Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 23-05-2016, 09:37   #221
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Good cup final, Hibs started strong and could possibly have been 3 nil up by the time The Rangers equalised. The team from Govan came back into with more possession but Hibs were still getting the better chances, think Stubbs substitutions was the key factor and they managed to win it at the end from the captain's header.

On this showing The Rangers will struggle in the SPFL, the boy Tavernier who has been lauded all season was torn to shreds by Stokes throughout the game (I think he'll have to be more discipled next season) and the centre backs looked slow clumsy, Hibs tactic of marking the defenders when the goalkeeper attempted to pass out the ball worked well forcing him to kick out long every time.

The pitch invasion by both sets of fans was idiotic and questions have to be asked (and they will be no doubt) why the police took so long to get on the pitch and manage it.

Any of the Rangers supporting lads in here know what impact no European football means for The Rangers? Will it mean a smaller budget for Warburton for signing players?

Celtic officially announcing Brendan Rodgers today, great capture for Celtic and Scottish football, such a high profile management signing, the talk is he'll have a budget of around £20m to build his squad for the league and to push for in Europe.

Finally congratulations to Killie who won the play-off comfortably against Falkirk, hopefully they'll push on with Lee Clark now (if he sticks around).
Old 23-05-2016, 17:42   #222
fothy123
Trusted User

Hibs have beaten a number of SPFL clubs this season, while Rangers beat Celtic in the last round so I don't think we will struggle too much next year. Tavernier is great going forward but isn't as good at defending but him and Kiernan both had poor games.

SFA have said an independant enquiry will take place regarding the chaos after it. What I would point out is that there was no pitch invasion after the old firm semi final in which tensions were high and ended in a similar situation with a tight game finishing very suddenly. Usually at the end of a late stages cup match you have one group of players celebrating and one group sitting or standing about dejected and our players weren't able to do that due to the sheer number of idiots running onto the pitch and a number of them being assaulted and this could have turned out much worse. If you have thousands of determined idiots wanting to run onto the pitch then they will get on the pitch. Assaulting players is completely unacceptable and Hibs should be absolutely hammered for it.

Budget for us was agreed before the final but the board said they would make additional funds available should we be in the europa league. Joey Barton has just made some tweets that suggest he will be joining us and that would be a pretty big signing. Warburton has shown he has a good eye for players and that you don't need to spend a fortune. I think we spent about £1m total on players and got almost a whole new squad for that. I'd say we need a couple of defenders, a defensive midfielder and a forward to go with the guys we have already signed. Warburton wants to have a small squad so that everyone gets game time rather than be in the team one week and out for the next 3 weeks.

Rodgers will get Celtic playing more attacking football and I think with us returning to the top league then it will be considerably more interesting and will push Celtic so that they can't drop silly points. They were able to lose a number of games over the last few years without anyone else being able to take any sort of advantage. Rodgers and Warburton have worked at the same club and I think will bring a big more of a level head to old firm games next year. Both like to have their teams play attractive, attacking football so there could be some crackers next season. There was a reported 100m viewers worldwide for the semi final so there is massive interest. I'll be interested to see who stays and who goes from Celtic's massive squad and what players are brought in. Rodgers has been brought in early so he will get a good look at the squad but it's only 8 weeks until the next season kicks off and there will be big pressure to get into the CL Groups as they really missed a trick to create a gulf between themselves and the rest of the country. Which players that you would fancy bringing in?

Killie were fantastic against Falkirk, didn't see them pulling off that sort of performance but they destroyed them and deserve to stay up. Clark deserves credit for it and it will be interesting to see how they get on next year.

Hibs, Dundee Utd, Falkirk, St Mirren and Falkirk all will be fighting for promotion but the playoffs are weighted against the Championship clubs so could end up being another season for Hibs. Hopefully there will be some league reconstruction soon as there are too many teams in the Championship that should be at a higher level and the Edinburgh derby is a big loss.
Old 23-05-2016, 17:55   #223
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,280 Times in 904 Posts
I don't really see what you can do if some fans run on the pitch or indeed start attacking the players, ban the people for life if they can be identified. But we got rid of keeping fans in cages for a reason.
Old 23-05-2016, 19:40   #224
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

It's a bit rich for Rangers fans to call for hibs to be punished , fined banned etc when they continually get away with their fans singing banned songs because they have told them not to and can do no more. Yes ban , jail the culprits but what could the club have done differently? The failings of the police and security should come under scrutiny.
Old 23-05-2016, 20:37   #225
fothy123
Trusted User

Oh you're quite right, I support rangers so can't call for another team to be punished. I'd be happy for them to put up fines then point deductions for folk singing offensive, bigoted or in stuff support of terrorists.

The government brought in a bill due to pressure from certain places however when it wasn't just rangers fans being charged then fans have wanted the act to be dropped.

Oh and I seen the state of leith at the weekend and it was like a war zone on Saturday night so it didn't just finish when they left the stadium.
Old 23-05-2016, 20:42   #226
fothy123
Trusted User

I'd love to know what the police or security guards could have done differently other than having double the numbers. Never heard anyone before it predicting their would be a mass pitch invasion.

