Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 22:39   #1521
SPB
Balding Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: SN2 - Swindon
Posts: 5,037
Thanks: 8
Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
The Official Sky HD Thread and FAQ

probably source the box from eBay for £20-£30, and I'm sure a local firm won't be too expensive to run some cable - have you got spaces on the lnb?

but..

no idea what they are doing on new multiroom subscriptions.... so a bit moot until that gets answered.

-----

personally think they've ballsed up sky q a bit by not having per profile/per box planners. letting the kids have their own view seems a no brainer development, even of it's physically on the master box with the other recordings...

------
on another note this year was easiest yet to get 60% off for 12 months.

the normal:turn on mysky marketing prefs.

cancel via phone ignoring package reduction and offers .

log back in to my sky/my account via stb

get offer page and click link

not guaranteed of course, worked for me and my mum too

Last edited by SPB; 05-01-2017 at 22:40.
SPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
The Bear (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 22:56   #1522
Alan b
Administrator
 
Alan b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 35,049
Thanks: 171
Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Then I'd only need a new viewing card from Sky. Though even if i do that, how would Sky charge me for it if they don't offer it any more?
They might not send you a card in the first place as they will want to know what you want it for and if they don't offer multiroom anymore I can't see them wanting to send you a card.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
The Bear (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 23:37   #1523
The Bear
Old-gold and black member
 
The Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Molineux
Posts: 16,970
Thanks: 470
Thanked 1,697 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB View Post
probably source the box from eBay for £20-£30, and I'm sure a local firm won't be too expensive to run some cable - have you got spaces on the lnb?

but..

no idea what they are doing on new multiroom subscriptions.... so a bit moot until that gets answered.

-----

personally think they've ballsed up sky q a bit by not having per profile/per box planners. letting the kids have their own view seems a no brainer development, even of it's physically on the master box with the other recordings...

------
on another note this year was easiest yet to get 60% off for 12 months.

the normal:turn on mysky marketing prefs.

cancel via phone ignoring package reduction and offers .

log back in to my sky/my account via stb

get offer page and click link

not guaranteed of course, worked for me and my mum too
Yeah i think it would be too much faff to get all the stuff, plus Sky probably wouldn't do it anyway.

I also did the 60% off thing earlier in the year. Easiest way I've gotten money off my Sky package in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
They might not send you a card in the first place as they will want to know what you want it for and if they don't offer multiroom anymore I can't see them wanting to send you a card.
As I thought. Cheers.
The Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:17   #1524
malcy
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 3,681
Thanks: 58
Thanked 134 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
They might not send you a card in the first place as they will want to know what you want it for and if they don't offer multiroom anymore I can't see them wanting to send you a card.
I had missed this, so they no longer sell multi room to new customers. Is that because you now have to upgrade to Sky Q and pay the extra for that. I understand the secondary boxes with Sky Q stream the content from your main Sky Q box over your home's wifi network ? so don't need their own connection to the satellite dish and a decryption card to view the content.
malcy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:33   #1525
Alan b
Administrator
 
Alan b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 35,049
Thanks: 171
Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy View Post
I had missed this, so they no longer sell multi room to new customers. Is that because you now have to upgrade to Sky Q and pay the extra for that.
Yes I think that is what is happening now, it seems they are pushing Sky Q onto people now that want multiroom.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:41   #1526
The Bear
Old-gold and black member
 
The Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Molineux
Posts: 16,970
Thanks: 470
Thanked 1,697 Times in 578 Posts
That's right. It costs the same per month as Multiscreen did, plus there's no installation for extra boxes because they are wireless and don't need to be hooked up to the dish.
The Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 13:13   #1527
SPB
Balding Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: SN2 - Swindon
Posts: 5,037
Thanks: 8
Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
That's right. It costs the same per month as Multiscreen did, plus there's no installation for extra boxes because they are wireless and don't need to be hooked up to the dish.
And the disadvantages: potentially less recording space (compared to separates),shared planner, 18 month contract and you don't own the boxes (so harder to "quit").

