Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 10:48   #81
fothy123
Trusted User

I genuinely hope reconstruction doesn't happen during the summer, the switch to 12 teams happened quite suddenly from what I remember. We should have a bigger league with 1 home and 1 away match against every team, the split is nonsense. Too many teams wanted an extra OF pay day though so have resisted this more sensible league structure.

I think we could afford Allan, as he would be one of the few money signings that we would make and would be the priority signing for me as he was on a different level to the rest of the league imo. Depends if Hibs would be happy to sell him, although I've heard rumours of a release fee being in his contract should Hibs fail to be promoted. Fee could be around £500k.

Hopefully we will start saving a lot on wage money as I'm sure the guys about to be released are on a healthy wage between them. McCulloch rumoured to be on £8/10k.

Rumours that clubs are in for Law and Black and are willing to pay money (obviously not seen them play!), while Templeton been told he can move on (massive disappointment as he is capable of much more than he showed).

Hopefully a new manager will be appointed soon and can start to build a new team, with very few of the squad of this seeing being involved, as the new season starts in 6 weeks time. Warburton and Weir seem to be the favourite although McCall still wants to be involved, as does Billy Davies and I've heard talk of Derek McInnes being on the short list and also Alex McLeish. Most fans want someone who hasn't had any big connection with the club in the past.

Last edited by fothy123; 02-06-2015 at 10:55.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:58   #82
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

This from the Daily Record:

Rangers released 11 players on May 31. Farewell – and not necessarily a fond one – to Steve Simonsen, Lee Robinson, Lee McCulloch, Bilel Mohsni, Steven Smith, Jon Daly, Ian Black, Richard Foster, Kyle Hutton, Kris Boyd and Sebastien Faure.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:37   #83
fothy123
Trusted User

I think that's a fans article and might not be accurate however I'd be pretty happy. Foster apparently has another year on his contract.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:06   #84
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

You got to wonder how Rangers are going to find the cash for another year in Championship . Looks like they will be hiring a new manager and backroom staff, Multiple players out of contract and needing replaced which will bring signing on fees etc even if they get them on free transfers. And what quality if they are free. On top of that they have an ageing stadium , owe money to Ashley and will be selling tickets at Championship rates. Will King dip into his pocket? I have my doubts. I can see admin or even another Liquidation or maybe they will ask Ashley for more cash?
Old 02-06-2015, 13:15   #85
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
You got to wonder how Rangers are going to find the cash for another year in Championship . Looks like they will be hiring a new manager and backroom staff, Multiple players out of contract and needing replaced which will bring signing on fees etc even if they get them on free transfers. And what quality if they are free. On top of that they have an ageing stadium , owe money to Ashley and will be selling tickets at Championship rates. Will King dip into his pocket? I have my doubts. I can see admin or even another Liquidation or maybe they will ask Ashley for more cash?
More loans probably and a share issue?
Old 03-06-2015, 01:03   #86
fothy123
Trusted User

King has already said that he will put money in. He put over £20m in under Murray and didn't see a penny return. We won't be going to Ashley for more money, the plan seems for him to be removed from the club as they are going through contracts with him/sport direct with a tooth comb. Season ticket prices will be about the same as this season and I would think the aim would be to hit about 34000, which we manage a couple of years ago in a lower league. With new management and players that might actually be coached well and have a bit of fight then there will be happy fans.

Quite a few players due to be released are on wages that are far too high (and have been for a number of years) so we will save quite a bit on money. Season tickets should jump back up considerably since a large number didn't take one out last season due to wanting to starve the board out of money. It now looks like we have people with the interests of the club in charge, rather than folk who see it as a way to get rich. Green and his cronies were all on massive bonuses. To the untrained eye, it looked to me like asset stripping.
Old 27-06-2015, 08:55   #87
fothy123
Trusted User

So anyone looking forward to the new season then? Probably no point starting a new thread since we only made 3 pages last time and it just appears to be Rohail, Rooster and I posting on a regular basis, where has everyone else went?

Well Rangers have got a new manager, new assistant and have got rid of an awful lot of dross that were terrible. Warburton has said that he will play a very attacking style of football, will also play younger players and build his team around them and will make the players work hard and be as fit as possible.

He really isn't saying anything that shouldn't have been said and done 3 years ago, however we were left in such a shambles by McCoist. I've heard a lot of horror stories about training (half day sessions where it was mostly ******* about - including where players were told to try and kick the ball at his arse). Rather than buy/play young players he signed ex-spl over the hill players and probably most criminal - gave Kyle Hutton a new contract rather than sign Scott Allan on a free transfer last year. McCoist also refused to play younger players when we had won the 3rd/2nd divisions.

Pre-season kicks off today and we still need to bring in around 8-10 players to build the squad. 2 good central defenders in and we've already strengthened probably the worst are of the team - no more McCulloch or Moshni! We still need a right back, a few midfielders and a few forwards.

Warburton is talking a good game, hopefully he will get the team playing the way he wants. Brentford certainly looked pretty good in the highlights I've watched of them. He can't do any worse than the last 3 years.

Celtic have lost one but signed a replacement central defender but I reckon that it looks like Van Dijk will be away after the european games. They are in talks to sign a 19 year old swiss defender from Man U.

I can only see Celtic being much stronger in the league as Deila knows the squad and has had his settling in period and will have a better idea of the pressures being an OF manager is all about. Europe will be where their focus will be this year, with one eye on the SPL as they will walk it this year I think.

Hearts did well last season and walked the league but will be interesting to see how they perform in the SPL.
Old 27-06-2015, 09:01   #88
andybhoy
Trusted User

Janko is primarily a right back.

Not sure anything has changed at rangers yet. King and his 3 bears don't seem to have put any money in yet.

Only thing that has really changed is there is only hibs standing in their way now.
Old 27-06-2015, 10:02   #89
fothy123
Trusted User

Wasn't meaning Janko was the replacement for Van Dijk. Just have a feeling that he will be away this year before too long.

Well the guys in charge of Rangers have some love for the club and are far less likely to be in to asset strip unlike the last lot (or last few lots). King has invested loads in the past without seeing a penny in return so I don't think he is here to try and make any money. They haven't put in enough to buy and get rid of the last board, we'll see how they do come the end of the transfer window but I'm pretty happy with them in place now.

Off the park, it will be interesting to see what happens with the folk that were arrested last year which included the administrators that Craig Whyte was desperate to appoint. Indeed Whyte himself should be in court through Ticketus about fraudulently obtaining money from them. I'd much rather we have a season where football on the park is being talked about more than the goings on off the park.
Old 27-06-2015, 10:29   #90
andybhoy
Trusted User

Ah I get you - thought you meant as a replacement. Janko has a lot of quality and may end up playing further forward.

I don't think King is particularly there to make money but hes definitely not there to lose it either. I wouldn't expect to see him put a penny in that he won't get back. I also expect him to be gone within 2 years.

I hope Ticketus win - they were ripped off royally. I always felt the administrators did a terrible job realizing the values of the assets. Has to be a reason for that.
Old 27-06-2015, 20:13   #91
fothy123
Trusted User

The thing with Ticketus is that they agreed to a deal with Whyte before he had control of the club and gave him the money prior to taking over as he showed the money in his account to Murray as proof that he had funds. Any money they are due is from Craig Whyte and I'd very much like to see him cleaned out and jailed.

First time in a few years that I've been genuinely looking forward to watching the team, our standard of football has been dire. Hopefully Hibs and us can both get promotion (preferably with us doing it by winning the league though!).
Old 27-06-2015, 20:34   #92
andybhoy
Trusted User

I agree, the money needs to come from Whyte and not rangers. It'd liquidate rangers if they had to pay it.

That said, not much different to the glazers and man utd. They bought utd with loans then foisted the entire debt on them. You got off a little lucky with things (putting aside the liquidation but I think that was going to happen eventually).
Old 30-06-2015, 13:43   #93
ascender
Trusted User

Rangers appear to be doing what they should have done when relegated to the bottom tier. I still think that was a wasted opportunity to build from the ground up, both on and off the pitch.... it was absolutely squandered by McCoist who left an absolute bombscare of a squad for McDowall and then McCall to try and work miracles with.

As a Rangers fan this is the most optimistic and excited I've been in many years to be honest.

I think King will be there for a medium term at least although I suspect he'll take a more backseat role once things have stabilised on and off the park. He's not daft and knows that he and his other investors will need to put some money in to the club in the short term, but if Warburton ends up building a squad on a reasonable budget and overhauls the scouting network (i.e. puts one in), there's no reason why any investors wouldn't at least get their money back in 3-5 years and the club can be on a solid financial footing.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:39   #94
andybhoy
Trusted User

Have they invested anything yet though? I was under the impression they hadn't so they're not. Really investors. Happy to be corrected though.

Agree that they effed up at the start instead of rebuilding.

Last edited by andybhoy; 01-07-2015 at 05:40.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:41   #95
ascender
Trusted User

Not sure.... I think its clear that even though you'd assume/hope the wage bill will be lower this year, its going to need some short term money putting in for modest transfer fees and stuff like stadium maintenance. So it will need some investment from King and his colleagues this summer in particular. I'm guessing Ashley might need some persuading to go away but whether any monies there would count as investment i'm not so sure.
Old 01-07-2015, 14:41   #96
fothy123
Trusted User

From what I've heard of our training so far, its high intensity stuff and the ball work is focusing on playing quick passing and moving up the pitch with speed. Hopefully warbara the right back will sign up and we can add a couple of midfield players and a forward. Talk of a keeper too with ex Swindon keeper being linked. I think our wage bill should be be lower as McCulloch was on over 12k a week and I'm sure a few others would be on decent money.
Old 23-07-2015, 16:39   #97
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Pretty straight forward games for Celtic in the second qualifying round of the CL, Qarabag of Azerbaijan next, which looks like a tougher match, get through that and Celtic will be guaranteed European football till Christmas.