Its easy to blame the police and security rather than blame the folk who were actually responsible.
Old 23-05-2016, 20:55   #227
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fothy123 View Post
I'd love to know what the police or security guards could have done differently other than having double the numbers. Never heard anyone before it predicting their would be a mass pitch invasion.

Its easy to blame the police and security rather than blame the folk who were actually responsible.
After last years invasion when Motherwell beat Rangers lessons should have been learned, a heavier presence around the pitch for a start. So what could hibs have done?
Old 23-05-2016, 21:24   #228
fothy123
Trusted User

If motherwell had been given a proper punishment then some folk might have thought twice. The national stadium is three times the capacity of fir park so just how many police and stewards do you think it would actually take and how many cops do you think are available? The 1000 extra officers pledge by the government is smoke and mirrors and there are less on the streets thanks to redundancies of civilian staff with their jobs been done by police officers and many coming to retirement age. there are games in the top flight that are actually police free, I'm sure hearts against killie was last year or the year before. Is it really that much to ask that fans behave like decent and responsible people rather than requiring thousands of extra police and stewards? I also heard the fancy advertising boards at that end were trashed with the cost being into the hundred thousands and one of the photographers had his equipment nicked.

I'll say again, when rangers beat Celtic then why did neither sets of these fans jump on the pitch and assault opposition players? I'm 37 and can remember a few incidents of one or two idiots running onto the pitch during old firm games but it was pretty isolated and the last time must have been years ago. Neil Lennon was attacked by an idiot at hearts yet we aren't seeing the same level of condemnation. Anyone entering the field is breaking the law, its got it on the back of the ticket. Anyone that assaults a player, staff or referee should be jailed and banned for life from every football ground. All it takes is one lunatic coming into a ground with a knife and you've got potentially a murder on your hands.

Blaming police and stewarding is a cop out, pun intended

Last edited by fothy123; 23-05-2016 at 21:29.
Old 24-05-2016, 07:24   #229
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

a handful of morons are to blame from both sides but the policing of the event has to come under scrutiny they could have and should have been better prepared. You still never answered my question on what hibs as a club could have done? As in the Manchester events with Rangers not a lot .
Old 24-05-2016, 18:37   #230
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,280 Times in 904 Posts
If thousands of people want to run on the pitch, I don't see what the police can really do to stop them. We see pitch invasions all the time, pretty much every team does it at the end of the season or they used to.
Old 24-05-2016, 18:58   #231
fothy123
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
a handful of morons are to blame from both sides but the policing of the event has to come under scrutiny they could have and should have been better prepared. You still never answered my question on what hibs as a club could have done? As in the Manchester events with Rangers not a lot .
It was more than just a handful of morons on the Hibs side of the pitch. I know you want to keep going with us being equally as bad but how many Hibs players were assaulted? I've no idea what Hibs could have done, but it was their fans. Pitch invasions are one thing but assaulting players is much worse.

Oh and apparently the value of the damaged LED screens is about £400k. Why should the SFA pick up that cost? Hibs fans so their club should be responsible for it.

If it had been our fans storming the pitch in their thousands and half of the Hibs team being attacked, would you still have the same view point? I suspect not.

Manchester is different because the trouble there was outside the stadium, not inside it.

To rbullivant, I don't think we do see pitch invasions that often up here. A couple of smaller clubs have done it recently but when was the last time fans of Celtic, Aberdeen or Hearts did it with any significant numbers?
Old 24-05-2016, 21:26   #232
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fothy123 View Post
It was more than just a handful of morons on the Hibs side of the pitch. I know you want to keep going with us being equally as bad but how many Hibs players were assaulted? I've no idea what Hibs could have done, but it was their fans. Pitch invasions are one thing but assaulting players is much worse.

Oh and apparently the value of the damaged LED screens is about £400k. Why should the SFA pick up that cost? Hibs fans so their club should be responsible for it.

If it had been our fans storming the pitch in their thousands and half of the Hibs team being attacked, would you still have the same view point? I suspect not.

Manchester is different because the trouble there was outside the stadium, not inside it.

To rbullivant, I don't think we do see pitch invasions that often up here. A couple of smaller clubs have done it recently but when was the last time fans of Celtic, Aberdeen or Hearts did it with any significant numbers?
So you agree that hibs or any other club are pretty powerless stop the morons, yet you want them punished despite your own club getting away with sectarian singing week in week out because they have deemed to have done all they can. I.e. Put out a list of songs and ask them if they would be so kind not to sing them.
Punishing hibs because of these mindless morons could open up a can of worms, in fact there is a good chance some of the idiots weren't even hibs or Rangers fans.
Old 25-05-2016, 08:14   #233
fothy123
Trusted User

The SFA are out of money to the tune of £400k for the damage caused to the screens alone so Hibs have to be responsible for that amount of money.

