Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Old 27-03-2016, 20:34   #821
ronnygames

Just read 11/22/63. I'm not into time traveling stories AT ALL, but it was a pretty amazing book. Definitely recommended.
ronnygames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 08:40   #822
allan175
Trusted User

This month's book club book is Speed Of Dark by Elizabeth Moon. I'm enjoying it so far (just under halfway through), with a bit of luck I'll get it finished before the meeting!
Old 29-03-2016, 11:13   #823
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,280 Times in 904 Posts
Just re-read "How Steeple Sinderby Wanderers won the FA Cup" by JC Carr, it was written in the 70's I think and largely forgotten, it ranks up there as one of my favourite books of all time, about a village side winning the FA Cup. Really good read if you can get your hands on a copy.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 21:15   #824
Taq
Evil Scientist

I've just finished Advance by K A Duggsy and am currently reading MYLEA: the journey begins by Philip Elrod
Old 11-04-2016, 09:16   #825
allan175
Trusted User

The book for my local book club this month is The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet: Wayfarers 1, only just started, but it's ok so far!

Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (I mentioned above) was pretty good, most people at the book club liked it.
Old 19-04-2016, 16:22   #826
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Thought I would do some more Dickens and am part way through Martin Chuzzlewit. I was quite surprised by the subtly satirical tone at the start and the book keeps you on your toes in that respect.

Not so sure about the lovely Folio Society edition I am reading though - it must be the heaviest book I've ever read! I have to prop it up
Old 20-04-2016, 20:00   #827
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

I'm reading a couple of non fictions

Quiet by Susan Cain
A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Gordon Malkiel
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 20:36   #828
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Just finished Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora. Loved his Mars trilogy and even more so Antarctica but really disliked this. There's some interesting concepts and ideas present but it's crippled by two big factors.

First, the idea of ship AI as narrator is an idea that doesn't work well in practice. It creates a stilted, repetitive prose style that wears thin pretty fast. Second, and more important, I actively disliked all the human protagonists. Didn't establish a connection to anyone. I found them all either stupid, annoying or stupidly and annoying.

Started David Wong's This Book is Full of Spiders now which a refreshing change of pace.

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:05   #829
allan175
Trusted User

Finished last months book club book (The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet), and while it started ok, I wasn't so impressed by the end. I knew it was the first in a series and though I couldn't be bothered reading the next couple, then at the book club someone mentioned there were going to be 10 of them. Definitely can't be bothered!

This month's book is The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North, a book I've wanted to read for a while. A couple of chapters in and it has started off well!
Old 15-05-2016, 20:30   #830
gjkendall
Gooner

Waiting on the new Joe Hill to arrive...I prefer his writing style to his Dad's!
Old 04-06-2016, 10:09   #831
son of thunder
Trusted User

Weirdly I have only just got into Stephen King books and I'm not sure why its taken me so long.

I'm also reading them in a bit of a Random order mainly reading his newer novels before the Classics, although I have recently just read The Stand.

Currently reading Joyland and really enjoying it so far.
son of thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 17:26   #832
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,280 Times in 904 Posts
I read some of the non-scary King stuff, the TV trailer for IT freaked me out as a kid.

Currently rereading the Adrian Mole books, discovered one I hadn't even read before (The Lost Diaries) so was well chuffed!
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 17:32   #833
umajets
full time scribbler

Finished Joe Hill's The Fireman which I thought was so-so. Much preferred NOS4R2.

Just started Stephen King's End of Watch. Enjoying it so far.
umajets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 14:08   #834
son of thunder
Trusted User

Also just started Stephen Kings End of watch.

Feels like I'm back in the company of Old friends.
son of thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 07:32   #835
Nige
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
Started my first ever John Grisham in Rogue Lawyer, little over quarter way in and loving it
Any suggestions of others of his i should try ?
Start at the start and you can't really go wrong, A Time To Kill, The Firm, The Client all fantastic - his output up to 2000 was superb, and he has been very consistent ever since just that they start to get a bit samey once you read quite a few IMO.
Old 30-06-2016, 10:17   #836
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

His early stuff was good. I just read the litigators as was 99p on kindle and it was just meh!
I am bombing through the peter James series of detective books based in Brighton, dead xxx up to number 9 now.
I have a rule not to re-read any books I have read before this year, managed okay so far, just missed a few quick paperbacks for a bath type reads( my Agatha Christie collection)
Oh also on 2nd book in divergent series. Not as good as book one.
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:24   #837
Jessica012
Trusted User

Rich Dad Poor Dad

Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki.
Jessica012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:57   #838
dunkle
Trusted User

