Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 18-08-2015, 15:55   #141
fothy123
Trusted User

Rangers looking to get Gedion Zelalem from Arsenal in on loan and John Swift from Chelsea has also been mentioned as possibly coming.

Celtic looking for another central defender with Ł4m Jozo Simunovic mentioned although Jason Denayer also could return since Man City on verge of signing Ł30m defender.
Old 19-08-2015, 20:59   #142
fothy123
Trusted User

Can't see many teams wanting to let their young creative players come up here to play for us as Oduwa and McKay got lumps kicked out them all night against Ayr with virtually nothing done. McKay looking better with every game so it says a lot about our previous management that he has been shunted out on loan for the last few years when we have been crying out for a creative wide player.

Looks like Celtic went from minutes away from a great result to a more risky lead to take to Sweden. I reckon they will get a draw over there at worst but it will be squeeky bums time.
Old 20-08-2015, 09:00   #143
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Absolutely gutted when the 95th min goal went in , i think that will be the difference , I can't see Celtic keeping a clean sheet over there. Hope I'm wrong.

Rangers looks as though they could have a record goal scoring season, way above anything in that league. I'm really interested to see how they perform against a middle table or higher SPL team.
Old 20-08-2015, 09:10   #144
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Celtic played really well first half and if Johansen had put away the chance at 2-0 instead of passing straight to the Malmo keeper then I feel we would have coasted it and killed the tie.

But still home win and goal advantage. Malmo seemed a lot weaker defensively then Qarabag, I feel we’ll score at least once in the 2nd leg, score draw would suit me fine.

Thought Forrest had his best game in a Celtic jersey for a while, Griffiths was good too and Van Dijk was immense, we’re really going to miss him when he leaves and I hope the board are pulling out the stops to get a similar quality defender in to replace him.

Looks like Lustig is out injured, Ambrose didn't really cover himself in glory when he came so I'm hoping Janko is playing at the weekend with a mind for him to start next week as I think Malmo will target Ambrose in the 2nd leg if he plays (which they did last night).

To be honest I would play squad and reserve players at the weekend, at this stage, getting through to group stages of CL is far more important than getting a result in the league and I wouldn't too bothered if we dropped points after fielding a reserve side.
Old 20-08-2015, 13:40   #145
fothy123
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
Absolutely gutted when the 95th min goal went in , i think that will be the difference , I can't see Celtic keeping a clean sheet over there. Hope I'm wrong.

Rangers looks as though they could have a record goal scoring season, way above anything in that league. I'm really interested to see how they perform against a middle table or higher SPL team.
Not sure who is highest scoring, I suspect it might be Hearts from last year as they got the new records points total of 91, beating the 89 set by Hibs in 1999. Hearts managed 96 goals last season so it should be about that sort of figure we would need. I'm pretty sure they managed a 10-0 last season so it's a big target to hit.

The league cup and Scottish cup should be interesting this year if we are drawn against SPL opposition.
Old 23-08-2015, 14:19   #146
fothy123
Trusted User

Great win for us today, very below par performance and Hibs missed a couple of sitters but we had double the shots of Hibs and they only had 1 on target. James Tavernier is a stick on for player of the year and he scored a fantastic free kick today which was even better than the one he scored against them at the start of the season. Warburton now the first Rangers boss since Struth to win his first 6 games in charge. He has also pulled off what could be a cracking signing in young Arsenal midfielder Gideon Zelalem, his contacts and style of play from his time at Brentford obviously working well.

St Mirren struggling so far after a few games and Hibs sitting 6th although I'd expect them to pick up from here and move into the top 3 once they get going. QOTS and Falkirk doing well and will be good competition with them in the play off spots.

Hearts doing well so far, I think it will be interesting to see them up against Aberdeen and Celtic. Neilson and Levein doing wonders over in Gorgie. Celtic's 2nd string team very comfortable against Dundee Utd, who look to be a club in freefall. Griffiths really coming into form this season and once Cifti gets his suspension done, it will be interesting to see how the 2 of them link up.