Boyata has looked decent so far in the two games, Ciftci probably needs more time to adjust in the team and some more fitness training. I'm not sure we'll get any more players in apart from a replacement for Van Dijk if he's sold, strong squad for the SPFL, still have my doubts about the strikers to performing in Europe but maybe they will step up.

Well done to Aberdeen on a great result in Croatia! Hopefully they will complete the job tonight, do they have another qualifying round before they reach the group stages of the Europa League?

STV reporting Rangers have put in a second bid of £250k for Scott Allan, wonder if Hibs will buckle, personally I think it would be better for them to keep him even if he leaves on a free at the end of the season, 15 assists last season is tremendous in any league and it would surely impact on their promotion hopes if he's sold.
Old 23-07-2015, 16:58   #98
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by fothy123 View Post
From what I've heard of our training so far, its high intensity stuff and the ball work is focusing on playing quick passing and moving up the pitch with speed. Hopefully warbara the right back will sign up and we can add a couple of midfield players and a forward. Talk of a keeper too with ex Swindon keeper being linked. I think our wage bill should be be lower as McCulloch was on over 12k a week and I'm sure a few others would be on decent money.
Dave King's talk of war-chests being opened in region of £20m seems just to have been high talk, Warburton scouring the English lower league for youngsters and journeymen by the looks of it, they'll likely need to overhaul the team again once they get promoted to the SPFL.

I don't see much problems in them doing that, Hibs are world class bottlers and St Mirren are horrible and the other teams in the championship are average to poor so if Warburton can get his team together quickly then they *should* be promoted as champions.
Old 24-07-2015, 01:56   #99
fothy123
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohail View Post
Pretty straight forward games for Celtic in the second qualifying round of the CL, Qarabag of Azerbaijan next, which looks like a tougher match, get through that and Celtic will be guaranteed European football till Christmas.

Boyata has looked decent so far in the two games, Ciftci probably needs more time to adjust in the team and some more fitness training. I'm not sure we'll get any more players in apart from a replacement for Van Dijk if he's sold, strong squad for the SPFL, still have my doubts about the strikers to performing in Europe but maybe they will step up.

Well done to Aberdeen on a great result in Croatia! Hopefully they will complete the job tonight, do they have another qualifying round before they reach the group stages of the Europa League?

STV reporting Rangers have put in a second bid of £250k for Scott Allan, wonder if Hibs will buckle, personally I think it would be better for them to keep him even if he leaves on a free at the end of the season, 15 assists last season is tremendous in any league and it would surely impact on their promotion hopes if he's sold.
Early european games were always a bannana skin for Scottish clubs, crazy that the league is weeks away from starting and our teams are playing ties that could decide where they make millions or not. All very well saying they should win, however coming up against a club who is part way through a season is always tough. Looking at the 4th round, I think you would take on 3 of the 5 without too much but a couple of good teams there.

Rumour that Allan is going to put in a request today and that would move a deal along. I don't think Hibs have the cash in the bank to be able to knock back a decent offer. I can see a situation where an undisclosed fee is accepted early next week but can't see him move before the game at the weekend as it would leave a lot of unhappy Hibs fans. He would be a fantastic addition to our team and I think he would go on to be a massive success for us.

I don't think we would need to overhaul the team once we get to the SPL. The average age is now something like 23/24 and most of the lads he has brought in have had under 18/21 international experience, so have performed at a decent level but lost their way a little. To beat Celtic then I think we would need to add more, but I'm not overly convinced about the rest other than Aberdeen. I've spoken to Brentford fans and they said Warburton prefers to make these kind of signings, despite at one point the chairman offering him a lump sum to go out and sign a striker. I'm happy with the guys he has brought in and the fee's he has paid. I was convinced Wilson was going to Celtic in the summer.

I watched the game the other night and it was a breath of fresh air to see Rangers actually playing football properly by passing and moving quickly. If nothing else, they will be a joy to watch this year compared to the last 4/5 years. Tavernier at right back looked the pick of the bunch although young Thompson, ex Man U, looked very composed when he got on too.

We have to be aiming for straight promotion and I think we are probably favourites ahead of Hibs, who I think will finish well ahead of the rest. I did hear rumours of reconstruction at the start of next season but I'm sure that needs to be agreed before a ball is kicked in the league. Once again, I'll say that I'm in favour of an 18 team top league and 18 team lower league with regional divisions below. I'd like us to get promoted but I'd also like Hibs to get back up as I think we need to have an Edinburgh derby.

Roll on Saturday and let the season start. Hopefully a few more folk might post on here through the season.
Old 24-07-2015, 10:13   #100
H Dot
Trusted User

Who has the tv rights for the championship? Wouldn't mind catching a few games.
Closed Thread