Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 10:33   #161
monkeyman
Giallo Nut!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: liverpool,england
Posts: 1,875
Thanks: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb1975 View Post
He caught Parker in the midriff with a very high (dangerously so) swing of his leg. Rightly booked.

In fact, Michael Oliver seemed to get pretty much everything spot on. The abuse he was getting from Carroll, clearly caught on camera was pretty bad though - thought he could book him or something (I know there'd be a lot more bookings for such things - from all teams - but maybe there should be).
Upper midriff! Looks like he kicks him in the balls to me!

I think the Ref got most things right, but Parker was lucky to stay on the pitch for the off the ball foul he committed after he'd been booked.
The ref played advantage and bottled the 2nd yellow.

No real complaints though. We've known for a while that we lack that spark to unlock teams that come for a draw, but I was suprised Spurs didn't go for it a bit more considering the position they'd have been in if they'd won the game.
__________________
Badge of Honour
monkeyman is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 11:00   #162
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 4,432
Thanks: 60
Thanked 45 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
Suarez had a trial, was found guilty and was punished, it's over and it's time for everyone to move on.
Tell that to Kenny Daglish

I've not said a word about the Suarez incident for weeks/months
__________________
Oh, Man City, the only football team to come from Manchester
Citysmith is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12   #163
Guest 12934
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 7,253
Thanks: 35
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
, suarez had a trial, was found guilty and was punished, it's over and it's time for everyone to move on.
The only reason it's back being discussed in this thread is because of 'kin Kenny and his moronic statement last night. And by the way he's not "winding everyone up", he's just making himself look like an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Upper midriff! Looks like he kicks him in the balls to me!

I think the Ref got most things right, but Parker was lucky to stay on the pitch for the off the ball foul he committed after he'd been booked.
The ref played advantage and bottled the 2nd yellow.

No real complaints though. We've known for a while that we lack that spark to unlock teams that come for a draw, but I was suprised Spurs didn't go for it a bit more considering the position they'd have been in if they'd won the game.
Was an ok match for a 0-0, I don't think it's fair to say Spurs "came for a draw" though. What let them down was Bale being poor by his standards, and I'm glad he was booked for diving (although I suppose the card might have been for the shove on the Liverpool player when he got up).
Carroll did actually have a couple of nice touches, but he still never seems to be in the right place at the right time. Liverpool definitely perked up when Suarez came on.
As others have said, I wish referees would act with zero tolerance when players are so wilfully abusive to them. Any player who swears at or aggressively confronts a ref should be sent off, without a second's thought. It's the only way it'll be stopped. "Respect" my arse.
Guest 12934 is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 11:19   #164
nutter45
burninator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 10,536
Thanks: 1,336
Thanked 579 Times in 379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
....
As others have said, I wish referees would act with zero tolerance when players are so wilfully abusive to them. Any player who swears at or aggressively confronts a ref should be sent off, without a second's thought. It's the only way it'll be stopped. "Respect" my arse.
I think I've posted this before but a couple of years ago I played in a game where the ref did just this. He said very clearly before ko that he would not tolerate dissent at all and would send off anyone who swore at him.

Our oppo weren't the brightest and the game was abandoned just before half time when they had their 5th player sent off!

If only this were applied consistently
nutter45 is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 11:28   #165
Guest 12934
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 7,253
Thanks: 35
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter45 View Post
I think I've posted this before but a couple of years ago I played in a game where the ref did just this. He said very clearly before ko that he would not tolerate dissent at all and would send off anyone who swore at him.

Our oppo weren't the brightest and the game was abandoned just before half time when they had their 5th player sent off!

If only this were applied consistently
Absolutely. If lower level players & kids see the PL superstars doing it, they'll do it too. And I don't for a second buy the "his passion/aggression is part of his game" line; there's plenty of aggression on a rugby pitch, but the players have the utmost respect for the officials.
Guest 12934 is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 11:45   #166
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG
 
Deron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 12,565
Thanks: 55
Thanked 96 Times in 57 Posts
Ref's always used to warn us before a game they wouldn't stand for any abuse.

