is representative. I hear it's quite fragmented in terms of OS and manufacturer and so some advice of what would be a sensible move, IF i was going to do it, so that I can look more deeply at the comparisons would be useful - at present it seems a bit of a minefield!!
Old 19-03-2016, 11:09   #4
leemel
Diagnosed Mail Reader

I like the idea of android, where you have multiple hardware manufacturers supporting the same OS, but some manufacturers are more rigid about their UI/skinning e.g. samsung. I'm in the same boat as you, I liked Window 8.1 on the 930, but having just updated to 10, I'm not overly impressed at the battery life, and I can't see much future in the platform without some major revisions.
I'm really looking for a phone with a good camera, relatively good app support, microSD support and will work worldwide.
leemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 11:40   #5
vaderag

Yep - exactly the same boat.

Is there anywhere that lists whether the manufacturer skins heavily?
My mate works for Sony and can effectively get me a Z5 for the same price as a Z5 compact... which seems tempting...

Other phones that look worth considering are:
Nexus 5X (too rubbish a camera tho really)
LG G4 (seems to be layered with LG's own stuff - unlike the LG Nexus... no idea is this matters)
Moto X Play - can't find anything about OS layering
Xperia Z5 (or Z3 if you don't get discount) - again, can't find much on OS layering
Old 19-03-2016, 12:38   #6
target
Trusted User

I have a Z1 Compact and it's excellent. Was also the same price as the Z1 when I bought it. They're pretty much the only brand of premium small phones. I prefer my phone to fit in my pocket.

It's the first Android phone I run the stock rom on (aside from having rooted it) so it can't be all that bad! Mind you, kind of the point of Android is that you can change everything. I use a third party launcher, sms client, email, keyboard, browser. This doesn't mean the stock ones are bad - I'm not sure I ever even tried them! This is just the setup I used on previous phones.
Old 19-03-2016, 13:04   #7
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
I have a Z1 Compact and it's excellent. Was also the same price as the Z1 when I bought it. They're pretty much the only brand of premium small phones. I prefer my phone to fit in my pocket.

It's the first Android phone I run the stock rom on (aside from having rooted it) so it can't be all that bad! Mind you, kind of the point of Android is that you can change everything. I use a third party launcher, sms client, email, keyboard, browser. This doesn't mean the stock ones are bad - I'm not sure I ever even tried them! This is just the setup I used on previous phones.

What is this magical rooting - same as jailbreaking? If Android is so flexible, what do you gain?

One of the things I've loved about WP is that while I'm a huge PC Messer about, with a phone I just want it to work... And WP did...

Sent from mTalk
Old 19-03-2016, 15:08   #8
target
Trusted User

Root is the equivalent of admin rights on Windows. None of what I mentioned changing above requires root. But being a huge messer abouter does. What it basically gives you is write access to the operating system partition. People that 'just want it to work' do not need this.

Last edited by target; 19-03-2016 at 15:13.
Old 19-03-2016, 15:43   #9
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,025 Times in 444 Posts
Also some banking apps don't work if you root an android phone.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 15:55   #10
vaderag

Well, I've decided to go for an Xperia Z5 after looking at a few in the shops.
I get 40% off so if I hate it I can probably break even at second hand...
Old 19-03-2016, 21:17   #11
leemel
Diagnosed Mail Reader

I hadn't really considered the Z5 after my last Sony Ericsson many years was an absolute shocker. silly of me really. Looking at the S7 or the HTC One M9, possibly the LG marshmallow model.
With the way the ecosystem with games consoles, wearables, phones, tablets etc seem to be going, MS seriously need to address this, as if they get the phone right, that could mean a band, console and a surface sale as a result.
Old 19-03-2016, 22:35   #12
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemel View Post
I hadn't really considered the Z5 after my last Sony Ericsson many years was an absolute shocker. silly of me really. Looking at the S7 or the HTC One M9, possibly the LG marshmallow model.

With the way the ecosystem with games consoles, wearables, phones, tablets etc seem to be going, MS seriously need to address this, as if they get the phone right, that could mean a band, console and a surface sale as a result.

To be honest tho, the phone is right. The OS is great. The handsets are smart and powerful. The thing that is wrong is a) the price point given b) the perception that c) there is a lack of apps.

