Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 16-03-2020, 21:51   #3921
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Technically, depending on how the season restarts we only need to win the next one or draw the next one and win one

And it is more a case of LFC have to LOSE at least 7 of the last 9 to not win the league.
If the 1-2 positions were closer, and if you weren't involved, you'd probably agree to scrap it. I'm not sure this is any different. I do get why it's annoying hearing this stuff, and especially how it looks coming from United fans, but I've no idea what the alternatives are. It'll be 6 months before football comes back at the very least. It'll be time for a new season.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 22:18   #3922
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpig View Post
If the 1-2 positions were closer, and if you weren't involved, you'd probably agree to scrap it. I'm not sure this is any different. I do get why it's annoying hearing this stuff, and especially how it looks coming from United fans, but I've no idea what the alternatives are. It'll be 6 months before football comes back at the very least. It'll be time for a new season.
You can't see any difference between a 25 point lead - at the 75% complete stage - and a couple of points difference ?

So, when Corona virus, as predicted, returns towards the end of the year what happens then ? A 3 month old season gets voided ?

The length of delay is irrelevant; it is totally nonsensical to start a new season ( which is equally at risk of being cancelled / voided as the current one ) before the current one is finished. It makes far more sense, is logistically easier ( and advantageous ), cheaper and fairer to delay/cancel the next season rather than void the current one.

Voiding the current season also calls into question the integrity of the sport and sets a dangerous precedent - who is going to be interested in any future campaign knowing there is no guarantee that it will finish ?
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 12:26   #3923
MaxNutter

I'm not happy about voiding the season, United are one of the form teams in Europe at the moment (well, last week), still in the FA Cup, through (effectively) in the Europa and closing on Chelsea for 4th, we've got a lot to lose too, although not the first PL title in 30 years.

City may lose their best ever chance to win the CL if we don't finish the season too, but you can't call it now, for me, it has to be finished or voided
Old 17-03-2020, 18:55   #3924
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

The cup competitions...FA, CL & Europa...could be completed at the start of next season, after all it's only a handful of matches extra for the teams still involved. The PL must either be completed in the summer or be called as the current standings are now, in which case Liverpool will be champions and United 5th. There should be no repercussions towards the FA for financial or positional compensation, it's an unprecedented situation and we all have to accept the situation and how it's resolved. Next season should commence as usual and hopefully, by then, a 'cure' to the virus will have been found...after all, it appears scientists throughout the whole world are working on it!

...let's hope this won't be an annual problem eh!
Old 17-03-2020, 19:46   #3925
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
The PL must either be completed in the summer or be called as the current standings are now, in which case Liverpool will be champions and United 5th. There should be no repercussions towards the FA for financial or positional compensation, it's an unprecedented situation and we all have to accept the situation and how it's resolved.
Even that isn't straight forward. If City's ban from Europe does happen that gives United a CL place, but Sheffield United have a game in hand on them that would put them into that place. The leagues simply have to be completed, that'll be the same across europe. From a fianancial sitution, the leagues are the absolute priority.
Old 17-03-2020, 20:31   #3926
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

So I am guessing people missed the bit in UEFA's statement today saying the Euros have been postponed to enable the domestic leagues to be completed ?
Old 18-03-2020, 10:12   #3927
MaxNutter

Quote:
So I am guessing people missed the bit in UEFA's statement today saying the Euros have been postponed to enable the domestic leagues to be completed ?
Obviously that presumes that everything will have cleared up in time for them to fit the matches in before the next season is due to start (early August)?

What about the FA cup and the European competitions?
Old 18-03-2020, 16:54   #3928
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

If this lockdown on large gatherings continues through the summer, it may be the only option to complete the football leagues will be behind closed doors. To provide revenue for the clubs AND go some way to appease the fans, surely they would have to televise all the games live?! Amazon have shown they can put on the entire PL match day live over last Christmas, I presume Sky/BT will also be able to...maybe the free channels could show the lower leagues?? But yes, they simply have to complete all leagues before the next season begins... ...and award United the FA Cup, Europa Cup and CL place
Old 18-03-2020, 18:35   #3929
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
Obviously that presumes that everything will have cleared up in time for them to fit the matches in before the next season is due to start (early August)?

What about the FA cup and the European competitions?
Where has this August deadline come from? There is no reason whatsoever why the next season has to start in August and there has been no statement saying that it will.

And if Coronavirus is as bad as everyone says then there is no guarantee it would be able to start in August anyway.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 18-03-2020 at 18:39.
Old 18-03-2020, 18:57   #3930
MaxNutter

Quote:
Where has this August deadline come from? There is no reason whatsoever why the next season has to start in August and there has been no statement saying that it will.

And if Coronavirus is as bad as everyone says then there is no guarantee it would be able to start in August anyway.
I'm not saying there is, hence the question mark, but if they're doing the Euros next summer, then the season can't overrun.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 18-03-2020, 19:14   #3931
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
I'm not saying there is, hence the question mark, but if they're doing the Euros next summer, then the season can't overrun.

Oh indeed but cancelling the FA Cup, League Cup, international friendlies and European qualifiers solves that problem easily
Old 18-03-2020, 19:38   #3932
MaxNutter

Quote:
Oh indeed but cancelling the FA Cup, League Cup, international friendlies and European qualifiers solves that problem easily
UEFA won't want that, sacrifice the more valuable club tournaments for the international one?
Old 18-03-2020, 21:57   #3933
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

The Guardian is claiming all 20 clubs will vote for finishing the season at tomorrow's meeting
Old 18-03-2020, 23:21   #3934
MaxNutter

They need 14 to vote no for it be voided, so that's a positive

Old 19-03-2020, 13:26   #3935
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Oh oh - the Liverpool haters won't be happy.

The 19/20 season has been extended indefinitely so, in other words, will be played out to finish no null and voiding
Old 19-03-2020, 13:28   #3936
MaxNutter

Quote:
Oh oh - the Liverpool haters won't be happy.

The 19/20 season has been extended indefinitely so, in other words, will be played out to finish no null and voiding
Good. As long as that includes all club competitions.

Obviously this is a long as we don't have a complete societal breakdown.

Old 19-03-2020, 13:36   #3937
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,689 Times in 571 Posts
If it means Villa go down I'm all for it!
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 17:49   #3938
saltysam
Trusted User

A disgraceful decision and a PR disaster to claim government money for furloughing staff. They've backtracked on it now but the damage has been done. Idiotic and stupid and yes,i know Spurs have done the same-they are a disgrace as well.
saltysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 17:53   #3939
MaxNutter

They were talking about it on the radio last night. The general consensus was that those clubs were willing to take the PR hit to force/shame the players into taking a voluntary pay cut, not to actually exploit the furlough scheme

Old 06-04-2020, 18:20   #3940
nutter45
burninator

Interesting take on it
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote