Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 11-03-2007, 13:17   #1
APJ
Waffer thin mint

Setting up a home network

Folks - I'm after a few pointers to save me hours of wading thru XP help files.

I want to set up a home network where I can access the files on my desktop thru my laptop. Desktop links into Netgear ADSL modem/router via ethernet and my laptop links wirelessly to the router. A printer and external hard drive is attached via USB to the desktop.

So . . . . what do I need to do to get the laptop accessing the desktop, the external disk and the printer?

Cheers
APJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 13:30   #2
maddogsuk
Trusted User

Make sure both PC's are in the same workgroup [control panel] - [system] - [computer name tab] Check the workgroup names are the same, if not use the change button and rename and reboot.

On the desktop, select the folder you wish to share, right click and select sharing & security and tick the Share this folder on the network and OK

On the laptop, goto My Computer and select My Network places, wait for a minute and the shared folder should appear.

For the external disk, I think you should just be able to share the whole drive using the guide above.

For the printer, goto [control panel] right click on the printer and select sharing and give it a name. Go to the laptop, control panel, printers and faxes, select Add Printer, press next and select the "A network printer or printer attached to another computer" and browse for the network printer. I cant go any further as I dont have a printer

Last edited by maddogsuk; 11-03-2007 at 13:31.
maddogsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 21:03   #3
Guest 32638
Gamertag: Pazalinio

Theres a wizard in the network connections folder that will guide you to setup a small network quite easily. I think it takes care of the XP firewall for you, but you will still need to play around with your own third party one.
Guest 32638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 22:34   #4
Guest 5595
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogsuk
Make sure both PC's are in the same workgroup [control panel] - [system] - [computer name tab] Check the workgroup names are the same, if not use the change button and rename and reboot.

On the desktop, select the folder you wish to share, right click and select sharing & security and tick the Share this folder on the network and OK

On the laptop, goto My Computer and select My Network places, wait for a minute and the shared folder should appear.

For the external disk, I think you should just be able to share the whole drive using the guide above.

For the printer, goto [control panel] right click on the printer and select sharing and give it a name. Go to the laptop, control panel, printers and faxes, select Add Printer, press next and select the "A network printer or printer attached to another computer" and browse for the network printer. I cant go any further as I dont have a printer
Thanks for this. I've been trying all day to get this working on my new laptopwithout luck. Your instructions above have got it working
Guest 5595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 23:03   #5
APJ
Waffer thin mint

Thanks all - will be trying tomorrow!
APJ is offline   Reply With Quote