Now don't get me wrong, there is a lot less apps, but there are very few missing that I really wish I had . And the whole perception thing is a self perpetuating downward cycle. I don't know how they get out of it... I really hope they do tho, they deserve to as in my mind everything they are pumping out is great, but it's the stuff around it that's problematic

Sent from mTalk
Old 19-03-2016, 23:08   #13
leemel
Diagnosed Mail Reader

I don't think the 950 or the 950XL was a big enough jump for me to upgrade when they came out, and given the experience on the 930, I'm not sure I want to. I've got a friend who is a game developer for mobile platforms. He said the Windows dev cycle was the worst for him to deal with, and resulted with the worst sales for that version of his game. It is chicken and egg, but until they get the price/feature balance, then I don't see a future. And as some who has worked on Windows since 95 (used it before then as a kid), have owned every xbox, multiple windows phones, PCs etc, its a sad time.
Old 19-03-2016, 23:27   #14
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemel View Post
I don't think the 950 or the 950XL was a big enough jump for me to upgrade when they came out, and given the experience on the 930, I'm not sure I want to. I've got a friend who is a game developer for mobile platforms. He said the Windows dev cycle was the worst for him to deal with, and resulted with the worst sales for that version of his game. It is chicken and egg, but until they get the price/feature balance, then I don't see a future. And as some who has worked on Windows since 95 (used it before then as a kid), have owned every xbox, multiple windows phones, PCs etc, its a sad time.

Sounds like you're exactly the same as me. It wasn't an easy choice to make, and who knows, hopefully I'll have reason to come back.

I still have a surface 3, an Ms band, an xbox one, two windows 10 systems plus my wife's laptop in the house, a OneDrive sub, office 365 and outlook.com email from MS so it will be interesting to see how nice Android plays with all that!!

Sent from mTalk
Old 19-03-2016, 23:41   #15
leemel
Diagnosed Mail Reader

Shame Satya Nadella doesn't appear to see this
Old 19-03-2016, 23:50   #16
Tempest
Trusted User

I of course totally understand why bricks and mortar stores do this.
but if you were an Alien coming to earth and wandering around many stores, you'd be forgiven for thinking all mobiles were iPhones, and there is this other weird one called Galaxy which you see here and there and that's it.

In my TESCO Extra Megastore for example, I thought I'd just wander over to the phone cases, in case any "managers specials" and was shocked to find the whole wall, multiple rows all iPhone cases, and right at the very bottom a very very few galaxy cases, and that was it.
Other than a couple of junk universal ones.

Now I don't expect all stores to stock every single phone in existence and I know iPhones are popular (though Android is VERY popular in the UK) but really, it's like Apple bunged Tesco a back hander.

None of this helps normal shoppers get a balanced view.
Even if Windows phone was doing quite well, someone who did not know would get the wrong impression.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 07:39   #17
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I of course totally understand why bricks and mortar stores do this.

but if you were an Alien coming to earth and wandering around many stores, you'd be forgiven for thinking all mobiles were iPhones, and there is this other weird one called Galaxy which you see here and there and that's it.

In my TESCO Extra Megastore for example, I thought I'd just wander over to the phone cases, in case any "managers specials" and was shocked to find the whole wall, multiple rows all iPhone cases, and right at the very bottom a very very few galaxy cases, and that was it.

Other than a couple of junk universal ones.

Now I don't expect all stores to stock every single phone in existence and I know iPhones are popular (though Android is VERY popular in the UK) but really, it's like Apple bunged Tesco a back hander.

None of this helps normal shoppers get a balanced view.

Even if Windows phone was doing quite well, someone who did not know would get the wrong impression.

Yeah, totally. And when I got windows phones for my parents, it took them six months to stop asking 'so is this Android?' because none of their friends knew that there was anything else but that and an iphone!!

Sent from mTalk
Old 20-03-2016, 07:50   #18
target
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
In my TESCO Extra Megastore for example

They even sell Huawei in my Tesco's phone department.
Old 20-03-2016, 11:08   #19
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
They even sell Huawei in my Tesco's phone department.
That's actually the most odd part.

This MAMMOTH WALL of iPhone cases is just, literally 10/15 feet away from the Mobile Phone (mini store?) and they have many Windows Phones, LOTS of Android Phones, and, I will admit, to barely noticing iPhones, but that may be because there are only a few models of iPhones anyway and they are probably in the corner.

In the Phone Shop area, you'd struggle to pick out the iPhone from the mass of phones, Nokia's, Samsungs, Lumia's, LG, etc.

Yet as I say, wander over to the accessories, and all you see is a mountain face of various iPhone and iPad Cases, with a really tiny smattering of anything else.

It's quite bizarre, and honestly this type of idiocy can come down to the preference of those at the top I'm sure.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 11:34   #20
target
Trusted User

They probably can't compete with ebay for accessories for the kind of person that would buy anything other than a flagship phone.
I mean the screen protector for their own HUDL 2 was £6. For 1.