Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 13-08-2012, 08:47   #241
H Dot
Trusted User

Jericho on twitter was saying 14th was his last day with WWE for a while, unless something happens at Raw tonight he will have a Summerslam match.

Is Rey not in shape is that why he's wearing the black top?
H Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 08:51   #242
marc_angelus
Trusted User

Yeah, i read he was leaving on the 14th as well, but he was booked in a Summerslam match on Smackdown and it makes no sense not to have the match as it makes the fued a bit rubbish otherwise.

yeah that's probably part of the reason Rey's wearing the top, the other perhaps being that spot he seems to have in every match where the opponent skids him across the ring so he falls out under the bottom rope, that had to burn when he didn't have a top on surely?

Last edited by marc_angelus; 13-08-2012 at 08:59.
marc_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 08:58   #243
H Dot
Trusted User

Saves on the baby oil I suppose
H Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 16:43   #244
marc_angelus
Trusted User

loved Rey's Summerslam attire

at the crowd chanting Kobe Bryant during the match involving PTP. AW was fired from WWE a few days ago because he made a comment about the old Kobe Bryant rape case during a match
Old 21-08-2012, 18:25   #245
hannay
Trusted User

Interesting that they let him on a couple of shows after the rape case comments. Thought he'd got away with it!
hannay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 08:40   #246
Adge
PSN: adge_uk XBL: adgeuk

I think rape has become a key topic in America, so they wanted to distance themselves from that completely.
Old 28-08-2012, 15:27   #247
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

Pure gold, especially from about 2:50 onwards

Old 28-08-2012, 16:26   #248
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Great summing up of his career
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 23:16   #249
Thomasd
Trusted User

That was brilliant, and proof that every now and again the WWE can do something legitimately amusing

Daniel Bryan is the best thing on WWE TV at the moment, he's just absolute gold!

And great work by CM Punk and Jerry Lawler on Raw, old school story telling to solidify the former's heel turn. Top stuff.
Thomasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 20:39   #250
hannay
Trusted User

These 3 hour RAWs are a chore to sit through. Awful this week.
Old 04-09-2012, 22:50   #251
marc_angelus
Trusted User

I felt that way about Raw and Smackdown last week. I find when I have something else to do, watching them is almost something I force myself to do just to keep up to date.. Considering that the "something" lately has been grinding on Diablo 3 it shows just how boring WWE has become!!

On the plus side, if you skip the promos, skits and "rewinds" you can easily watch Smackdown in under an hour and Raw in under 2.

Last edited by marc_angelus; 04-09-2012 at 22:50.
marc_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:40   #252
hannay
Trusted User

Samckdown just has more and more RAW recaps each week. RAW has so much padding now it's stupid. The Daniel Bryan / Kane hug match thing was cringe worthy. Then followed by the Vickie / AJ scene, I'm surprised the crowd weren't booing TBH.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:08   #253
Adge

Thought it might have just been me, but from the comments above you guys feel the same. I’m really bored of the product now, it’s really predictable and it just feels like the same matches every single week. I’m forcing myself to sit through it as well, just to keep up. But really I think it’s coming to a time when I switch off again.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:53   #254
GAmbrose
Trusted User

I came to this conclusion 7 years ago, yay me.

After that I used to read the odd bit because I always found the back room politics fascinating.
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:17   #255
Adge

I’ve only recently restarted watching (maybe 12 – 18 months ago). I turned off for years during the “WHAT?” phase where every promo took hours with the crowd shouting “WHAT?” in between every single sentence. DROVE ME MAD!!! AJ was interesting for a bit, but she constantly does that head tilt thing and skipping and it feels so forced and almost a caricature of what she was. What’s the point of the cobra in love with Axana? Or Ryback? Or Brotus Clay? They drag every gimmick way past the sell-by date until it becomes cringeworthy. Yet they start pushing genuine talent and then suddenly stop in the middle. The tag team division is dire, the IC champ is all but forgotten, The US title changed hands on a pre-show to someone they’ve really not continued any momentum with at all.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:14   #256
GregB
Trusted User

I gave up a few years back but kept up by reading reviews and recaps but even that is becoming a thing of the past. It's a shame as they have great talent but not in the writing or booking areas. Hey ho
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:22   #257
mr starface
He's on the Jazz again...

