Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Board Games Forum

Old 27-07-2015, 11:15   #181
Joober
Celebrity Moderator

Other things to consider which are quite light.... Saboteur, Skull, Machi Koro and Dominion. All technically card games though I suppose.
Old 27-07-2015, 11:17   #182
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

Thanks all - I've put a wish list together and sent to my mum and wife and told them to choose between them what they want to play!!
Old 27-07-2015, 13:44   #183
Joober
Celebrity Moderator

Oh I forgot Splendor!!
Old 27-07-2015, 20:31   #184
Torf
PSN : Torf

Interesting Pandemic article over at Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...re-in-pandemic
Torf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 20:26   #185
richie-t
Dick Stallion

I really enjoy pandemic + got quite a few other friends to love it too.
richie-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 16:48   #186
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joober View Post
Oh I forgot Splendor!!
Which has recently been rather excellently ported to iOS by Days of Wonder. Sadly no online play as yet though.
Old 09-08-2015, 19:56   #187
Wendelius
XBox Live: Wendelius

I've been on a bit of a boardgame purchasing and playing kick recently and thought I'd share my thoughts on recent acquisitions.

Acquire

Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5/acquire

The one liner: I didn't know a boardgame consisting of a grid and cardboard tiles could be so much fun.

When I bought it, I didn't realise Acquire is a classic game from 1962. It's ageless. We got it last week because one of my sons was looking for a game about shares and trading and this was enthusiastically recommended at our friendly local game shop.

It doesn't look like much. A grid, some tiles, shares and paper money.

We brought it to the table with a bit of trepidation and ended up playing it 4 or 5 times over 4 days. Turns out it's actually a ton of fun and really gets you thinking. It also helps that the rules are really simple once you have gotten your head around how shares are valued.

The game has you expanding hotel chains and taking over smaller chains as you connect them on the grid. The subtlety comes from knowing what shares to buy, to put you in the best position to cash in on a takeover, for instance.

It was way too abstract for my 8 year old daughter who passed on that one. But everybody else loved it. I can see this one hitting the table quite regularly with my sons for a long time to come.

Camel Up

Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/153938/camel

The one liner: Colourful camel race betting game with more depth than meets the eye.

Camel Up is one I bought to play with my daughter first and foremost. But one everybody enjoyed. At its simplest, it's a Camel Race where you are trying to bet on the winner (the sooner you bet, the greater the rewards) of race legs and of the overall race.

It's again a very simple game to pick up with lots of neat touches. There is often, until the very last move, an element of uncertainty as to which camel will finish first. That's because camels can stack, can be sent back or propelled forward with judiciously placed oasis cards.

It is a very random game and you will pick likely the wrong camel (losing money on your bet) as often as the right one.

The camels stacking and the pyramid on the board serving as a dice tower are really nice touches.

At heart, it s a filler game or one to enjoy with your pre-teen children, I think. But a good one.

Ca$h 'n Guns

Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...second-edition

The one liner: Because every game is better when you can hold up your friends with a foam gun?

A Family (the kind with a Godfather figure) divided by stacks of loots. 8 stacks of 8 valuable items. And everyone wants to grab the lion's share.

This is another simple game which is a lot of fun with family and friends. Every turn, everybody gets to point their foam gun at someone else. It might be loaded with a blank or a real bullet. The targets then need to decide whether to dive for cover (forfeiting the loot) or risking taking a bullet and potentially being kicked out of the game altogether (generally, after 3 wounds).

Another lightweight filler. One you can easily enjoy with gamers and non gamers alike.

Dark Moon

Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/111124/dark-moon

The one liner: Battlestar Galactica meets The Thing on a mining station falling apart.

Dark Moon is based on the Express version of the Battlestar Galactica boardgame (itself based on the recent TV series where Cylons are trying to prevent the human fleet from reaching its goal). It changes a few rules but is essentially a reskin of BSG Express.

While the non BSG art is not for everyone, I love the 80ies sci-fi setting they went for. You are on a mining station. everything looks old and well used. Tasks you must complete every turn come out of an old printer and the readouts are all nicely retro.

Click for full size pic

The camera screens feed you events you must complete the escape the game alive. However, players infected in a mining incident are secretly trying to sabotage the station's critical systems (shields, command centre, life support) and kill everyone. That's exactly what happened in the pic above. Our shields got destroyed.

The gameplay is based on every player receiving a role (uninfected or infected) and taking actions by rolling dice behind their player screen on their turn. All dice in the game have 4 bad results and 2 good ones. So even uninfected players can and do get bad rolls.

And so, when attempting to fix the failing shields or complete a vital task to avoid life support failing on several players, you can find yourself the centre of suspicion even with the best intentions in the world.

If infected players sense that others are starting to suspect them, they can openly declare themselves as infected and take direct action to sabotage the station. But that comes at a price of players being able to know exactly who you are and what you can do. So it's something better done late in the game for a final push.

The game generally plays in around 1 hour or a bit more with 5. So a nice and snappy traitor experience.

I really love the idea of this game, but it still needs to prove itself. We played it once in a 7 players game (5 humans vs 2 infected) where humans won handily and tension was not as intense as we hoped. But we also played a 4 players game (3 humans vs 1 infected) where the infected player deviously hoarded his dice at the end and blew our shields to oblivion on the very last action before we successfully escaped the base. Great fun that one.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf

Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...imate-werewolf

The one liner: What if your favourite traitor game took place over a single round?