Though you can get a dual mode LNB (that works with normal sky and Sky Q) so there is potentially that route back.
--------------
pretty neat idea though. I'd be tempted if I could get a 12 month contract (on this deal) and make them put dual LNB up!

Last edited by SPB; 06-01-2017 at 13:16.
SPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 13:14   #1528
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan
 
Ste7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Stranded in Chihuahua
Posts: 15,238
Thanks: 1,875
Thanked 333 Times in 247 Posts
Anyone else lose Sky over Christmas due to 'the storm'?

For around two days (typically Christmas Eve and Christmas Day) ours couldn't lock onto anything.

I arranged an engineer visit (after some moaning got it reduced by 50%) but it seems to have sorted itself out now.
__________________
My DVD Collection / My Feedback
Ste7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 23:04   #1529
ASH
Slave to my dogs :)
 
ASH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: In A World Of My Own
Posts: 450
Thanks: 44
Thanked 24 Times in 12 Posts
A word to the warning about sky Q. If it works for you great but there are a LOT of people that are having issues the three main ones being the slave box frequently losing connection to the main, sound dropout and downloads taking a VERY long tome (sometimes not starting for 10 - 15 minutes)

I switched to sky Q for 2 months and there were days with no problems but most days the sound dropouts happened. They are of a few seconds duration - usually around the line "the murderer is ______________________________" which is damn annoying.

link below to one of the many threads about it

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/in...d/td-p/2435729
__________________
"Nobody Can Fully Understand The Meaning Of Love unless he's owned By A Dog" - Gene Hill
ASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 23:20   #1530
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v
 
T4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Lave
Posts: 19,117
Thanks: 273
Thanked 514 Times in 253 Posts
Sounds like my first Sky Digital box which I got in the end of its first year. They gave me an Amstrad and I had sound drops 2-3 times an hour. You'd phone them countless times and after you explained the 2 things they'd ask me to do, reseat the SCART and unplug the power, wouldn't help if I was recording through the RF, they keep swapping for more Amstrad boxes. I went through 5 before they finally let me have a Bush box (only time I've demanded anything from Bush) and I never had the issue again.
T4V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:33   #1531
dannywonderful
Bon Viveur
 
dannywonderful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Coventry,England
Posts: 4,075
Thanks: 0
Thanked 58 Times in 48 Posts
I had Sky Q installed in January and it's been awful. Sound dropouts, frozen screens, EPG not responding to button presses, pixelating while watching, mini screen in the corner with the rest of the screen black, box not turning on if it's been off for a few hours. The biggest peeve though are the lip sync issues.

I only wanted Sky Q for the Ultra HD football, but the service clearly isn't ready yet.
dannywonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 15:53   #1532
mr starface
He's on the Jazz again...
 
mr starface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Essex
Posts: 4,665
Thanks: 27
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've had mine for a week and no issue here as yet, loving it so far
__________________
Turn Heads, Turn on Crowds and Come out on Top
mr starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 19:06   #1533
The Bear
Old-gold and black member
 
The Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Molineux
Posts: 16,970
Thanks: 470
Thanked 1,697 Times in 578 Posts
Hmmm. Just watching the Wolves game on my mate's SkyQ and they only do Ultra HD for Premier League games. Cheap ************.

He gets the occasional sound dropout too btw but not that often and only for 1/2 second. No other issues.
The Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 20:32   #1534
aliman5000
Clown X
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northants
Posts: 1,704
Thanks: 23
Thanked 54 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Hmmm. Just watching the Wolves game on my mate's SkyQ and they only do Ultra HD for Premier League games. Cheap ************.

He gets the occasional sound dropout too btw but not that often and only for 1/2 second. No other issues.