What with having the collarbone operated on I have read a fair bit over the last 6 weeks or so

I took Maverick One: The True Story of a Para, into hospital with me after seeing it in local cheap bookshop, it was just something to tide me over, did not expect to be kept in, sadly I was, and sadly this was the only book I had with me. Its not that its bad but its just the same as every other book of its type. I have nothing but envy and respect for anyone in the forces and even more so for the special forces guys, but all these books just now read the same and what with the morphine and everything else, I just could get no interest

The first full book I read upon returning home was The Gray Man (Court Gentry, #1) by Mark Greaney. Now I came across this as I have enjoyed the authors work with the Tom Clancy franchise so thought would give his "Gray Man" series a try. Again, its not a bad book, but its just been done to death.

Note to authors / publishers, the lone brash hero who can kill with nothing more than a paperclip and who despite being a loner has a heart of gold, has been done to death (even Lee Child has become a victim of his own success and chucks the books out too often that they are the same, Reacher turns up, thinks he will not get involved, decides to get involved, sleeps with the women (who he usually does not get on with), buys new clothes, leaves old ones in bin, carrys toothbrush in trousers, beats bad guys, leaves)

Anyway, The Gray Man, at no point did I feel like not finishing it, but it just kept going and going and going. This time lone hero (with complex back story) has to travel across Europe, within strict time limit, perused by many teams (I lost track) full of chaps just like him (but not quite as good, obviously) hell bent on stopping him and killing him (ill not spoil it, but you work it out, its the first in a series) - now remember I was lay there reading this, 20+ staples holding my skin together over the piece of metal holding the 5 pieces of my collarbone together, unable to move neck let alone arm. Here I am reading about this chap who within first chapter survives falling out of an airplane ! you name it, it happens to him. Shot, stabbed, drugged, bones broken, blood transfusions needed ! yet still he keeps going like a Terminator without the metal or charisma

The book did end, and so did my hopes of reading the rest of the series (ive currently whittled that genre down to the "Ryan Lock" series and the "Mitch Rapp" ones, I have dozens more first books in "series" but just cant bring myself to read them as know what they will entail)

Currently reading Star Trek: The Next Generation: Indistinguishable from Magic - as a kid / late teens - The Next Generation was MY show. I was one of those who had the lot on 2 episodes per VHS tape and I read the books. Well my guilty pleasure is I return to them (only the TNG ones) every now and then to read what happened after Nemesis. To be honest im enjoying it. Again shoehorns loads of characters into a situation that would be too expensive and difficult to film, but it serves a purpose. I think ill use them as a literary "Palate cleanser" between other books

Next up, im not sure, but think maybe one of Max Hastings World War 2 books
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 10:19   #839
dunkle
Trusted User

Just finished The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

Now as nearly every other book now seems to have a "Like Jack Reacher ? You will like this" strap line or a sticker proclaiming "The next Lee Child ?" the ones that dont seem to have similar stickers proclaiming them to be "The next Girl on the Train?" - The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware fits the latter

Now I loved the Girl on the Train, that and The Martian are probably my favourite books of last 10 years or so and can be credited with getting me back into reading (much like Stephen King or even the Star Trek TNG novels did in my mid teens) however The Woman in Cabin 10 never really grabbed me

I think the first issue I had is I could not care less for the hero of the book, a "flawed by lovable modern Woman who would be at home in many a mid week ITV drama" type. She felt very much like a weak carbon copy of Rachael from The Girl on the Train, in fact the whole book was very much that, felt like fan fiction addition to Paula Hawkins book

The book starts ok enough but soon just seems to be a setup to make the lead that much more vulnerable. Once the "mystery" itself gets going the book feels on auto pilot, very Agatha Christie light. It just plods along and the main characters flaws just irritate rather than flesh her out and just felt like shouting at her "bloody get your act together" - yes she had problems but she just seemed to dwell on them and as she did so I started rooting for everyone but her

By the time the climax came, again it felt rushed and again I felt myself rooting more for the "baddie" than her. The final few chapters really felt as if the book had been written to a deadline to get it out for the summer with a very rushed ending

It was ok, with some interesting ideas but sdaly the good / clever bits, where never developed enough

Next up for me is the latest "Tom Clancy" Tom Clancy Duty and Honor by Grant Blackwood
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 10:33   #840
Taq
Evil Scientist

I recently finished The Light of Dark: Leah, Tobias, Bethany, Jesse Box Set by D. Gail Miller. Review here: https://edryderblog.wordpress.com/20...d-gail-miller/

It's certainly not a book I would have chosen to read normally (it was assigned to me in a review club), but I ended up enjoying it despite a few misgivings.