Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Board Games Forum

Old 10-04-2020, 09:30   #481
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter45 View Post
If you collect say 4 red cards you can claim a 4 red card route on a subsequent turn (or a grey route, which can be claimed with any colour).

You can’t claim part of a route on a turn.
Got it.

Also got hold of Ticket To Ride:First Journey for free on Google Play ( and Apple Store ) which seemed a lot clearer than the XBox version - probably due to less stations on the map.

Locomotives can be used on any colour route to make up for missing trains, yes?
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:42   #482
nutter45
burninator

Yep, they’re wild
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 17:09   #483
Rob
Indie Author

Anybody looking for a decent board game of medium complexity,check out "Teotihuacan - City of Gods". The basic idea is to grab as many victory points as you can, which you can get by contributing to the Mexican pyramid that rises in the centre of the board, but there are a mind-boggling number of other ways by using your workers wisely.

So many things to recommend about this game, including how dice are involved but NEVER rolled - they are used to track your worker level from 1-6. Also, whilst the instructions seem complex at first, you realise that most of the moves are illustrated on the board really clearly. Game components are first rate and after a few plays, we've still not worked out the best strategy yet.
Old 11-04-2020, 18:07   #484
nutter45
burninator

I had a look at that on BGG but looked pretty complicated. Not sure I’d sell that to any non geeks.
Old 11-04-2020, 19:59   #485
Bish

I like the look of Teotihuacan myself but was slightly put off thinking it might be too heavy (BBG rate it's weight as 3.72). Saying that I own Abomination: Heir of Frankenstein which is rated 3.24 and we found that quite easy to get into.

I might watch a few videos of it first.
Old 11-04-2020, 20:01   #486
Torf
PSN : Torf

I had a good game of it last year at Airecon. Nice game and lovely components.

It suffers if there are experienced players playing with newer ones. Those who’ve played it before will know all the combining strategies and newer players will lag behind.

Definitely not one for the casual crowd tho.
Torf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 20:41   #487
Rob
Indie Author

It does look complicated, but like I said, the game art is so good that most combinations of moves are well laid out on the board in simple graphic form.
Old 11-04-2020, 22:48   #488
William Shatners Wig
Senior Toupeč

I keep looking at Teotihuacan, and was put off by BGG weight.

The heaviest we play regularly is Concordia (which is fantastic), but once you get around the conept it is quite easy to grasp. Very fun too.

I regularly play Race for the Galaxy on the app, mainly to get a grasp of the iconography so I can teach it to the wife... Love the game, and don't want to scare her off of it. So have to be confident when selling it to her. Again it's quite simple once you the hang of it.
William Shatners Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 18:53   #489
nutter45
burninator

Good games this long weekend:

Wingspan, TTR, TTR New York, Dominion, Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle and Carcassonne. Good times.

Just ordered the European expansion for Wingspan.
Old 24-04-2020, 13:00   #490
Torf

I took the plunge, and started a game of Gloomhaven with a friend that lives 80 miles away. We've been promising each other that we'd buy a copy, and then meet up for a full day session 2/3 times a year.

With the lockdown in full swing, I took a look at Tabletop Simulator, and the Fantasy Setup mod.

We played our first game on Wednesday, having watched various Youtube tutorials on both the game 'proper' and how the TTS mechanics work.

One word : WOW.

The amount of effort in the mod is extraordinary. Whilst it is at first quite fiddly, we soon got to grips with the mechanics. Took probably 90 mins to get everything teed up for scenario 1, and then about 90 minutes to get spanked by the AI in our first scenario.

There are clear advantages in terms of setup and tear down with a game as expansive as this. We will absolutely be meeting for an evening a week and will likely be continuing well after the lockdown ends.

Recommended!

Haven't tried them, but with plenty of amazing looking official [paid] mods (Wingspan looks amazing!) and unofficial [free] ones, TTS is well worth a look on Steam.
Old 24-04-2020, 14:04   #491
nutter45
burninator

Punchy!

