Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 11-02-2012, 21:51   #1
Barny79
Trusted User

How do you support your team?

Following on from posts in the Manchester United thread, how do you follow and support your team?

I've supported Manchester United since late 1986, I chose United as my mum went to all the home games in the 50s/60s and early 70s, so wasn't aware of any other teams at the time. I lived in Bury at the time, so would have started supporting them if I knew they had a team

Went to my first game in the pre-season of 1990/91, when Denis Irwin made his debut in a friendly against Bury at Gigg Lane in a thrilling 0-0!!!

First league game I saw was in 1991/92 vs Leeds at OT, when my neighbour who was a Season Ticket holder took me, with my favourite player Bryan Robson equalising in the last few minutes of the game. I also got sun-stroke that day due to the red-hot weather that day.

I've had a season ticket in the 2006/07 season and I'm still a member, so try to get to games, but live near Wolverhampton now, so not as easy to get to games.
Old 11-02-2012, 21:52   #2
swanny
RIP

I support Liverpool coz I am a racist and their policies suit my agenda.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 21:55   #3
splobber
Administrator

I support my team by buying a Overfinch and shagging various z list celebrities.
splobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 21:56   #4
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,078 Posts
That's probably true for both posts above

I have been going to Spurs since the early 80s. My family since the 1920s. I went regular in the late eighties but, living in Cardiff, I am now restricted to being a Club member and about six to ten games a season. I couldn't support a club with which I had no connection and I cannot in any way empathise with anyone that supports a club which isn't local to them or connected to their family.

Last edited by DeadYankee; 11-02-2012 at 21:56.
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 22:01   #5
splobber
Administrator

I drive past White Hart Lane at least 2-3 times a month and used to live in a flat overlooking the ground, but I really couldn't give a toss about the game now as it is more about money and scandal then actual skill. I also have access to a VIP box at the Emirates but can't even be arsed with that.
splobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 22:09   #6
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

My dad was a massive Spurs fan who moved the family from down South to N Wales when I was young.

He took me to the Utd Spurs game every year from my 6th birthday onwards and I fell in love with Utd.

Living in N Wales in the 80s the vast majority of people supported Liverpool which was another reason to support Utd.

The first game I ever saw live with my mates without dads there was Utd v Wrexham at the Racecourse in 1990. I used to go and see Chester / Wrexham every month or so because it was cheaper, more convenient and easier to get tickets, but as soon as I passed my driving test I started taking my little brother to Utd as often as I could.

Some years I go to OT 12-15 times a season. Last season I went about 8 times (plus away to City in the Cup). This season I've only been once Too much other stuff going on.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 22:21   #7
B0zza
Awaiting a package

Brighton was my local team so it was where I was taken at 8 years old when I nagged my Dad to take me to the football. They've been my club ever since - through the glory of the (old) first division and the 1983 Cup Final, to the despair of almost losing the club and Hereford '97 (loser goes out the league - fortunately a draw was good enough for us) and have now seen the club gradually claw it's way back. I've had seasons where I missed only 1 game home and away (covering league, Cup, League Cup and JPT) and seasons where my attendance has been less prolific.

I helped form, co-edit, write and sell a fanzine for a number of years.

I live 200 miles away but have a season ticket and get to most games. I also do a lot of aways.

The names of both my children include a small nod to the Albion.

I 'own' and administer the biggest Albion site on the web.

It would be fair to say that Brighton & Hove Albion always has been and always will be the an important part of my life.
B0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 22:37   #8
campdave
Trusted User

By supporting each and every cack handed attempt to justify and defend indefensible actions.

Last edited by campdave; 11-02-2012 at 22:37.
campdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 22:49   #9
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I support Chelsea cos I is a dum postie innit
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:13   #10
stu_69
prohibido

6 years old in the school yard playing football and it Liverpool v man united (being the two biggest supported teams in Ireland) and I chose Liverpool as my best friend did. Supported them for 25 years now.

Been to anfield a lot (first time in 89) and used to go regularly during the 06/07/08 season but since my son has been born and I now live on the south coast (brighton are now my closest team) I haven't been this season at all and only went once last season.

Normally I make an effort to go to see teams near me so I went to White Hart Lane quite regularly, the emirates a few times, last few seasons I went to about 20 games at selhurst park - I dont support any of those teams but I like live football and its nearer than anfield. Sat in the home section a few times for spurs v Liverpool which was difficult but I am not a moron so can keep my mouth shut.