Very NSFW so not embedded it but a Killie fan getting a wee bit upset about his teams performance against Ross County. Who'd have thought that signing 3 players from such an underperforming Rangers team might not have been a great idea, Killie for the drop this year.
https://youtu.be/TnuROrHdDOk

Last edited by fothy123; 23-08-2015 at 14:22.
Old 24-08-2015, 09:54   #147
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fothy123 View Post
Warburton now the first Rangers boss since Struth to win his first 6 games in charge.
https://youtu.be/TnuROrHdDOk
Can't remember TheRangers having a manager called Struth?
Old 24-08-2015, 13:52   #148
fothy123
Trusted User

This is getting really boring now, I don't know any Rangers fan that gets upset with being called The Rangers, Sevco or whatever else. Football clubs has companies behind them which control the finances, your own club has had 2 others in recent years.

If folk aren't wanting to chat about Scottish football then I think we can just close this off thread and save wasting time here and I'll stick to football forums however I do enjoy talking with fans of other clubs hence the reason I'm one of the very few has kept posting on a regular basis. There was previously jambos, hibs fans and sheep on here in previous years and it was a decent bunch with some good banter.

Call us what you want, it doesn't bother me but at least add a bit into the discussion as there was plenty else you could have picked up to comment on too. If nothing else then there was the Killie fans decent into grief/anger/madness. You've got a massive game this week with Malmo, any hopes or expectations for that?
Old 24-08-2015, 16:16   #149
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohail View Post
To be honest I would play squad and reserve players at the weekend, at this stage, getting through to group stages of CL is far more important than getting a result in the league and I wouldn't too bothered if we dropped points after fielding a reserve side.
Looks like Ronnie was reading my mind! Should have put a wee bet on it, would have cleaned up. Good performance by the reserves and certainly could have scored more goals, Scott Allan came on for his debut and looked good, lots of direct runs and neat passes.

Lustig is 50/50 for the Malmo game, I'm pretty confident we'll score over there and get the result required to get to the CL group stage, Malmo for some bizarre reason seem to have started "mouthing" off about Celtic, their players calling our players "Pigs and Children", the coach saying the Celtic team are not fit enough.

Well we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Hearts still going great guns in the SPFL, they have a tough game against Hamilton next week.
Old 24-08-2015, 16:40   #150
fothy123
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohail View Post
Looks like Ronnie was reading my mind! Should have put a wee bet on it, would have cleaned up. Good performance by the reserves and certainly could have scored more goals, Scott Allan came on for his debut and looked good, lots of direct runs and neat passes.

Lustig is 50/50 for the Malmo game, I'm pretty confident we'll score over there and get the result required to get to the CL group stage, Malmo for some bizarre reason seem to have started "mouthing" off about Celtic, their players calling our players "Pigs and Children", the coach saying the Celtic team are not fit enough.

Well we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Hearts still going great guns in the SPFL, they have a tough game against Hamilton next week.
Made perfect sense to play a second string as Malmo will probably be your most important game of the whole season. It's also good as it gives guys on the fringes a chance to try and stake a claim for a place as I'd expect them to be a match for the first team of every one else with maybe the exception of Aberdeen/Hearts. The battle for 2nd spot between those two will very good as they will push each other on. I think Hearts have the better first 11 but Aberdeen probably has the better squad so it could come down to injuries.

Malmo mouthing off seems crazy, it's just going to give motivation to Celtic. I can see why they might have wanted to make a mention after the game but it seemed to drag on for days and it looks like they have lost focus and ended up losing a league game. After the first leg, I thought they would be slight favourites but I think Celtic will do the business over there and get an early goal and cause them to implode.
Old 25-08-2015, 22:25   #151
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Well that was poor.

Team didn't turn up, Malmo played decent and are through to the CL group stage, all credit to them.

Looks like the Europa League is the level for this current team, understandable to be honest if we're shopping in the SPFL and EPL reserve teams market.

Looking like we'll be in pot 2 for the group stages of EL.
Old 26-08-2015, 08:55   #152
fothy123
Trusted User

I can only assume the chopped off goal was for a perceived foul by Griffiths on the keeper but didn't look like there was to much in it. I'd understand it more if the keeper went down as the Griffiths elbow was up but I don't think it would have made an awful lot of difference in the end as Malmo looked pretty comfortable and too many Celtic players seemed to be caught in the headlights and didn't perform.

Griffiths is a complete idiot thought and he should have been sent off for kneeing that guy and Sutton is a joke for even trying to defend and justify it. Craig Gordon was fantastic though, his shot stopping was incredible and he's easily the best Celtic keeper I've seen for many years.