I’ve got a regular zoom night going on with a few mates and their wives. So far we’ve played just one, linkee and colour brain over zoom, which has worked well. I reckon wits and wagers would be good too and maybe Codenames if we could rig a camera over the cards.

Any ideas for other games that could work similarly well?

I thought about boardgame arena or something similar with zoom, but haven’t used it before. Would that work?
Old 24-04-2020, 14:15   #492
cliff homewood
Trusted User

WE boardgame on a thursday night, the first week we tried boardgamearena, wasn't working for us, serious lagtime ruining the game, the next week we tried tabletopia worked fine, this week tabletopia again, but couldn't get in, looks like servers were full up. We also want ideas for games we can play together as a group using the internet. Looks like these hosting sites cant cope with the coronavirus level of demand!

Both were free by the way.

So far played perudo as a group the first week as every gamer should own 5 dice and 20 questions type games. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective may plav one week, as long as someones got it, theres a download for other players to have the accompanying documents map etc.

And I know another gaming group found a version of avalon they were able to play online.

Anyone else help with games we can play as a group over the net?
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 14:28   #493
Torf

"Welcome To.." works VERY well if someone has a copy for the three draw piles.

Just sent printable sheets to the other attendees.
Old 24-04-2020, 15:37   #494
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

My wife's birthday on Monday and I found an online codenames which I plan to try with a few people over zoom
Just one would work I think but I don't have a copy and don't think it'll come in time
Also someone said insider

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 24-04-2020, 15:38   #495
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
WE boardgame on a thursday night, the first week we tried boardgamearena, wasn't working for us, serious lagtime ruining the game, the next week we tried tabletopia worked fine, this week tabletopia again, but couldn't get in, looks like servers were full up. We also want ideas for games we can play together as a group using the internet. Looks like these hosting sites cant cope with the coronavirus level of demand!

Both were free by the way.

So far played perudo as a group the first week as every gamer should own 5 dice and 20 questions type games. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective may plav one week, as long as someones got it, theres a download for other players to have the accompanying documents map etc.

And I know another gaming group found a version of avalon they were able to play online.

Anyone else help with games we can play as a group over the net?
Perudo is a great shout!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2020, 20:12   #496
Bish

We recently bought Roll Player which plays like Sagrada but with more options and Century Spice Road which has been on my wishlist for ages. It was worth the wait and a nice quick game. I couldn't resist buying Teotihuacan which I got for 27.99 (new & sealed) due to a best offer acceptance on eBay.

Unlike video games when it comes to board games I do prefer to pay a bit more for new ones. There is something very satisfying about removing the pieces from a punch board.
Old 01-05-2020, 20:35   #497
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
We recently bought Roll Player which plays like Sagrada but with more options and Century Spice Road which has been on my wishlist for ages. It was worth the wait and a nice quick game. I couldn't resist buying Teotihuacan which I got for 27.99 (new & sealed) due to a best offer acceptance on eBay.

Unlike video games when it comes to board games I do prefer to pay a bit more for new ones. There is something very satisfying about removing the pieces from a punch board.
I really like Century Spice Road. I was thinking I'd buy into the whole series but the rest hasn't really taken my fancy...
It's a cracking little game tho, quick to learn and has worked with every audience I've tried

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2020, 20:45   #498
William Shatners Wig
Senior Toupeč

Would you say it's better than Splendor? That seems to be what most compare it to. I have Splendor, but wouldn't want this if it was too similar.
William Shatners Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 20:57   #499
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Shatners Wig View Post
Would you say it's better than Splendor? That seems to be what most compare it to. I have Splendor, but wouldn't want this if it was too similar.
I've only played Splendor a couple of times. I don't really get the comparison (have seen it a few times) but I haven't bought Splendor

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2020, 22:11   #500
Bish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderag View Post
I really like Century Spice Road. I was thinking I'd buy into the whole series but the rest hasn't really taken my fancy...
It's a cracking little game tho, quick to learn and has worked with every audience I've tried
I took a look at Eastern Wonders and I'm not sure whether I like or not. Unless I'm wrong I think Golum is the same game but with just a different theme.