Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 03-03-2012, 20:33   #1
DJBenson
Android Defector

Location: Burnley - Eagerly awaiting Bolton and Blackburn's demotion...
Setting Up A Home Network

We are about to have the flooring done at our house so it is the perfect opportunity to wire up all of the rooms properly.

My internet connection comes in under my stairs (which is essentially the middle of the property). I plan on running 2 runs of CAT5e to each room back to the cupboard under the stairs.

I have a couple of (possibly numpty) questions before I embark on this;
  • I've read guides on wiring the wall sockets but how difficult are they in reality?
  • Am I best to buy ready-made cables and cut off one of the connectors to attach to the sockets rather than having to crimp ethernet sockets onto the other end myself?
  • I'll need a switch but I'm not sure on the number of ports I require. If I'm wiring up 4 rooms with 2 sockets each, is that 8 ports I need?
  • Is it as easy as running the cables between the wall sockets and the switch then connecting the switch to my broadband router (I guess via the uplink socket)
  • I only have two devices with a gigabit ethernet port (well 3 if you count the router) so is CAT5e fast enough?
  • Do I need a gigabit switch? I'm guessing if I want to use the gigabit devices at optimal speed then this is "yes" but not sure if CAT5e and gigabit play well together

As I said, I might have asked a numpty question or two but want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.
DJBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 20:37   #2
DJBenson
Android Defector

I should also ask - is it OK to run the cables "bare" under the floorboards or should I use some trunking?
Old 03-03-2012, 23:11   #3
wseed
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBenson View Post

I've read guides on wiring the wall sockets but how difficult are they in reality?
Pretty straightforward just buy a proper punch down tool rather than a plastic one and follow the same wiring standard for all your connections.

Quote:
Am I best to buy ready-made cables and cut off one of the connectors to attach to the sockets rather than having to crimp ethernet sockets onto the other end myself?
Patch leads (the sort with RJ45 connectors on) are flexible cables made up of lots of strands per wire these are not suitable for punch down connectors. Your "infrastructure" cable should be solid cable where each strand is a solid core such as this. I have over half a box of this remaining following my house wiring drop me a note if you're interested in a deal on the remainder I think I've used in the region of 100m to run my 8 sockets. I'm in the NW too.

Quote:
I'll need a switch but I'm not sure on the number of ports I require. If I'm wiring up 4 rooms with 2 sockets each, is that 8 ports I need?
Yes assuming you want each live. If you only plan on 4 devices you could chose to only patch 4 in from a patch panel and have a 4 port switch.

Quote:
Is it as easy as running the cables between the wall sockets and the switch then connecting the switch to my broadband router (I guess via the uplink socket)
No Just as you shouldn't run the patch leads between your floors you can't crimp RJ45 connectors to a sold cable so you want to run from wall plates to wall plates or to a patch panel like this. For the latter you'd also need Keystone Jacks Note I bought from scan and not all the keystones where wired the same. I checked the pin outs and following the colours on the labels was the way to go.

Quote:
I only have two devices with a gigabit ethernet port (well 3 if you count the router) so is CAT5e fast enough?
For the money difference and the rate the standards change you'd be foolhardy to not use the latest. The cables is the biggest cost difference between CAT5e and CAT6 unless you buy from more expensive places like Screwfix or CPC I had to get 2 of my wall plates from Screwfix and they only had CAT5e and they where £££ I found they do connect at 1G though but I'll be replacing them after my plasterer has finished.

Quote:
Do I need a gigabit switch? I'm guessing if I want to use the gigabit devices at optimal speed then this is "yes" but not sure if CAT5e and gigabit play well together
If you already have a switch you could use that with CAT6 cable and sockets and upgrade the switch as requirements and prices change I saw an 8 port gigabit switch for ~ £30 on a deals site not long back so they're not ott.

Quote:
As I said, I might have asked a numpty question or two but want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.
wseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
DJBenson (14-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 23:15   #4
GalaxyBlue
Trusted User

I'm certainly no expert but I cabled my house in sept 2009 and it's still working ok. Below is what I did, but I can't guarantee it is the best way to do it.

1 - I found it very easy to wire the sockets. I used a "krone" tool from work and followed guides on youtube with no problems. It was just important to realise that american's use different wiring diagrams to europe so I made sure I followed a UK guide.

