Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Old 22-03-2006, 21:01   #1
Guest 11700
Trusted User

Reading/Leeds Festival 2006 thread

From BBC 6 Music:

22 March 06 - It's been a closely guarded secret so far, but 6 Music can exclusively reveal some of the top headline acts for this years Reading and Leeds festival.

According to Feeder who will also be performing Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, and Audio Slave will be topping the bill.

We caught up with the band earlier (March 22) ahead of their second re-scheduled gig at the Hammersmith Apollo, and Taca and Mark let the cat out of the bag - the rest won't be revealed until April 3.

The boys also told 6 Music they're set to play T in the Park, and how singer Grant Nicholas has been getting on since losing his voice because of blood on his vocal chords:

"Well definitely he is nervous because he can't control it, if it goes it goes, but we did a really good show and he's in good spirits. He sang really well last night no matter how apprehensive he was about going on stage."

Seems like a reasonably credible source to me, and those headliners seems consistent with most of the rumours doing the rounds. As expected though, no Pearl Jam

Last edited by Bish; 29-03-2006 at 14:00.
Guest 11700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 21:23   #2
stampax
Trusted User

audio slave and frnaz ferd arnt big enough to headline though are they??????????? fair enough high up on the bill, but headliners?
stampax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 21:31   #3
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

I'd say FF are big enough. Especially after last years Arena gigs.

Audioslave on the other hand...
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 23:07   #4
SIMON ADEBISI

Audioslave? Could be good. Be nice if they played a few old hits. A Jesus Christ Pose here and a Killing In The Name Of there.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 23:22   #5
Guest 4542
XBLive: foostymile

Wouldn't count on Jesus Christ Pose, but they do play Killing in the Name, Sleep Now In The Fire, Spoonman and Black Hole Sun....
Guest 4542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 23:26   #6
rh67
Gamertag: Rustmonster1982

Saw Franz at Reading in 2004, they were one of my disappointments of the weekend.

Not impressed by any of the headliners, hopefully those are just rumours.
rh67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 06:52   #7
mullethead
Hold the S, I am an ain't

Quote:
Originally Posted by spida1998
According to Feeder who will also be performing Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, and Audio Slave will be topping the bill.
I've got to disagree with most of the earlier posts, other than Audioslave I think that's a fairly weak bunch of headliners compared to some of the bands they've had in the past.

Audioslave are easily big enough to headline and it would make sense if the other two were somewhere on the bill, but if they are actually headlining
Old 23-03-2006, 08:05   #8
douglasb
Suedehead.

All big bands, but the kind of bill that makes you think "Ooh ... gonna be classic"? Nah ... How much longer are Kaiser gonna milk the album?

Last edited by douglasb; 23-03-2006 at 08:05.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 08:37   #9
Guest 11700
Trusted User

Agree with previous couple of posts - Audioslave fits with the style of Reading's previous Sunday headliners (I assume they'd be on Sunday). Franz are getting big, but at best I'd say they were Radio 1 Tent headliners, or 2nd/3rd on the main stage.

Kaiser Chiefs similar - are they due a new album out before then? If not, it really is milking unemployment, surely everyone has seen these songs performed live now?
Guest 11700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 08:44   #10
Guest 2758
Here and now

I think all three are pretty lame headliners but as usual its all about who is on the other stages. I've only watched two of the nine main stage headliners from the last three years. (Pixies and White Stripes).
Guest 2758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 09:45   #11
Guest 3125
Trusted User

Audioslave could totally headline, the other bands should never have been considered. The second stage perhaps for Franz, but the KC shouldn't be let in the park!
Guest 3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 09:57   #12
Radioairhead
Trusted User

Seen Audioslave a few times and they would be great for the final band on the sunday, expecially now as they have started to delve into the Rage and Soundgarden back catologue. Saw them at Brixton last year and have never seen the place crazier than when they played Killing in the name!!

Kaiser Chiefs on the other hand have only got around 15 songs tops and no way deserve to headline, especially after just one album.
Radioairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 10:19   #13
chopperwilson
Nick Wilson

Saw Franz Ferdinand a coupleof years ago at Reading, though they were pretty good.

