Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 21-07-2002, 10:22   #1
Guest 4434
Professional Layabout

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Watched this the other day and thought it was absolutely fabulous, a genuinely hilarious classic comedy, I cannot understand why this has such a low rating on IMDB and doesnt seem to come more recommended. I've seen a number of supposed comedies recently where I didnt laugh out loud once and could only manage a wry smile every now and again but all the way through Dirty Rotten Scoundrels I was on the edge of my seat - Martin and Caine played off one another brilliantly.

The only reason I bought this film was it was a childhood favourite of mine, I didnt remember much about it all - I'd even forgot about the twist(s) at the end it was so long since I last saw it, over 10 years.

The Special Edition R1 complete with commentary is only £10.99 at Future Entertainment - I'd recommend this to anyone. The other great thing about this comedy is it is children-safe, I mean would show the likes of American Pie and Scary Movie to a 10 year old ?
Guest 4434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2002, 10:35   #2
Guest 8607
La résistance est futile

Steve Martin: "She caught me with another woman. You're French! You understand!"

Anton Rodgers: "To be with another woman, that is French. To be caught, that is American"

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is one of the best comedies of the last 20 years and I've probably seen it more times than any other. I remember seeing it in 1989 and laughing so hard at the Prince Ruprecht stuff that I was in pain. Perfect cast too. Did you recognise the Emperor out of the Star Wars films as Michael Caine's butler?

PS: The IMDB ratings are probably the third worst indicator in the world of how good a film is, after the opinions of Paul Ross and Harry Knowles.

Last edited by Ol' Blue Eyes; 21-07-2002 at 10:36.
Guest 8607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2002, 10:57   #3
Guest 4434
Professional Layabout

I'd have to disgree with you on the IMDB point, I wouldn't so readily discredit it like that - obviously im not to say its the be all and end all of how good a film is but it does seem to be a good general indicator. The only thing you have to be careful of is taking too much notice of a recent release film - things like Minority Report and Lord Of The Rings have both undeservedly high ratings, for instance but give it a year or two they'll slip down the rankings. But anyways, this isnt a debate on IMDB. Im glad someone else appreciates this film as much as me, definately one of the 5 funniest films ive ever seen.

'Before we begin can I go to the bathroom?'
Old 21-07-2002, 11:32   #4
Joe Pasquale
Like, whatever

Aw cmon, you only have to read a few 'reviews' on IMDB to see the moronic element. Painfully average films, where the 'reviewer' admits as much, saying 'its okay' get 9/10 at the end of this epic review!! C'mon people, average is 4/5 out of 10. Also, way too many that'd vote 1's and 10's, Mr Speed Sun Compo stylee.

For the record Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is in my top 10 of all time, a definite childhood favourite. Have the original UK Quad poster too.
Joe Pasquale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2002, 12:21   #5
Guest 19625
Banned

Loved this film

Hadn't seen it for years and watching the DVD again a few weeks back was a joy. The ending seems tacked on but Michael Caine is so brilliant it's forgivable.

A poacher who shoots at rabbits may scare big game away.

I got mine for £7.49 in the sales -fargin bargain
Guest 19625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2002, 13:18   #6
Guest 4434
Professional Layabout

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Pasquale
Aw cmon, you only have to read a few 'reviews' on IMDB to see the moronic element. Painfully average films, where the 'reviewer' admits as much, saying 'its okay' get 9/10 at the end of this epic review!! C'mon people, average is 4/5 out of 10. Also, way too many that'd vote 1's and 10's, Mr Speed Sun Compo stylee.
Heh, the user comments are always useless, yes, you get a lot of illiterate yanks giving the likes of Predator 10/10 claiming its the best film of all time etc then the very next comment is another illiterate yank claiming its the very worst film of all time. The weighted average is usually a pretty good indicator, not the user comments
Old 27-07-2002, 05:48   #7
Guest 20279
Trusted User

DRS is a classic. It's one of the very few comedies that is perfectly paced. And more importantly, it's actually very funny and wears well after repeated viewings.

I would rate it as children-safe. There's nothing in it as far as I remember that couldn't be watched by any "young person"
Guest 20279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2002, 13:50   #8

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is the best Steve Martin film - second only to The Jerk

As for IMDB, I am a literate Yank, who enjoys reading what the illiterate Yanks think, and then I do the opposite of what they suggest.
Old 28-07-2002, 21:22   #9
Guest 1626
A Man With A Mission

I love this film also - I watched it recently and adored every minute. This with three other Martin classics - Trains, Planes and Automobiles; Roxanne; and The Man With two Brains are four of my favourite comedies of all time.
Guest 1626 is offline   Reply With Quote