2 - I used a roll of cat5e to connect to the wall sockets and then use bought cables to go between the wall socket and the device ( I haven't got a crimper).

3 - Yes, you would need an 8 port switch. I only put one socket in each room and bought a switch for each room that needs more than one connection.

4 - Yes, though most modern switches have ports that automatically uplink if required, it doesn't matter which port you use.

5 - CAT5e is fast enough for gigabit networks. When I copy between PCs I get about 80 to 100 MB/s.

6 - I use gigabit switches in all the rooms and would personally recommended this. All my PCs have gigabit ports, but some devices only have 100meg. They all work together fine without any issues.

7 - I didn't use any trunking at all apart from where it goes outside and into my garage. Its not caused any problems in the year and a half its been installed.

I used one of these to strip the cables -

http://www.maplin.co.uk/sheath-stripper-4260

though it was only £7 when I bought it. It made it very easy as I'm not the best at stripping cables - you just put the cable in, turn it 90 degrees and the cable comes off easily.

This looks exactly the same as the "krone" tool I used -

http://www.maplin.co.uk/impact-punch-down-tool-266995

The hook is very useful to pull the wires back out if you cock it up - I had to use it a few times.
GalaxyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
DJBenson (14-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 23:16   #5
wseed
Trusted User

Quote:
I should also ask - is it OK to run the cables "bare" under the floorboards or should I use some trunking?
You should be fine for the most part but watch running your network cable near to electrical cable cross it at right angles and don't run parallel. Running near hot pipes you should be OK as the melt point of the UPVC is quite high but I used pipe lagging near to all mu pipes and foil insulation in areas that where tighter. Just mack sure you read up on the bend radius for the cable don't kink any (I did so I rewire the section) and don't crush or pierce it with floor boards, nails screws...
Old 04-03-2012, 15:45   #6
allan
Trusted User

Shouldn't really have any issues running near or next to power cables as long as it's only short lengths. Most offices etc. have data and power running in close proximity in wall trunking.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:11   #7
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

With your 8 port switch, don't forget your internet arrives in the same area, so you'll need a spare port in the switch to feed out the internet to the wall ports.
In reality (and assuming your router has 4 ports in it) you'd plug one wall socket into the router and also plug the router into the switch. Then plug the remaining wall plugs into the seven other switch sockets.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:13   #8
DJBenson
Android Defector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbloke View Post
With your 8 port switch, don't forget your internet arrives in the same area, so you'll need a spare port in the switch to feed out the internet to the wall ports.
In reality (and assuming your router has 4 ports in it) you'd plug one wall socket into the router and also plug the router into the switch. Then plug the remaining wall plugs into the seven other switch sockets.
Yeah it had crossed my mind that most domestic switches don't have a dedicated uplink port. My internet is provided by Virgin Media and the SuperHub is gigabit enabled so I've ordered an 8 port gigabit switch which will give me 11 effective ports (1 reserved for uplink) - is that correct?

I have also decided to go with CAT6 cable, and ordered CAT6 specific keystones and patch cables so hopefully it is as "future proof" as these things can be. All told I've spent £70 to wire the whole house which is really good.

Lifiting floorboards is not something I'd like to do regularly, especially not in a victorian house where they are almost an inch thick

Thanks for the advice folks.
Old 08-03-2012, 20:52   #9
DJBenson
Android Defector

Right folks I need your help, all my supplies have arrived today but things aren't going to plan.

Firstly, my CAT6 cable is not twisted and has different colours to what the wiring diagrams say, mine has;

Light/Dark Green
Light/Dark Blue
Light/Dark Brown
Red/White

Now am I right in saying as long as I match my pairs to those of the keystone jacks everything should be OK?

Next, I've wired up a pair of jacks as follows;
Light/Dark Green (as on the jack)
Light/Dark Brown (as on the jack)
Light/Dark Blue (as on the jack)
Red/White (instead of light/dark orange)

I am right in assuming you wire the same order at both ends?

When I attach my network tester to it - lines 5 and 8 never light up (and I've removed the jacks, wired new ones etc. a couple of times) and the "G" (ground) light never lights too.

Did you guys use a network tester?
Old 08-03-2012, 21:01   #10
ffc
On the sofa

The "correct" colours for each pin are here. Just choose 568a or 568b and stick with it. You don't need a tester if you have a PC and a switch.
Old 08-03-2012, 22:04   #11
DJBenson
Android Defector

Well I've got one pair up and running, the second is being a bitch. Pins 7 and 8 just won't connect using the tester. When I connect a laptop to it, it connects at 100meg instead of 1gig. The other cable connects at 1gig.