I've said somewhere above that I'd be happy to look at fines then point deductions however there would need to be clear rules put in place in place for this. For instance how would Aberdeen fans singing about the Ibrox disaster be classed? Celtic fans have sung about Paddy McCourts Fenian Army in the past (and probably other similar incarnations of it) and probably will be about Brendan Rodgers Fenian Army next season - is this ok because they are singing it about themselves or is the word offensive if everyone uses it? Rangers fans are called huns, a term even used by folk on BBC sportsound/off the ball, yet it has been judged to have been sectarian in court. A section of Celtic fans are very vocal of their support of a terrorist group which is deemed as illegal in law. Hearts, Killie and a few others have their own "billy boys" with fenian being substituted for their rivals and these are deemed ok. There is always going to be offensive stuff at football matches and as much as it would be good to stop it then I can't see how it is possible without definitive lists.

On a personal point of view, I don't take offence from anything sung or chanted. I've been called a lot worse than anything I've heard at a football match.

Oh and I'd say there probably is a good chance some aren't Hibs fans - there was 25,000 of them at the stadium and they are lucky to get more than 11k at Easter Road every 2nd week!
Old 25-05-2016, 12:05   #234
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

How are you going to deduct points in the Scottish Cup since this was where the incident happened, the league has got nothing to do with this. Being banned from the Scottish Cup or no fans at homer games for Hibs fans and some sort of fine would be the correct step. I would look to fine The Rangers too since some of their fans invaded the pitch too but the SFA are probably still waiting on the last fine being paid from them!

Still no comment from The Rangers manager on how/why his team got beat in the cup final.
Old 25-05-2016, 13:55   #235
fothy123
Trusted User

Depends on the competition, a behind closed doors league game would cause issues for season ticket holders as they have already paid so would need refunded.

A few folk talking on a forum aren't going to solve it, there will hopefully be some sort of outcome and recommendations when the enquiry is finished.

His team got beat as hibs played to their best and we didn't. A few of our players didn't have a good game and we never got much from the two left sided players. We lost two sloppy goals from corners. Had Clark not tripped over a blade of grass then he wouldn't have given them possession and it would have went to extra time. Its not like we were hammered. There hasn't been much between us and them this season other than a couple of games where we hammered them. Hibs should be in the top league as they are one of the best teams in the country. They beat quite a few premier league teams this season. I think from the end of next season league construction can be considered and hopefully they'll decide to expand the league.
Old 25-05-2016, 16:53   #236
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Chris Davies appointed Assistant Manager at Celtic, was with BR at Swansea and Liverpool. Celtic been linked with Spurs Tom Carroll over the last few days, think he's out of contract though another midfielder of which we are already stacked with!

Joey Barton signs on at The Rangers, not bad signing for them, the release of Law, Templeton and Clark will probably cover his wages.
Old 26-05-2016, 22:10   #237
Pentasa
Originally joined Mar '01

Rooster and Rohail still talking nonsense I see

Pity the Hibs supporters attacking Rangers players and staff weren't singing nasty songs and then the authorities might do something about it

Plus Celtic sing the Roll of Honour every single week and never seem to get any criticism or punishment handed their way

Seems to be open season on Rangers and their supporters sorry Dirty Huns these days
Old 31-05-2016, 10:17   #238
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentasa View Post
Rooster and Rohail still talking nonsense I see

Pity the Hibs supporters attacking Rangers players and staff weren't singing nasty songs and then the authorities might do something about it

Plus Celtic sing the Roll of Honour every single week and never seem to get any criticism or punishment handed their way

Seems to be open season on Rangers and their supporters sorry Dirty Huns these days
Somebody's got a chip on their shoulder

Anyway, Colin Kazim-Richards looks to have left Celtic, joining Brazilian side Coritiba, strange signing but at least he's been shipped out pretty quickly.

Champions League qualifiers draw on 20th June so not long till it all kicks off again.
Old 31-05-2016, 16:41   #239
fothy123
Trusted User

20th June is crazy, no time for a full pre-season and it's probably the most crucial few games of the season. This round should be fine but the next one can get a bit ropey, especially if drawn against one of the countries part way through their season. How many of your players are involved in the euros? I know Roberts has been allowed to stay with Celtic but haven't heard about anyone else.

Good business getting rid of Kazim-Richards so quick. Another bizarre signing by your last manager (or Peter Lawell). Will be interesting to see how many of the squad go and how many get paid off and told to find another club.

Haven't heard that Shiels has been released yet (he is out of contract so maybe will be getting a 1yr deal) and I think we are waiting to see if someone will take Cammy Bell from us. I think we are probably going to sign at least one central defender, cover for right back and a couple of forwards.

Stubbs away for talks with Rotherham, so possibly an Edinburgh return for John Hughes or they might go for Peter Houston.

Last edited by fothy123; 31-05-2016 at 16:48.
Old 02-06-2016, 16:24   #240
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Lustig is in the Sweden squad and Boyata was in the Belgium squad but was unable to recover from a muscle strain injury so he's not going to Euro 2016.

Stubbs new manager of Rotherham confirmed, Lennon, Houston and Hughes being linked with Hibs job.

Talk of 46k season tickets being sold at Celtic for the new season, sounds promising, looks like the arrival of Rodgers as manager has got the Celtic fan base excited.
Closed Thread