I do wonder how many 4K cameras they have and suspect they are all stationed at premier league grounds, as none of their box office stuff is in UHD - which I think is pretty disgusting.
__________________
This place looks terrible in widescreen...
aliman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 16:54   #1535
gjkendall
Gooner
 
gjkendall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ashburton...the new home of football!
Posts: 13,179
Thanks: 25
Thanked 64 Times in 39 Posts
Toying with dropping moves and sport..I have had the realisation that nearly £120 a month for Sky is criminal, specially as a lot of my viewing is via Netflix. I can watch the Arsenal games (pretty much the only footy I watch nowadays) via 'other methods. Only Sky channels I watch are Atlantic & Fox.

Might upgrade my Sky Broadband to their fibre and get rid of sport & movies, with will cost me approx £65 a month.

Is there anything I should be concerned about regarding Sky fibre?
Anybody else downgrade big time?
__________________
Blog: www.kendallreviews.com
gjkendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 17:05   #1536
wen
What?!
 
wen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: here
Posts: 2,258
Thanks: 190
Thanked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I downgraded 12 months ago, just have the original package, unlimited fibre and line rental. Went from paying £113 a month to £59.90.
Never had a problem with the fibre, might ditch the original package now.

Really sticks in my throat paying £18.40 line rental for a phone that i never use, its about time line rental for internet was abolished.

Last edited by wen; 12-02-2017 at 17:08.
wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 17:59   #1537
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Falkland Islands
Posts: 23,930
Thanks: 288
Thanked 1,280 Times in 904 Posts
I use NowTV for the movies if you actually like them, various offers it generally costs me less than a fiver a month and I can even have a box at my parents for when I'm there
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 18:55   #1538
The Bear
Old-gold and black member
 
The Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Molineux
Posts: 16,970
Thanks: 470
Thanked 1,697 Times in 578 Posts
I added Movies this month. As I had an existing 50% discount still active on my account from when I threatened to cancel, it's only costing me £4.50 p/m (Sports customer). Couldn't grumble at that.
The Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 18:28   #1539
douglasb
Suedehead.
 
douglasb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Exiled in England
Posts: 11,161
Thanks: 148
Thanked 928 Times in 555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkendall View Post
Toying with dropping moves and sport..I have had the realisation that nearly £120 a month for Sky is criminal, specially as a lot of my viewing is via Netflix. I can watch the Arsenal games (pretty much the only footy I watch nowadays) via 'other methods. Only Sky channels I watch are Atlantic & Fox.

Might upgrade my Sky Broadband to their fibre and get rid of sport & movies, with will cost me approx £65 a month.

Is there anything I should be concerned about regarding Sky fibre?
Anybody else downgrade big time?
I got an offer through the post, including what looked like a complete package - Sports, Movies, unlimited fibre, new box etc for £90 a month for 18 months. Not interested personally, but there's clearly scope for negotiation.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 20:15   #1540
gjkendall
Gooner
 
gjkendall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ashburton...the new home of football!
Posts: 13,179
Thanks: 25
Thanked 64 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
I got an offer through the post, including what looked like a complete package - Sports, Movies, unlimited fibre, new box etc for £90 a month for 18 months. Not interested personally, but there's clearly scope for negotiation.

Was there a unique code?
__________________
Blog: www.kendallreviews.com
gjkendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
EPG, sky, sky hd, SkyHD

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official SPL 2009/10 thread - "The Establishment's" Favourite Thread on the Forums!! boonspoon Sports Forum 440 09-05-2010 17:34
The 'Official' MMA Thread Guest 522 Sports Forum 1001 05-03-2007 18:05
*The Official PS3 Thread* TimJBart Video Games Forum 1029 08-09-2006 16:27
Official Liverpool 06 - 07 Thread - The Official Pedant thread! Guest 816 Sports Forum 1013 06-09-2006 10:09
The one and only official "official"Tru calling thread... Lorne.t Television Discussion 79 23-03-2005 19:37

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network