I don't know why I bother watching really, I fast forward and condense Raw to 20 minutes sometimes.
Old 05-09-2012, 16:47   #258
marc_angelus
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adge View Post
I’ve only recently restarted watching (maybe 12 – 18 months ago). I turned off for years during the “WHAT?” phase where every promo took hours with the crowd shouting “WHAT?” in between every single sentence. DROVE ME MAD!!! AJ was interesting for a bit, but she constantly does that head tilt thing and skipping and it feels so forced and almost a caricature of what she was. What’s the point of the cobra in love with Axana? Or Ryback? Or Brotus Clay? They drag every gimmick way past the sell-by date until it becomes cringeworthy. Yet they start pushing genuine talent and then suddenly stop in the middle. The tag team division is dire, the IC champ is all but forgotten, The US title changed hands on a pre-show to someone they’ve really not continued any momentum with at all.
I actually think the WWE is doing a decent job increasing the prestige of the IC title by having former WWE/World champions competing for it. All they need to do to solidify things is actually have a fued over it, not just random one-off matches like Miz vs Rey the other week.

The tag division is also starting to get a kick in the pants, but there is still a lot to do there before it becomes credible again. On the plus side, It does seem like Truth/Kingston, PTP, Gabriel/Kidd, The Usos and Epico/Primo are legitimate teams these days rather than singles competitors bundled together.

I agree to some extent about Clay/Ryback. WWE took way too long to get them into fueds/angles and then didn't really stick with them. Brodus had angle with Big Show but they then dropped it after Show beat Brodus, and then he had one with Otunga which they just forgot about, then this one with Sandow which also only lasted a short time. Ryback had his fued with Jinder Mahal but then was back to facing locals the week after.. Sandow though, has been really successful since debuting. He's perfected his gimmick, had matches against champions and was in the DX bit of Raw 1000 which must have been the most sought after spot on the show.

The US title needs to be dropped though in my opinion. Now there's no brand split as such, there's not enough time/roster to have 4 title belts defended. In the interim, they should use the WWE 12 game storyline and have the current Swiss champion Antonio Cesaro throw it in the trash and re-introduce the European championship which could eventually lead up to some sort of Europe vs America match at Survivor Series with the winning team choosing which belt remains active. Perhaps someone not from either continent could interfere and neither belt remains active after that.

The biggest problem I have with WWE at the moment is that they don't seem to change champions enough. I'm not after them to be like TNA used to be and have a new champion every week, but there are many times when the story demands a change in champion to keep it fresh and they don't seem to do it anymore. CM Punk should definitely lose to Cena at NoC but I bet he doesn't.
Old 05-09-2012, 17:40   #259
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

Well I started watching during the boom era of the very early 90s - I was probably late to the party if anything but it appealed to me as a 7-year old. But what was different with me to my friends who watched, was that I really connected with Bret Hart when he took over as champion, whilst my friends lost interest without guys like Hogan, Warrior and Savage. So Bret Hart basically kept me hooked until the Attitude era, when my friends finally stopped taking the **** and started watching again.

It was around 2001 I finally forced myself to "grow-up" and stop watching (helped by Chirs Benoit's long-term injury as I was invested in him as I was in Bret years before, and the frustrating catastrophe of the WCW buyout didn't help). So I only rarely looked in on what was happening, though I marked out like a kid (at age 20) when Benoit won the title at WrestleMania XX - but that was basically it.

Then in 2007 the Benoit tragedy happened and I thought for sure that that was it for me - way, way too many young lives lost and ruined by the business, I couldn't face having anything to do with it again.

But then the Hitman changed things again - when I heard he was to return in 2010 I couldn't resist. Since then I've been following things a little more like I did in the early 2000s - not really watching but have an idea of what is happening. The earlier start of Raw has meant that I sometimes watch the first hour (so last week I saw the start of the anger management scenes I posted above), and I watched all of Raw 1,000 and even Money in the Bank, but I don't go any deeper.

I think if you've watched wrestling as a child then it's easier to drop back in. Others who have always been snobby about wrestling probably can't just look past seeing the whole thing as ridiculous (not just the dumb backstage stuff, but the in-ring stuff as well). I wouldn't rule-out going to a live event again at some point (with kids though, my cousins maybe, or if a lottery win comes in then WrestleMania would be hard to resist) but other than that I can't see myself funding the next McMahon family private jet.
Old 05-09-2012, 18:01   #260
dmb6473a
Trusted User

I stopped watching about 18 months ago (I'd basically flicked through episodes for the 2 years or so before that). I think I really lost interest around the time that WCW and ECW shut up shop. The business has changed significantly over the last ten years. Some ways for the better, but a lot of ways for the worse.

In an ideal world, we'd have the booking/talent of the 80s, with some of the 90s attitude, and the media/technology of the new millennium.....and significant competition (not TNA). I think that's just wishful thinking though.
dmb6473a is offline   Reply With Quote