Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 09-10-2002, 17:20   #1
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Just seen my first pirate DVD

Scooby Doo

Well not 'seen' as i had a quick look at what it looked like and turned it off.

We've kind of borrowed it from a friend of a friend at work, i think they actually think it's a genuine copy as admitedly at first glance it looks OK but to those of us who know what DVDs look and feel like it's pretty shoddy.

For a start it's in a tacky amaray, which we know Warners don't do and there is a huge spelling mistake on the front cover, also the little box that shows what regions it is in the world simply states 'ALL', never seen that before but the overall quality just screams 'PIRATE'.

So i put it in my player and the menu screen came straight up, play movie, scene selection and audio options (no extras). Selected Dolby Digital and then played movie.

First thing i notice is the 'AOL' thingy at the bottom of the Warner Bros logo is cropped, then the picture came up and it reminded back when i saw my first pirate video of Aladdin. But at least it was Widescreen.

Shockingly bad picture quality, even for DVD, no better than VHS and the audio was laughably 'so not Dolby Digital'.

I refuse to watch it, the rest of my faimly, i think, think i'm being a bit snobbish. I know it's just a film but it's the principal.

Apparentely it cost around 8 quid at a boot sale so i come up with the argument that for around a fiver more you could get the official thing, better quality, more extras etc.

This is prolly all just old news but it's the first pirate DVD i've experienced and tbh i'm a little shocked at how rapidly these are becoming available in our area. Numerous other people at work have said 'Oh i saw XXX / Spiderman' on DVD last night even when i'm turning blue in the face saying they're not officially available yet.

Why can't they see what i see?, i feel a right elitist snob.
Old 09-10-2002, 17:28   #2
Jimmyboy
^__^

The stigma attached to buying pirated material is nothing compared to that of actually buying Scooby Doo.

Last edited by Jimmyboy; 09-10-2002 at 17:29.
Jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 17:31   #3
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Damn, and I thought this thread was going to be about Cutthroat Island

---
So many films, so little time...
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 17:32   #4
Guest 19120
Banned

Its always worth paying for the real thing pirate dvd's have always been **** quality. i admit to doing a sly copy of a dvd ive lent or got from blockbusters but thats different theyr clones!! i'd never dream of buying them though!!

And WFT is Scoobydoo all about???
Guest 19120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 17:34   #5
Jon B
Trusted User

Robby, I'm with you on this one.

I wouldn't want to own a Pirate and I'm glad I don't (even if it was a movie that I really liked, and the sound and picture quality were pretty good)

I can understand people who have bought the original Star Wars Trilogy and their argument that the LD transfers are going to be the best bet at getting the movie's in their original form. That seems fair enough, given that I think most fans will still buy the SE's as well (when they are released!)

Almost always, these Pirate copies have sub-standard picture and sound quality, and I just can't see why anyone would want to own something like this? (Can't they wait??)

Who would wear a fake Rolex?! - What's the point??

Rant over

Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 17:48   #6
Tob
Trusted User

With all due respect if you buy a pirate DVD that is not yet out on DVD, surely it will be a camcorder job from the cinema?? What were you expecting, crystal clear sound and picture and the insert that probably hasn't even been designed?

I am currently in China and if you buy anything that is already out on DVD then it will be perfect (minus extras). I collect DVDs so I only own the odd one or two dodgy releases (e.g. I bought Episode II for about 80p but will buy the official release next month as I want the extras and the second disc - it is perfect, even down to the commentary. I also picked up the Indy laserdisc rips.)

If its a recent release, simply don't bother.
Tob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 17:57   #7
Guest 10192
Trusted User

Yes, I have to admit I've had the Star Wars trilogy on dvd and the pisture and sound are pretty good. Also had Spiderman on dvd but the picture and sound on that was crap just like the vhs pirate copies.
Guest 10192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 17:57   #8
Guest 17778
Alias

I've never seen a pirate DVD but I've seen a pirate VHS of Resident Evil not long ago, it was bad quailty, even for VHS.
Guest 17778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 18:07   #9
mjb1975
Blandiblub

the funny thing is my sister tells her friends about watching various new films on DVD at home (saying that I get them), and they all insist that they must be pirates and don't believe her when she says they're genuine releases from the USA/Canada!

I think we've been spoiled with the amount of information we're privy to on here!

Forums rule
Old 09-10-2002, 18:12   #10
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Quote:
Originally posted by mjb1975

Forums rule
Hell yeah. I was wondering what to expect, wether it would be a camcorder job or what but it isn't, not sure how or where they sourced it from but it wasn't good.

It's pretty remarkable how they don't notice how naff the picture is.
Robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 18:16   #11
Hamburger3
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon B

I wouldn't want to own a Pirate and I'm glad I don't (even if it was a movie that I really liked, and the sound and picture quality were pretty good)

I can understand people who have bought the original Star Wars Trilogy and their argument that the LD transfers are going to be the best bet at getting the movie's in their original form. That seems fair enough, given that I think most fans will still buy the SE's as well (when they are released!)

