Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 19-12-2017, 10:36   #241
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Belly View Post
You'll have to direct me to the bit in Empire where a badly rendered CGI hamster smacks against a windscreen.
I can't do that but I can direct you to a badly rendered hateful idiot CGI character stepping in **** in The Phantom Menace.

I can also direct you to a very badly rendered CGI character singing directly down the camera in Jabba's palace.

Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 11:03   #242
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post

Not really the same issue.

ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 11:10   #243
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

After seeing it; I don't hate it but it does not rank up there with the best of the previous installments.

Laura Dern's character actions should have been done by Carrie Fisher

Benicio del Toro was wasted in this as he was in Guardians of the Galaxy; he has too much screen presence for cameos.

To long at 2hrs 33min 30-45 minutes could be shaved off.

Did not feel very Star Wars for me, and all the plot thread tie-ups and poor treatment of new characters is probably down to not having the same writers working on all three films. Although I am no fan of JJ Abrams' mystery box way of telling a story.

Some great set pieces and character moments reminiscent of the quality of Empire but also some of dross from Jedi and Phantom Menace.

Humor was out of place, you want that kind of humor make Guardians Of The Galaxy.

Porgs = Toys = More $ simple as that

Shields do seem different than in previous movies; which did not appear to surround the ship in a bubble like they do here perhaps as it was not an effect they could have done at the time of the originals.

Still don't see why they had to chase them, the First Order must have more ships that could have jumped-in in front or below or from above they have 3 dimensions to work in.

Overall I felt it was a Dunsel entry in the Star Wars franchise so far.

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return Of The Jedi (Original Version)
4. Revenge Of The Sith
5. Rogue One
6. Force Awakens
7. Attack Of The Clones
8. Last Jedi
9. Return Of The Jedi (Special Edition)
10. Phantom Menace
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 11:16   #244
Dno
StolenBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
Now I'm not going to lie and say I was convinced by the jokes in The Last Jedi but people acting like humour in Star Wars is a new thing is really getting on my tits.
Humour can have a part to play in almost any film, but it needs to be in keeping with the tone at the time:

So Rey has finally found Luke who's hidden himself away for all those years for reasons not yet known to us. We later find
so has good reason to be doing what he's doing. He's then presented with his lightsabre that should have been a key moment due to what it represents with all it's history to him, and you would've thought would've triggered quite the reaction. But no. *Whoop*, over the shoulder it goes, and the audience laughs.

Last edited by Dno; 19-12-2017 at 11:18.
Dno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 11:18   #245
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dno View Post
But no. *Whoop*, over the should it goes, and the audience laughs.
And that was a great moment.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 11:20   #246
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourmatetone View Post
Episodes I-VI had a clear narrative streak to them. Introducing a whole new, seemingly-unrelated villain in Episode VII has pretty much ruined that. It’s made it more soap-like in structure, because there is no longer a single thread running through the saga.
(I am not spoiling anything to anyone by using this quote)

I think the First Order was meant to be a third 'strike back' for the Dark Forces (the first two being ROTS and ESB in chronological order) after the rebel forces apparent victory in one arena. From that standpoint TLJ just about manages to keep the story arc going in the right direction but where it failed was that
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 11:31   #247
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Humour can have a part to play in almost any film, but it needs to be in keeping with the tone at the time
I don't disagree at all. My issues with The Last Jedi pretty much all stem from the humour, particularly the bit you highlight. Some of it I didn't mind but at this point in time I wish it had been toned down. I may feel different after I see it again. However, I have seen so many people claiming that The Last Jedi is the only Star Wars film that has silly jokes in it. A friend of mine even claimed that it is Disney's influence that put it in. The point I'm making is this is utter nonsense and I have posted links above to prove my point. The humour in The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones is utterly dreadful and not remotely funny. And all of the added bits in the Special Editions are even more dreadful. Roger Belly above says that George Lucas would cringe at the humour in The Last Jedi but Lucas is responsible for everything in the prequels and the awful additions to the original trilogy. Apologies if I'm not explaining my point very well.

Last edited by Hood; 19-12-2017 at 11:34.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 11:58   #248
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

I've yet to see a negative comment that you couldn't also say about the original films.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 12:16   #249
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,214 Times in 859 Posts
It wasn't as good as the original films, it's like a lot of things, you either liked it , you didn't or it was somewhere in between. The idea they could have knocked ten minutes off, explained something better or changed a few bits wouldn't have made much difference.

Take a look in the BvsS thread, either you liked it (few of us) or didn't (most people), the idea that we should argue until any given film is agreed by all to be a masterpiece or dreadful is a waste of time.

As to the humour, there were definitely funny bits in it, I really thought the opening bit was funny. It just didn't fit with the tone of the film, the prequels did the same thing to a lesser extent. "Listen lads, can we stick a few laughs in it."
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 12:24   #250
Taq
Evil Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
I've yet to see a negative comment that you couldn't also say about the original films.
Absolutely. It's the difference between growing up with a film for decades and a new experience.
I'm never going to react as an adult in the same way I did as a child, full of wonder as my heroes have adventures I could only dream of. It's that connection that feeds the nostalgia and allows us to forgive a film almost anything.
Thanked once by:
bronso (02-01-2018)
Old 19-12-2017, 13:08   #251
Slender
Trusted User

I saw the movie last night with my brother. We both grew up with the original trilogy and loved both The Force Awakens and Rogue One. We were both disappointed with this movie. My main criticism is that it pretty much threw away everything that was built up in TFA and didn't bother to set up anything interesting. The action scenes were great but the story and characters felt off. It also didn't feel epic enough: it seemed like a relatively small conflict instead of something that was spanning galaxies.
Slender is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Raigmore (19-12-2017)
Old 19-12-2017, 14:57   #252
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slender View Post
I saw the movie last night with my brother. We both grew up with the original trilogy and loved both The Force Awakens and Rogue One. We were both disappointed with this movie. My main criticism is that it pretty much threw away everything that was built up in TFA and didn't bother to set up anything interesting. The action scenes were great but the story and characters felt off. It also didn't feel epic enough: it seemed like a relatively small conflict instead of something that was spanning galaxies.
I think that pretty much sums up the way I now feel about the film. I was a young man when the original trilogy came out and liked all three of them. I did not particularly like any of the prequel trilogy but took comfort in the fact that the events took place chronologically before the original trilogy and so we could look ahead. From that sense both TFA and RO did justice to the saga and raised the ante a bit after the disappointment of the prequels. I think that is one of the reasons why folk who grew-up with the saga feel disappointed with TLJ; it is a notch better than the prequels but significantly below par compared with the originals, TFA or RO.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 19:59   #253
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

It's a series of films not a bloody jigsaw!

Whoever said all of the pieces had to fit together perfectly?

As for all the whining about hyperspace and the way weapons are used - how come nobody whines about the use of fighters and bombers, a technology that's more or less obsolete in this world! Surely laser canons "project" by definition at the speed of light, so wouldn't they just shoot at each other from thousands of kilometers away? Not wait until they could see the whites (or even reds) of their enemies' eyes?

The point is, none of that matters, it was a fun film set in a familiar universe that continued the previous episode in an upredictable way and hopefully set up an equally unpredictable sequel.]

Last edited by AndyWilson; 19-12-2017 at 20:01.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
DeadYankee (27-12-2017), Mr Majestik (20-12-2017)
Old 19-12-2017, 20:15   #254
Soprano
Walking the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
Absolutely. It's the difference between growing up with a film for decades and a new experience.
I'm never going to react as an adult in the same way I did as a child, full of wonder as my heroes have adventures I could only dream of. It's that connection that feeds the nostalgia and allows us to forgive a film almost anything.
That's valid if you are talking about the original trilogy but less so when you compare this to The Force Awakens or Rogue One which doesn't have that nostalgic rosč tinted glasses excuse.

The overall feeling I'm reading is this film is a disappointment and badly made more than anything.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
Old 20-12-2017, 08:16   #255
Tob
Trusted User

Quote:
But no. *Whoop*, over the shoulder it goes, and the audience laughs.
Agree, it felt like a Saturday Night Live skit in places.
Tob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 08:39   #256
CRB
Trusted User

Am I missing something - when Laura Dern hyperspaces through the big ship.... where did she end up ? Did it explode in impact ? (No), it wasn't there afterwards, so where is she ??
CRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 10:35   #257
Taq
Evil Scientist

floating around space in millions of small bits
Thanked 3 times by:
bronso (02-01-2018), CLH (20-12-2017), nutter45 (24-12-2017)
Old 20-12-2017, 15:40   #258
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Maybe people would have preferred it if Rey was Luke's ******* Daughter (Rey Snow?) and Luke had taught her to raise his ship from it's shallow salty grave using the power of the force, then they'd flown off to meet Leia and Chewy and all Falconed their way to a Lightsaber showdown with Snokes and Ren?

Last edited by AndyWilson; 20-12-2017 at 15:41.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 15:51   #259
sharp_circle
Fantasist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
Maybe people would have preferred it if Rey was Luke's ******* Daughter (Rey Snow?) and Luke had taught her to raise his ship from it's shallow salty grave using the power of the force, then they'd flown off to meet Leia and Chewy and all Falconed their way to a Lightsaber showdown with Snokes and Ren?
Maybe people are allowed to have differing opinions about a film without people getting overly sensitive when it doesn't match their own.
Thanked 3 times by:
Dno (20-12-2017), jockosjungle (20-12-2017), Soprano (20-12-2017)
Old 20-12-2017, 17:45   #260
Marts62
Boo!

Don't worry everyone, George will correct all the flaws in the dvd release.
Marts62 is offline   Reply With Quote