Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Old 02-11-2011, 19:05   #1
Guest 57698

Hal Hartley Fans

I thought any Hal Hartley fans would be interested to learn about his new film, Meanwhile. He is trying to finance the completion of the film, and release on DVD, by way of a Kickstarter project -

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...while?ref=live

I think this is an innovative way of financing the film and, if it enables more directors to get their work out there, it should be encouraged.

Last edited by zxcvbn; 02-11-2011 at 22:15.
Guest 57698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 14:01   #2
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

One of my favourite directors, and I'm on his mailing list.

I'll be contributing to this.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 14:17   #3
Guest 57698

Thanks for the post Ratfink, a similar post on DVDTalk was deleted and I have been accused of spamming and self-promotion, so it's nice to hear that somebody else is also interested in Hal Hartley films.

Just to clarify I have no connection with either the Director or the project, I just like some of his films.

It always annoys me when I hear that how hard it is for talented directors to raise finance for films and I wanted to raise people's awareness. Most people will not have heard of Hal Hartley, he's hardly mainstream.

This could be an interesting way for people to fund future projects, by advance selling the DVD. Of course there is a risk attached for those pledging the money, we may never receive our DVD's, but if the risk is small, I think it's one worth taking.
Guest 57698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 14:42   #4
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Yeah, Hartley has always remained underground, but I've everything by him film wise (I just need to pick up Possible Films Vol 2), including a few soundtracks, books and posters as well. He also turned me on to a lot of actors that I hold in very high esteem, such as - but not limited to - Martin Donovan. Trust was the first film of his I saw and it blew my mind (of course I picked up The Unbelievable Truth immediately after), and along with Amateur, Simple Men and Henry Fool is easily among my favourite films of all time. Hartley's consistent though and I always find a new release of his something of an event.

If I had the cash, I'd go for a credit on that movie, but as it is I may be limited to the DVD. Or DVD and Soundtrack. Heck, a signed something is tempting too.

Hal Hartley is well worth shouting about, so good for you!
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote