Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Old 28-08-2018, 15:53   #4041
Rob
Indie Author

There was a discussion on F365 the other day where Laurent Blanc was suggested as a possible manager. An ex-United player with experience of coaching big clubs, plus, by all accounts, he likes to play flowing and attacking football. The icing on the cake is that he's available, so he seems like the ideal man for the job.
Old 28-08-2018, 15:59   #4042
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
I know what you are saying, but SAF left us five years ago & we should have built up or bought a couple of top strikers by now. The problem with the first half was we didn't score, not for the first time, so we won't "be OK" unless we start scoring not only easy chances, (as we had last night) but also harder ones. I just don't see it with many of our present players.
I've said it before, the devastating thing for the club was the double whammy of Fergie and Gill stepping down at the same time.

Woodward is fine at the commercial side of things, but he's awful when it comes to the business on the pitch.

We'd still be ****** if we had Klopp, Guardiola or Pochettino at the moment. Sure, we'd be better to watch, but with Jones etc. in the squad, we'd still lose plenty.
Old 28-08-2018, 16:01   #4043
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
There was a discussion on F365 the other day where Laurent Blanc was suggested as a possible manager. An ex-United player with experience of coaching big clubs, plus, by all accounts, he likes to play flowing and attacking football. The icing on the cake is that he's available, so he seems like the ideal man for the job.
I said that before Mourinho came in, and last season
Old 28-08-2018, 17:24   #4044
Rob
Indie Author

You'd have thought that those in control at United would have thought of him? Maybe he doesn't want the job.
Old 28-08-2018, 17:48   #4045
MaxNutter

He was happy at PSG when Fergie stepped down, maybe Ed thought he wasn't 'high profile' enough after LVG?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 28-08-2018, 17:50   #4046
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

Let's see where we are after the derby on remembrance Sunday, if we're still mid table (...or worse) then Maureen has to go. If he's still available then, Blanc would be a decent call.
Old 28-08-2018, 18:23   #4047
aliman5000
Clown X

The Manchester Utd Thread

The manager needs to be backed, both by the board and by the fans. A new man won’t change anything short or long term if they are handled the same way that the club appear to have with Jose. As it stands we are stuck with the squad (and in particular defence) until at least January and so the most sensible thing is give the manager the time to make the best of what he has.

If we are able to improve the defence then the tactics Jose is trying to implement will improve and we will get what we want. Possibly also adding a top tier RW to give us strength in attack all over the pitch.

Whatever the reasons we didn’t invest in defence this summer need to be resolved, that is the priority. Give the manager the tools to do the job, the teams in the top four already have backed the manager and are seeing results.

Yes we will probably have to put up with a season of mediocrity - but so did City with Pep, so have Liverpool with Klopp etc etc.

We should have got Jose in after Fergie by we didn’t. This means he has come in to right the ship, plug the holes and THEN get us improved. To pull the funds just as we get started on improving is ridiculous and Woodward and the board need to be held to account.

Jose has achieved more then both managers since Fergie combined at Utd and that with a broken squad.
Old 28-08-2018, 18:43   #4048
MICON
Trusted User

We have had 5 years of mediocrity, this is Mouriniho's third year, & I will repeat, what is the point of improving the defence if we don't score goals??????????

Quote:
Jose has achieved more then both managers since Fergie combined at Utd and that with a broken squad
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 18:51   #4049
aliman5000
Clown X

Quote:
We have had 5 years of mediocrity, this is Mouriniho's third year, & I will repeat, what is the point of improving the defence if we don't score goals??????????

Because if you are having to pad the defence with defensive midfielders to cover their arse, you are weakening your attack.

And I’m not sure what is funny, two trophies from Jose, one between Moyes and Van Gaal.
Old 28-08-2018, 18:57   #4050
MaxNutter

Quote:

Mediocrity = not winning the league?

Old 28-08-2018, 19:19   #4051
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliman5000 View Post
Because if you are having to pad the defence with defensive midfielders to cover their arse, you are weakening your attack.

And I’m not sure what is funny, two trophies from Jose, one between Moyes and Van Gaal.
I understand, but like some ex footballers have said, our midfield seem to just stand around when they lose the ball, they just moan while the other team are running towards our goal with the ball. They don't chase back, & they don't get forward fast enough. Monday was an example of no one near their goal to pass the ball to a few times. Again like some ex footballers have said, if it was another team they would be made to chase, chase, chase.
I don't know if Jose has tried to instil this in them or not, but they seem to be lazy. Perhaps some are not playing for him. The reason for the laughs is based not only on my feelings, but also many MU fans on the radio have felt we are no better under Jose than the previous two managers. I will say this though, I have always liked Jose, yes, he is arrogant, but I tried to watch his teams in Italy & Spain (in spite of what my Spanish friend said).
Old 28-08-2018, 23:07   #4052
MaxNutter

Common sense, especially as there's no chance of any change in playing staff until January: http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...ged-to-improve

Old 29-08-2018, 05:43   #4053
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
Common sense, especially as there's no chance of any change in playing staff until January: http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...ged-to-improve

They've challenged him to return to the "siege mentality"! They do understand the meaning of the phrase don't they? I thought that was Mourinho's game plan anyway and is why everybody is up in arms about the state of the castle, errr I mean, the club.
Old 29-08-2018, 08:00   #4054
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,214 Times in 859 Posts
Not really sure he'll get sacked just yet, generally this sort of "mood" lasts a couple of months, he'll be challenging the club to sack him within a fortnight.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 08:46   #4055
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
They've challenged him to return to the "siege mentality"! They do understand the meaning of the phrase don't they? I thought that was Mourinho's game plan anyway and is why everybody is up in arms about the state of the castle, errr I mean, the club.
Fergie was the king of the 'siege mentality'. I don't think anyone is complaining about that tactic off the pitch, as long as we don't play like that (i.e. "parking the bus").
Old 30-08-2018, 21:50   #4056
madstu
Trusted User

Interesting draw. Will be challenging, which is what we need - potentially great games against Juventus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2018, 11:14   #4057
MICON
Trusted User

Hmmm, the match is not on Sky or BT. How are you all watching it? I have an Android box, is there a good App that will have the match on?
Old 02-09-2018, 12:51   #4058
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
Hmmm, the match is not on Sky or BT. How are you all watching it? I have an Android box, is there a good App that will have the match on?

Too much effort to watch it to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2018, 13:44   #4059
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,214 Times in 859 Posts
Quote:
Probably just annoy you.

Glad to see the return of the plane flying a banner before the match!
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 15:09   #4060
MICON
Trusted User

9 minutes played & we haven't scored yet.