They'd take so much then they'd usually book a player.

In amateur football, it's not just the fact that he hears it, but the spectators hear it.

My favourite personal stat is that I was never booked in over 10 years of football. I was sneaky like Shearer...
__________________
"If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win." Bill Shankly
500px
Deron is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 13:08   #167
d2000s
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,461
Thanks: 35
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
The only reason it's back being discussed in this thread is because of 'kin Kenny and his moronic statement last night. And by the way he's not "winding everyone up", he's just making himself look like an idiot.arse .
What part of "EVERYONE should move on" do you and Citysmith not understand?? I would love to have a direct line to KK, but i don't. Likewise I haven't even told anyone to stop talking about it either, i politely ASKED a fellow Liverpool fan to not go over old ground for the good of the thread. But it's up to him. If lfc fans stop biting, you lot will clear off/move on to criticising us for something else.

The "winding up" part was addressed at the general nature of Kenny's interview style as raised by Bear, not in relation to the Suarez comment. Please don't confuse the issue.
d2000s is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 13:26   #168
campdave
Trusted User
 
campdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 6,179
Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
What part of "EVERYONE should move on" do you and Citysmith not understand?? I would love to have a direct line to KK, but i don't. Likewise I haven't even told anyone to stop talking about it either, i politely ASKED a fellow Liverpool fan to not go over old ground for the good of the thread. But it's up to him. If lfc fans stop biting, you lot will clear off/move on to criticising us for something else.
Given that you're not a moderator, you can politely ask all you like, but if people want to discuss it, tough ****.
campdave is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 13:39   #169
d2000s
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,461
Thanks: 35
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campdave View Post
Given that you're not a moderator, you can politely ask all you like, but if people want to discuss it, tough ****.
Ermmm i literally just said that. I knew you were slow, but didn't know you were that bad.
d2000s is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 13:46   #170
campdave
Trusted User
 
campdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 6,179
Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
Ermmm i literally just said that. I knew you were slow, but didn't know you were that bad.
Blah blah blah. Stop being such a ******* drama queen.

Last edited by campdave; 07-02-2012 at 13:47.
campdave is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 14:23   #171
Snoopy
PSN: Nevyn1968
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Bristol
Posts: 3,202
Thanks: 284
Thanked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
What let them down was Bale being poor by his standards,
Sorry my fault, I had just signed him in my fantasy football team before the game.
Snoopy is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 14:36   #172
d2000s
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,461
Thanks: 35
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campdave View Post
Blah blah blah. Stop being such a ******* drama queen.
When you think you want to reply to a post, take a few minutes to ensure you fully understand it. When you draft a reply, read the original post again,then your reply. Ask yourself, does this make sense? Does the conversation flow correctly? Am I actually adding something?......if the answer is no to any of these, start over again
d2000s is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 14:46   #173
campdave
Trusted User
 
campdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 6,179
Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
When you think you want to reply to a post, take a few minutes to ensure you fully understand it. When you draft a reply, read the original post again,then your reply. Ask yourself, does this make sense? Does the conversation flow correctly? Am I actually adding something?......if the answer is no to any of these, start over again
In your own words, lol **** off.
campdave is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 14:58   #174
Guest 12934
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 7,253
Thanks: 35
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
What part of "EVERYONE should move on" do you and Citysmith not understand?? I would love to have a direct line to KK, but i don't. Likewise I haven't even told anyone to stop talking about it either, i politely ASKED a fellow Liverpool fan to not go over old ground for the good of the thread. But it's up to him. If lfc fans stop biting, you lot will clear off/move on to criticising us for something else.
I accept that you don't have direct access to Dalglish, and neither do the rest of us. But if the Liverpool manager drags up the subject yet again in a post-match interview trying to take everyone on a 5 week backward step, you can hardly expect people to pretend it didn't happen. I think you'd prefer if people had ignored it because you're embarrassed by him again (you've been one of the more reasonable Liverpool fans here), unlike some of your more bolshy comrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
The "winding up" part was addressed at the general nature of Kenny's interview style as raised by Bear, not in relation to the Suarez comment. Please don't confuse the issue.
Fair enough. Even at that he comes across as someone who wants everybody to dislike him, he's just cultivating the paranoid everyones-against-us siege mentality.
Guest 12934 is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 15:47   #175
saltysam
Trusted User
 