This one has been another hit with the family. Imagine The Resistance where you jump in directly at the very last mission. Or Werewolf where you only play one night, no-one gets killed and you have to guess who the werewolf is. Impossible? Not quite. But certainly challenging and fun.

Basically, players are given different secret roles. They wake up (or not) in turn during one night and get to take an action. At the end of the night, everybody wakes up and has got 4-5 minutes to discuss what they saw or did (or lie about it). At the end, everybody votes and the villagers attempt to kill a werewolf to win.

This game is made better by a free official app (Android, iOS) you can run on your phone or tablet which reads out the roles and tells you what to do. At the same time, it plays background noise so other players don't hear you switch 2 cards or peek at another player's role.

This is a game anybody can play (Probably at the same time. It plays 3 to 10). All it requires is a poker face, some cunning and you are off throwing accusations left and right. It also lasts around 10 minutes per round. And the more rounds you play, the more a meta game based on past actions and lasting distrust builds. It's a great family / party game. One we'll play regularly. My daughter finds the ominous soundtrack (you can switch it for others) on the companion app a bit stressful though. Bless her.

Stay Away!

Link:

The one liner: Lovecraft meets The Thing.

Archeologists found something frozen in the ice. after it thaws, people start dying and everybody suspects everybody of not being who they say they are. sounds familiar?

Stay Away! is a brilliant card game (the more players, the better, IMO). It's also very simple. Every turn, you draw a card and play or discard a card. Then you trade a card with the next player in the turn. And therein the danger lies! At the start, everybody is human. Everybody except one player who is "The Thing". He has the power to infect other players by passing them an Infected card during that trading phase, immediately switching them onto his/her team.

If The Thing can infect everyone and declare it, it wins. If the humans manage to use their flamethrower on it, they win. But who is human and who isn't when cards get traded every turn?

The game has got a brilliant mechanic where some cards cause you to switch places with other players. Humans try to use this to get close to the player they suspect of being The Thing to burn it. The Thing can take advantage of this to infect more players. And so the race is on. Can you guess in time? Does your neighbour protest too much? It makes for brilliant mind games in a short game (usually 30' or less for us).

Too dark for my daughter. But my wife, sons and usual gaming group really enjoyed that one. Another one we'll play regularly, I think. Probably our favourite of the recent bunch.

Wendelius

Last edited by Wendelius; 09-08-2015 at 20:08.
Wendelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 20:07   #188
Torf
PSN : Torf

Fantastic post. A few in there I've not seen before.

Like the sound of Dark Moon
Torf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 20:12   #189
Wendelius

Glad you found it useful.

I really love the idea behind Dark Moon. I've played the full blown BSG game a few times, but that's a 2-4 hours affair. It's very thematic, but also very bloated. Dark Moon focuses on the things going wrong and your efforts to fix/sabotage them. It's one I'll likely keep bringing to the table every chance I get. Longer term will tell us whether we get more of the suspenful of rather quiet games. But I can't wait to play it again.

Wendelius
Old 09-08-2015, 22:15   #190
vaderag

Thanks so much for that post - some games to add to my list there!!
Old 10-08-2015, 10:42   #191
vaderag

So... Dark Moon is based on BSG Express - i cant find BSG Express, but suspect i'd prefer the artwork on that... any ideas where I can get that?
Old 10-08-2015, 10:45   #192
nutter45
burninator

The general what you've been playing discussion thread

Excellent post wendelius, enjoyed reading that.

Have you tried Skulls and Roses? It would be a good fit with some of the games you mention
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:25   #193
Wendelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderag View Post
So... Dark Moon is based on BSG Express - i cant find BSG Express, but suspect i'd prefer the artwork on that... any ideas where I can get that?
BSG Express was a print and play game aimed to offer an alternative and more focused BSG experience. I believe there were some good quality prints in circulation (never played it myself). But they didn't really have the rights to the licence, as far as I know. Hence Dark Moon.

Short answer: you probably can't find it anywhere.

Personally, I like the Dark Moon 70ies or 80ies sci-fi art. But I know it's not for everyone.

Wendelius
Old 10-08-2015, 12:26   #194
Wendelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter45 View Post
Excellent post wendelius, enjoyed reading that.

Have you tried Skulls and Roses? It would be a good fit with some of the games you mention
Thanks. I'll try to keep then coming as I discover new games.

I haven't tried Skulls and Roses but have seen it mentioned a few times. I really need to look into it and likely give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

Wendelius
Old 10-08-2015, 12:36   #195
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

Good write up of games! A few I have, but intrigued by Acquire and Stay Away!
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 16:38   #196
Joober
Celebrity Moderator

Recently I've been involved with some local gaming groups that I discovered and have since been playing a lot more! Recently I finally played a proper game of Resistance (AMAZING), Blueprints, Elder Sign, Good Cop Bad Cop, Skull and Tinner's Trail.
Old 17-08-2015, 17:02   #197
queeg500
Chump

Nice work!

My wife and I tried out Jaipur this afternoon. It's a fun, beautifully presented little game. Easy to pick up and quick to play, while I suspect maintaining enough (if only a small level of) strategy to satisfy players wanting a bit more.
queeg500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 17:48   #198
Crawf
Trusted User

Location: The planet of the evil space monkey robot monsters.
thanks to my local Oxfam the old favourite Escape from Atlantis has been getting a play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17-08-2015, 18:15   #199
vaderag

That's arriving for my birthday
Old 17-08-2015, 19:15   #200
nutter45
burninator

The general what you've been playing discussion thread

Love the old school Survive: Escape

Last edited by nutter45; 17-08-2015 at 19:28.
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote