Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 23-05-2005, 20:30   #1
Dan
Passed away :(

Your standard company XP image apps

Going to be building a new Windows XP image for a Dell Optiplex GX280, this PC should be our standard corporate PC. Was wondering what standard apps do you use for your corporate XP images? Any good free stuff that you use?

Last edited by Dan; 23-05-2005 at 20:46.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2005, 20:41   #2
Kryten
Administrator

Office, CD-Writer Software (Dell supplied if machine has writer) and that's about it. Everything else is on request. We do add the google toolbar to our Win2k machines, but no need on XP SP2. We have other apps we put on laptops only, but are of no use to desktop users (e.g. internet backup software, Blackberry software etc).
Old 23-05-2005, 21:41   #3
Dave h-j
Suitable for vegetarians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
Office, CD-Writer Software (Dell supplied if machine has writer) and that's about it.
How about anti-virus....

We also load stuff like novell, Vendor tools/help files and then any company specific stuff (Clarify, VPN software, software delivery tools, etc)....

EDIT: Also, a standard build is also a great time to think how you will monitor and maintain software on a system. It might be great now, but what happens if you need to roll out a software/patch upgrade or a new application. A little work now could make that task a whole lot easier in the future...

Last edited by Dave h-j; 23-05-2005 at 21:43.
Dave h-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2005, 21:49   #4
kohoutec
Slanted and Enchanted

We use Office XP, Acrobat Reader, Mcafee AV, Host On Demand (a web based java terminal emulator for mainframe stuff) and a couple of bespoke apps used corporately. Think thats about it. Everything else is either AD deployed repacked MSIs or manual installs.
kohoutec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2005, 22:30   #5
Guest 30887
Trusted User

Acrobat Reader
EnZip (although tbh the built-in Zip support in XP is probably fine for most users these days).

Other than those, Office, Novell client and Sophos, we don't put anything else on the image because we run ZENworks and any other apps people need they can just install themselves off NAL.

btw, we found we had to switch the compatability mode for SATA in the bios of our 280s before they'd image reliably. Worth a go if you start having problems when testing.
Guest 30887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 03:27   #6
Kryten
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave h-j
How about anti-virus....

Ooh, yeah that's on too And Acrobat (put V7 on now as it loads quickly). Also we have corporate winzip license so that goeson too.

Last edited by Kryten; 24-05-2005 at 03:28.
Kryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 07:01   #7
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjg1
btw, we found we had to switch the compatability mode for SATA in the bios of our 280s before they'd image reliably. Worth a go if you start having problems when testing.
Once imaged do you turn the compatability mode off? Are there any performance issues running in compatability mode?
Old 24-05-2005, 07:48   #8
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

Office
Visio
Project
Acrobat Reader
Java RunTime
QuickTime
Macromedia plug-ins
ZipCentral
SPSS
Sophos AV

+ a load of other stuff that I can't remember at the minute
Guest 1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 07:59   #9
fabbers
XBL: fabbers

Don't forget a SID changer unless the app your using to image does it or your using SYSPREP
fabbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 08:06   #10
Guest 30887
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Once imaged do you turn the compatability mode off? Are there any performance issues running in compatability mode?
I haven't noticed any performance problems with compatability on (and they're quick anyway compared to the 260s and 270s). Although even if there was, we wouldn't turn it back off as they're reimaged fairly often.
Old 24-05-2005, 09:10   #11
IAmATeaf
Breast milk addict!

We prepare the initial image using a scripted Windows XP install that you kick off using a boot disk, it then installs WinXP, latest XP Security Updates, Office, Adobe, AV software etc. The hard drive is then ghosted and we use Ghost Enterprise to distribute the image to the target PCs and then run GhostWalk which effectively renames the image, this is followed by using the Ghost APIs to join the newly built PC onto the domain, any post-install stuff is also done here using a serious of automated logon scripts before the PC is ready for use.

I've much simplified the process above but we successfully used the above to remotely roll out XP to 5000+ desktops 2 years ago and are currently in the middle of a desktop refresh exercise so will be remotely distributing a newly created image with SP2 etc... to 5000+ desktops.
IAmATeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 16:27   #12
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf
We prepare the initial image using a scripted Windows XP install that you kick off using a boot disk, it then installs WinXP, latest XP Security Updates, Office, Adobe, AV software etc. The hard drive is then ghosted and we use Ghost Enterprise to distribute the image to the target PCs and then run GhostWalk which effectively renames the image, this is followed by using the Ghost APIs to join the newly built PC onto the domain, any post-install stuff is also done here using a serious of automated logon scripts before the PC is ready for use.

I've much simplified the process above but we successfully used the above to remotely roll out XP to 5000+ desktops 2 years ago and are currently in the middle of a desktop refresh exercise so will be remotely distributing a newly created image with SP2 etc... to 5000+ desktops.
I've done something similar, i've got an XP image which works for every PC from a Pentium III 450 MHz all the way up to a Pentium 4 non HT processor. I run the mini-setup part of sysprep using sysprep.inf as the answer file, this also enables the PC to be joined to the domain.
Old 24-05-2005, 16:28   #13
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjg1
I haven't noticed any performance problems with compatability on (and they're quick anyway compared to the 260s and 270s). Although even if there was, we wouldn't turn it back off as they're reimaged fairly often.
What imaging product do you use?
Old 24-05-2005, 16:57   #14
Guest 30887
Trusted User

Novell ZENworks - the imaging software is just a small part of the product though. Effectively pretty plain linux-based imaging, it boots linux either from a local partition, off a CD or off the network, contacts the directory to check if it should update, if not then it boots into Windows. There's a maintenance mode for manually up- or downloading an image to the server.

All works rather nicely, if a PC needs imaging you can just do 3 clicks in C1 and tell them to reboot the machine.

But as you mention domain, I'm guessing you're in a MS shop - not that that would preclude you from running ZEN, just that you're not likely to be using it.

(sorry, bit of a long answer - studying for a ZEN exam next week so have far too much of it occupying my brain right now!)

Last edited by sjg1; 24-05-2005 at 17:11.
Old 24-05-2005, 18:46   #15
Dan

Our system is rather archaic, we have effectively no system to Ghost machines over a network, though we are currently trialling a product calling WinInstall, which not only helps us package our applications into MSI's for easy deployment but also allows us to push images out.
Old 24-05-2005, 19:04   #16
ShaneC
Thread Terminator

We use landesk to roll out the XP image, it also rolls out the security patches and additional applications that we have packages for.
ShaneC is offline   Reply With Quote