This is going to take me forever - I've got one of 8 runs done and it's taken me bloody 4 hours
Old 08-03-2012, 22:43   #12
DJBenson
Android Defector

I've given that one up as a bad job and just marked the port up as 100meg. I've got a Fritz!Box router that is only 100meg so that can live in that port.

I'm not sure if the cable was damaged because I took both keystones off twice, replaced them and still pair 7/8 didn't work.

I'm going to run 1 extra cable to the other rooms just in case this happens again, I can cable up all three and if 2/3 work then jobs a good 'un and I'll pull the other cable back through.

What a ball-ache. Whether it's the done thing or not, I'd have been better running long patch cables to each room rather than putting sockets on all of them

Last edited by DJBenson; 08-03-2012 at 22:45.
Old 09-03-2012, 21:19   #13
DJBenson
Android Defector

Right I've sussed this out now - firstly, the cable I'd bought was stranded and no solid core so that was causing half the problems. Secondly, the keystones I got were crap. I picked up some toolless ones from CPC today and within half an hour I'd run 2 gigabit connections to one of the rooms

Is 45meg/second a good speed for gigabit between a laptop and a HP Microserver?

1 down, 3 to go.
Old 09-03-2012, 21:51   #14
emeyedeejay
Trusted User

Can you re-run the one that was only connecting at 100meg?

If so just bite the bullet and do it - you'll regret it later if you don't ....

Cabling is a pain in the ass - until it;s done and done well then you won't regret it!
Old 09-03-2012, 22:01   #15
zulm
Trusted User

Quote:

If it's the same laptop I think it is then I get around 65mb/s on the gigabit between desktop, work laptop and hp4530s (win7, not checked speeds in osx)
zulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 00:43   #16
DJBenson
Android Defector

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeyedeejay View Post
Can you re-run the one that was only connecting at 100meg?

If so just bite the bullet and do it - you'll regret it later if you don't ....

Cabling is a pain in the ass - until it;s done and done well then you won't regret it!
I pulled two new runs of solid core CAT6 cable through using the two I ran yesterday so both are now running at high speed (45-50mb/sec).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulm View Post
If it's the same laptop I think it is then I get around 65mb/s on the gigabit between desktop, work laptop and hp4530s (win7, not checked speeds in osx)
My HP Microserver is running a laptop HDD so that might restrict speeds somewhat. I'm happy with 40meg as I was only getting 11 previously.
Old 13-03-2012, 23:56   #17
wseed
Trusted User

Quote:
Right I've sussed this out now - firstly, the cable I'd bought was stranded and no solid core so that was causing half the problems. Secondly, the keystones I got were crap. I picked up some toolless ones from CPC today and within half an hour I'd run 2 gigabit connections to one of the rooms
so I just wasted my time writing the comprehensive guide you ignored. Stranded network cable isn't suitable for use in floor spaces or with punch down blocks (the keystones where probably fine.) replace any runs you have with patch leads at they'll get worse over time as the materials become brittle.

Quote:

1 down, 3 to go.
I get about 70mb/second to a microserver but I do have plenty of cache and the drives setup as an array so 45 isn't too shabby will meet most streaming requirements admirably.
Old 14-03-2012, 08:37   #18
DJBenson
Android Defector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wseed
so I just wasted my time writing the comprehensive guide you ignored. Stranded network cable isn't suitable for use in floor spaces or with punch down blocks (the keystones where probably fine.) replace any runs you have with patch leads at they'll get worse over time as the materials become brittle.

I get about 70mb/second to a microserver but I do have plenty of cache and the drives setup as an array so 45 isn't too shabby will meet most streaming requirements admirably.
Hang on a minute, I didn't ignore anything, the cable I bought didn't say either way so it was a genuine mistake. I appreciate you taking the time to post.

I pulled through solid core using the existing braided cable so there is nothing to be replaced

The speeds are likely to be lower because I am running the server off a single laptop hard disk at the moment. I have two WD drives waiting to go in but I need two more to put in RAID5 but as you know prices are expensive at the moment.

All sorted now
Old 14-03-2012, 20:23   #19
wseed
Trusted User

Ok fair enough. Glad it's sorted now.