I reckon any of the three could headline, perhaps the only doubt is the Kaiser Chiefs. Though look at the Strokes they headlined after 2 (maybe only 1) albums

Nick
chopperwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 10:24   #14
Guest 2758
Here and now

We have a difference of opinion Jim!

I don't think any of those bands are worthy of being headliners and I think its rare that there are bands on each day that look like they haven't "earned it". The chances are though if these are the headliners then talks with other bands fell through. I'm not over keen but the originally touted Alice Cooper and Muse would make more sense.

I'll admit i'm biased against Audioslave, especially after seeing RATM twice and Soundgarden once and hating them both but to say any of those bands don't deserve to me on the bill is a nonsense. If you don't like the headliners go and see something more interesting in the smaller tents.

chopperwilson: The Strokes headlined after just one album as did The Darkness.
Old 23-03-2006, 11:28   #15
chopperwilson
Nick Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan-Wind
We have a difference of opinion Jim!

I don't think any of those bands are worthy of being headliners and I think its rare that there are bands on each day that look like they haven't "earned it". The chances are though if these are the headliners then talks with other bands fell through. I'm not over keen but the originally touted Alice Cooper and Muse would make more sense.

I'll admit i'm biased against Audioslave, especially after seeing RATM twice and Soundgarden once and hating them both but to say any of those bands don't deserve to me on the bill is a nonsense. If you don't like the headliners go and see something more interesting in the smaller tents.

chopperwilson: The Strokes headlined after just one album as did The Darkness.
I loved Soundgarden, though never got the chace to see them live, did manage to see RATM a couple of times and really enjoyed them. Got both Audioslave albums and they are both good IMNHO.

Good point forgot about the darkness, so it is possible to play with one albums material.

Nick
chopperwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 13:01   #16
mullethead
Hold the S, I am an ain't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan-Wind
The chances are though if these are the headliners then talks with other bands fell through.
I'm pretty sure this would be the case. Off the top of my head, of the 'Big Bands' that could be classed as headliners and would draw the crowd:

RHCP - Have a new album out this year, but will be doing their own shows so will probably be touring elsewhere

Foo Fighters - Currently on tour and are doing their own shows in the UK this summer.

Metallica - Nothing to promote but are currently in the studio, doing an 'Escape from...' tour but they will be headlining the Download Festival

Green Day - Didn't they headline last year? I think they're currently taking a break before going into the studio so wouldn't be available.

I'll try to think of some more later.....
mullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 13:30   #17
Guest 2758
Here and now

Mullethead, its was Foos last year Green Day the year before. There are loads of act that would fit the bill from Oasis (thank god its not), Coldplay, White Stripes, Kanye West to staple hard rock acts like Alice Cooper or AC/DC (are these even still together?)

People get too worked up by who is headlining. Its shouldn't be a major factor in having a great weekend.
Old 23-03-2006, 20:36   #18
Guest 28305
Trusted User

Saw Franz at Leeds when they played and to be honest they bored the pants off everybody exept the die hards at the front who would have watched them on a uni tour anyway..

now Audioslave..thats a different matter....can you see my musical leanings here
Guest 28305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 21:25   #19
carlmcg
Top of the Pops

I don't think I'm that ignorant musically but until the tracks were named I didn't even know who Audio Slave were. To headline a festival, you need to be a household name, bands like The Strokes and The Killers have only been 2nd on the bill in previous years when bands like Foo Fighters have been headlining.

Last edited by carlmcg; 23-03-2006 at 21:26.
carlmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 22:06   #20
Guest 2758
Here and now

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmcg
I don't think I'm that ignorant musically but until the tracks were named I didn't even know who Audio Slave were. To headline a festival, you need to be a household name, bands like The Strokes and The Killers have only been 2nd on the bill in previous years when bands like Foo Fighters have been headlining.
The Strokes have headlined the main stage before and apparently The Killers drew a larger crowd than the headlining Pixies last year. I'm at a loss as to why but then I love Pixies and thought The Killers were poor when they were at pub level.