My dad is a lifelong Manu fan and I broke his heart as his first born son and I chose the enemy. He has 4 boys, 2 support manu, 2 support Liverpool so it's evened out.
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:32   #11
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

My Grandad and his brother supported Palace, the latter was apparently at Selhurst for the very first game played there. So my dad was also a Palace fan, natch, but I threw a spanner in the works by supporting whoever was popular when I was a kid, be it Liverpool, Spurs, whoever.

But as I reached adulthood I was growing tired of these fanciful dalliances, and in 1997 two Palace-supporting mates in the sixth-form convinced me to get a season ticket along with them. I did, and the rest is history. My soul-sucking retail job put paid to the season ticket, but I try and get along to games as often as I can with me dad. PALACE 'TIL I DIE!

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 12-02-2012 at 01:34.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:37   #12
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,078 Posts
It's amazing how much the game has changed in just twenty odd years though. Spurs still had wooden stands when I started going and there was no stigma attached to nipping down to Highbury or Loftus Road when Spurs were away. I used to turn up on the day and pay on the gate for the north bank right up until italia 90. What used to cost a fiver now costs a fortune. I paid eighty quid to see the NLD this season. That can't be sustainable if the austerity thing continues to bite.

Last edited by DeadYankee; 12-02-2012 at 01:40.
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:34   #13
the_daddy
PSN - the_daddy2009

Started supporting spurs at the age of nine, it was during the 1990 World cup, only been to a dozen games in all that time, I buy the occasional shirt, have been on the stadium tour, I have no family links to the club but do have a Tottenham Hotspur air freshener hanging in the car.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:23   #14
the_edge30
Give me all your lootz

I support my team FC United of Manchester by attending the games I can (which this season has not been many due to work commitments and having a young child) but the season before I attended well over half of all the fixtures that season in all competitions.

Outside of games I have supported the club via donations and also the purchase of community shares.

Once the boy gets a little older, I will ramp up attendance as he will come with me (hopefully willingly) and season tickets when we have our ground built will be pirchased regardless of whether I can make the games.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:37   #15
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
I support Chelsea cos I is a dum postie innit
Fever Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:02   #16
LouBarlow
Retired Member

In fairness I had many teams I should have followed before them. My Grandfather was a Fulham 'legend' and one of my many cousins played for Tottenham, Millwall and Watford, and I followed his career pretty closely, so have seen all the above mentioned teams more than Chelsea.

However, my dad was a Chelsea fan, and a season ticket holder, as was I, so they were my team, whether I had any choice on the matter or not. And believe me, it was akin to domestic abuse being dragged to watch them back then.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:53   #17
andybhoy
Trusted User

I'm once of those scum bags who supports 2 teams. I was mostly raised in scotland and supported celtic from as early an age as I can remember. I went to a couple of matches at the end of the 86/87 season but then in 1987 we moved to slough, and after a year or two is being completely deprived of football (since scottish football was never broadcast), and not really being involved with football, I left school and on my first job worked for two huge Utd fans. Got completely sucked into supporting utd. It was only a few more years till they won the league.

No one really understands how I could support two teams, but after moving, it was at least a decade before I even saw celtic play again. I loved football and needed something to watch and be involved with.

I refuse to watch if celtic and utd play each other. Was a very long time before they did.

I last saw utd live when keane did haaland. Tbh, I don't miss going to the match any more. It.was nearly 5 hours each way on the supporters coach due to the route they took to pick up and drop off. Really long day, and couldn't justify the cost any more.

So I'm an armchair fan for life and don't care. I live in newcastle, and should I have kids, they'll be free to be newcastle fans and decide if they want to go to the matches.
andybhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:12   #18
escape_adil5
So fresh, So clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0zza View Post
Brighton was my local team...
It would be fair to say that Brighton & Hove Albion always has been and always will be the an important part of my life.
Nice work.

I support Leicester City and only got into them a few years ago, despite living in Leicester most my life. Absolutely love it! I think there's a lot more satisfaction in supporting your local team.

I follow Birmingham City as a second club because that's where I was born and who I followed growing up. But now I'm Leicester through and through.

Season ticket holder and all that. Plus will be living away in Brum next season - but will still travel back for all the Leicester games.

to the Palace fan who's posted too!
escape_adil5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34   #19
campdave
Trusted User

I've got a season ticket at Morecambe, if that earns me Brownie points

Last edited by campdave; 12-02-2012 at 10:34.
campdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:35   #20
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campdave View Post
I've got a season ticket at Morecambe, if that earns me Brownie points
it earns you sympathy