Aside from the money of the CL which is a massive loss, the Europa League is potentially better for you as it gives you the same co-efficient points for wins/draws and the games should be a little easier and help with the group stage pots if you get through the qualifiers next year. I'd think that the board will demand that the team goes on a bit of a run and gets through the Europa League group and a round or two after.

Bertie is suggesting pot 2 for you, so should make getting out the groups slightly easier.
http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/...eedel2015.html

We need a big shakeup in our game as we are one of a few nations with just a single team left in either the CL/EL. Given that our national team is doing well, there needs to be questions asked as to why that isn't filtering down to our club teams. There needs to be a proper clear out of the people in charge of the SPFL and a restructuring of the leagues with 2 bigger leagues and regional below that. Summer football would also help us as we often come up against teams much further through their season in the early rounds in europe.

Last edited by fothy123; 26-08-2015 at 08:56.
Old 26-08-2015, 09:12   #153
ascender
Trusted User

That was pretty poor but not really surprising was it? On their showing against Malmo over the two legs, the team don't look like they've really progressed at all under Deila.

I've said for ages that two larger leagues is the way to go but I don't know why those in charge seem obsessed with coming up with new, complicated multi-tiered league systems instead of just keeping it nice and simple.

Signing Gordon was a masterstroke and I'm surprised Rangers let him through their hands given how long he'd been training there, but i guess it shouldn't really be a surprise with how McCoist was running things.
Old 26-08-2015, 09:23   #154
fothy123
Trusted User

I think I've mentioned http://therangersreport.com/ already on here but I found a link to a Celtic fan doing similar for them and also for all the Scottish leagues
http://fitbafancystats.blogspot.co.u...celtic-fc.html

Interesting in a nerdy way
Old 26-08-2015, 12:21   #155
thatzit
I think I got it

Once ahead Malmo closed the game down.

Celtic had two chances at home to close the game down at 2-0 and 3-1.

They didnt do it and paid the price.

If you are suspect from set plays then it will be difficult to win games at any European level.
Old 26-08-2015, 13:10   #156
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Craig Gordon was fantastic at shot stopping but needs to command his box more at set pieces . Especially when it is whipped into 6 yard area.

Lot of Sunday football again now ...the joy.
Old 27-08-2015, 19:31   #157
fothy123
Trusted User

Scottish League Cup third round draw:
Kilmarnock v Hearts
Livingston v Inverness CT
Ross County v Falkirk
Rangers v St Johnstone
Celtic v Raith Rovers
Morton v Motherwell
Dundee United v Dunfermline Athletic
Hibernian v Aberdeen
The ties are scheduled for 22/23 September.
Fancy Hearts, ICT, Ross County, Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell, Dunfermline (round shock) and Aberdeen to progress.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:55   #158
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Interlull done, back to proper football, Aberdeen v Celtic this weekend, should be a cracker!
Old 09-09-2015, 13:48   #159
fothy123
Trusted User

Another disappointment from the national team. Strachan has looked like a good manager during this campaign but he seems to have undone a lot of that over the last 2 games.

Unfortunately he seems to have slipped into the problem where members of the squad are undropable no matter how bad they are. Been a bit spoiled watching us this year as it was quite horrific watching Scotland struggle to string passes together and punt the ball up the park. One of the things we have been doing is passing the ball from the keeper to central defenders and building from the back as opposed to punting the ball up to the forward who more often than not loses the ball.

I can't see anything less that a 3/4 goal win for Celtic against Aberdeen who seem to always self destruct against you.

Rangers play Livingston and will be hoping to net another 5+ goals in this campaign. Barrie MacKay has been fantastic this year for us and he was almost chased out the door by McCoist. Oduwa and Zelalem have been excelllent and wouldn't have been here if Warburton and his style and methods weren't rated so highly by Arsenal and Spurs.
Old 09-09-2015, 16:04   #160
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fothy123 View Post

I can't see anything less that a 3/4 goal win for Celtic against Aberdeen who seem to always self destruct against you.
Not going to happen. Celtic will do well to get a draw. Reasons:-

1. Celtic will have a back four that has never played before.
2. Brown is off form , I'm sure he is carrying an injury and is the most important player for games like this imo
3. Aberdeen are flying.
Closed Thread