Almost always, these Pirate copies have sub-standard picture and sound quality, and I just can't see why anyone would want to own something like this? (Can't they wait??)

Rant over

Hamburger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 18:16   #12
Hamburger3
Trusted User

Quote:

Rant over

To impress women ?

Hamburger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 18:24   #13
Guest 10192
Trusted User

:shocker: :rocker:
Guest 10192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 18:35   #14
Guest 16332
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by John Hodson
Damn, and I thought this thread was going to be about Cutthroat Island

Last edited by bripmo; 09-10-2002 at 18:36.
Guest 16332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 18:42   #15
Guest 8645
Banned

To be fair - most of, if not all the pirates i have or have seen have been above VHS quality, its just a case of knowing who you're getting them from and what source they're from.

I had a Lord Of The Rings screener DVD (The one that was sent to Oscar Voters and was actually found in a dustbin!) and the quality was outstanding apart from one thing and that was the warning at the bottom that scrolled past every half hour.

I had a Spider-man dvd that was outstanding in quality but i'll still buy the proper release, just to have it.

What i've found is more often than not - buying off the net is a better option as a lot of these discs are taken from an SVCD source - whereas the man on the street seems to like selling Cam-Corder jobbies.

The thing that gauls me the most though is, take for instance, a recent article in Empire Magazine about piracy - basically an 'expert' on the subject refused once in the whole article to mention that there are genuinely good copies out there - instead was the age old 'Oh it was taken from a cam-corder, all pirates are' when it blatently isn't true. It seems though that the simple cam-corder job is diminishing because of the many other ways of getting the film, which i wont list here because of the T+C's.

BTW - I find it slightly amusing that this kind of talk is fine, but when i started a thread about my pc and the troubles it has with AVI files - the thread was closed down because i mentioned i downladed a DVD Rip - a simple edit probably would've done the trick.
Guest 8645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 18:59   #16
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Quote:
Originally posted by GrossePointeJack
BTW - I find it slightly amusing that this kind of talk is fine, but when i started a thread about my pc and the troubles it has with AVI files - the thread was closed down because i mentioned i downladed a DVD Rip - a simple edit probably would've done the trick.
I'm having second thoughts myself, i posted this thread before i saw what happened in here: http://thedvdforums.com/forums/showt...08#post1537908

No doubt i'll get told off for this an all, even though i'm not advocating pirates.
Robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 19:06   #17
john316
XBL: morro316

I'd probably buy the Indy and Star Wars Trilogy on Bootleg DVD if they were of broadcast quality and in widescreen purely cos its the best way of getting a decent version of it for the forseeable future. I certainly wouldn't watch a pirate DVD just to save myself a couple of months wait!
john316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 19:20   #18
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally posted by GrossePointeJack
I had a Lord Of The Rings screener DVD (The one that was sent to Oscar Voters and was actually found in a dustbin!) and the quality was outstanding apart from one thing and that was the warning at the bottom that scrolled past every half hour.

I had a Spider-man dvd that was outstanding in quality but i'll still buy the proper release, just to have it.

Agreed. Attack of the Clones SVCD (the centropy release) was another one of outstanding quality. I get a lot of pirates (no - don't ask me where) and the quality is usually okay and occasionally surprisingly good.

It never stops me buying the dvd either. As long as it wasn't cack.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 19:51   #19
Guest 12969
Magical Woozle

I've got two pirate DVDs which I bought by mistake. They'd been advertised as genuine on Ebay, and if it hadn't been for the terrible packaging of one of the DVDs, I most likely wouldn't have known! The quality of the image on both DVDs is superb. Still, I was, and still am, annoyed that these were sold as originals. I'd spent a fair time going through the listings for these two disks finding the ones that claimed to be original. The guy said he'd refund the money if I returned the disks to him (in hong kong - He advertised as being in the US), but really - Would you trust a guy to actually do this when he has the disks, after he's already pulled a fast one on you? So, looks like I'm stuck with them. Basically, this was my first purchase on Ebay, and means I will never guy from them again. I don't even think they'd do much if I complained, really.
Guest 12969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 20:20   #20
Boink!
Turned out nice again.

Thanked 3,961 Times in 1,325 Posts
Quote:

I wanted the original Star Wars trilogy and as they are only available on laserdisc, I went out and bought the Definitive Box Set, a laserdisc player and a demodulator for the AC3 sound. It cost quite a bit, but I'm not bothering with EPs 1,2 & 3 and whatever Mr. Lucas is going to force [haha] upon us in the distant future.

Boink!
Boink! is online now   Reply With Quote