saltysam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: liverpool england
Posts: 12,490
Thanks: 23
Thanked 165 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post

Even at that he comes across as someone who wants everybody to dislike him, he's just cultivating the paranoid everyones-against-us siege mentality.
I'll ask you for the 100th time,as a Forest fan,why do you care to put in context what i mean,if you asked me who Forest's manager is i couldn't tell you off the top of my head because i'm not interested in them.Why are you obsessed with Liverpool?
saltysam is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 16:00   #176
DeadYankee
.
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Orkney
Posts: 34,304
Thanks: 1,292
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,078 Posts
If Forest's manager was promoting racists as being heroic then you'd probably hear about him
DeadYankee is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 16:04   #177
Guest 12934
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 7,253
Thanks: 35
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam View Post
I'll ask you for the 100th time,as a Forest fan,why do you care to put in context what i mean,if you asked me who Forest's manager is i couldn't tell you off the top of my head because i'm not interested in them.Why are you obsessed with Liverpool?
Why do you think I "care", or am "obsessed"? Don't flatter yourself.
You've answered it yourself anyway; you don't know Forest's manager because you're not interested in them. I am interested in Liverpool, I've never denied that and I've directly told you (I won't exaggerate and say 100 times, it was only the once) that they are the most "interesting" club in England.

To quote one of your colleagues, I like discussing football, simple as that
Guest 12934 is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 16:42   #178
BlueDwarf
I MUST HEAR FIREWORKS
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bristol, in Bristol. Not Avon.
Posts: 8,933
Thanks: 52
Thanked 36 Times in 18 Posts
All the referee initiatives (zero tolerance, abuse, etc), are all realyl good, but are enforced inconsistently and everyone seems to give up after a few games.

Thought the ref last night had a good game. The kick/missing the ball from not-racist Suarez couyld have easily been a red. I know he claimed going for the ball, but it appeared he had time to try some more evasive aciton rather than kicking Parker in the balls.
BlueDwarf is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 16:51   #179
d2000s
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,461
Thanks: 35
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
It's just baffling to me why abuse is just accepted as part of football. For me it would be very easy to stop and would have widespread support. Same as diving, if people were handed 3 game bans retrospectively for diving it would stop very quickly.
It's the same old problem though, the authorities are weak/stupid and show no concern for what fans want.
d2000s is offline  
Old 07-02-2012, 16:57   #180
Guest 19514
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,859
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dawg View Post
Oh god, here we go again ....

Are you denying that a 'conversation' between Evra & Suarez even took place
A conversation did, but no one seems to know what was actually said. My point is that evras side of the story wasn't backed up with any proof and its that which seems to be the basis of all the racist claims.

Suarez said the translated word black without abusing him according to suarez, which I don't consider to be a racist statement.

Im just curious what it is that people seem to think was so racist about the whole thing.
Guest 19514 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Manchester United Thread 2011/2012 Alan b Sports Forum 1000 09-03-2012 13:26
The Manchester United 2011/2012 Thread Alan b Sports Forum 1006 16-01-2012 16:29
The Liverpool FC Thread 2011/2012 Alan b Sports Forum 999 23-12-2011 10:28
The Liverpool FC Thread 2011/2012 Alan b Sports Forum 1034 20-11-2011 18:31
The Manchester City 2011-2012 Thread Alan b Sports Forum 1024 09-11-2011 16:27

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network