Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Old 19-08-2018, 16:58   #3941
MaxNutter

Cheers Pogba. Not nearly enough

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 19-08-2018, 16:59   #3942
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

Fellaini dived for that none penalty...made no difference in the end...awful, awful, awful!

If Maureen had ANY integrity he'd resign now!!!
Old 19-08-2018, 17:16   #3943
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,214 Times in 859 Posts
Pogba seemed fine in the World Cup.

Don't think he resigned from any job
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 17:18   #3944
MaxNutter

There's more going on here.

The playing style isn't right for United, but it's José's style and he had success with it. The board knew that. It's their fault not his.

The players are playing badly. Pogba, Lukaku, Lindelof all had good world cups, Mata, Rashford, De Gea are top class players, yet DDG aside, they aren't performing. Martial was good once.
Is it the style, the manager, the players?

The board didn't back José and he was right about the central defence and arguably about Martial.

If José goes, so should Woodward.

Old 19-08-2018, 17:26   #3945
HenryKrinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Pogba seemed fine in the World Cup.

Don't think he resigned from any job
...don't think he has any integrity...or any ***in' idea what he's doing at United...special one my ar5e, just sack him!
Old 19-08-2018, 17:47   #3946
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
Fellaini dived for that none penalty...made no difference in the end...awful, awful, awful!

If Maureen had ANY integrity he'd resign now!!!
I was thinking the same thing about the penalty - never a penalty in a million years yet the commentators seemed convinced.

Can't be long before the LVG ( and even Moyes ) v Mourinho record comparison gets dragged up ? Or does Sky only do that to Klopp?

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 19-08-2018 at 17:50.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 17:52   #3947
MaxNutter

Why would they compare Klopp to Moyes and LVG?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
I was thinking the same thing about the penalty - never a penalty in a million years yet the commentators seemed convinced.

Can't be long before the LVG ( and even Moyes ) v Mourinho record comparison gets dragged up ? Or does Sky only do that to Klopp?
Old 19-08-2018, 17:59   #3948
HenryKrinkle

Quote:

To be fair Brunty, I was surprised to beat you to it

...soft penalty though for sure!
Old 19-08-2018, 18:28   #3949
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
Why would they compare Klopp to Moyes and LVG?

AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 18:30   #3950
MaxNutter

Quote:
Moyes maybe, but LVG won something.

Old 19-08-2018, 22:24   #3951
jpig
Trusted User

It's the lack of progress that bugs me. What are we trying to build? Just seems like a disparate bunch of individuals, done of whom are busy already thinking about their next club.

It's not a team. And if Jose can't understand why it's not working then, for all his bleating about the rights and wrongs of our transfer policy, he should either do something new, Southgate style, or move aside.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 06:16   #3952
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Well the players are already having a pop at each other for not trying hard enough, it isn't looking promising.
Old 20-08-2018, 08:37   #3953
MaxNutter

In my mind, he's a dead man walking.

Woodward is clearly covering his arse by blaming Mourinho, they didn't back him in the summer and are talking about getting a director of football in and the players aren't performing for him for whatever reason.

You can blame Mourinho, but not for his style of play. Sure, it's not what the fans want, but it's the way his teams have always played. The board knew this when they hired him, it can't come as a surprise.
Old 20-08-2018, 09:23   #3954
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

It's like a lot of managers, Sam Allardyce being the case, he did a decent job at Everton and no doubt got himself some bonuses for where he finished in the league and not getting them relegated. But then football fans start demanding the results and the football.

It's sort of like the Moneyball of football, less likely to lose if you do X, more likely to win if you first don't concede, a lot easier to win 1-0, than it is to come back from a goal down to win 2-1.

Really not sure why he got that new contract, all I can imagine is that he would get less money if sacked, but don't see why he'd sign that.

His whole thing seems to be

1. Get big contract
2. Spend loads of money
3. Get short term success
4. Quickly wear out welcome
5. Get sacked and take pay off

He's done it everywhere except in Portugal, can't see that Man Utd would have expected anything else. Aside from a bit of success early on, he's pretty much done a classic Jose.

For him, I don't really see what jobs might become available he'd want, potentially something in Italy or maybe PSG. Aside from that I think he's burned his bridges in Spain and England.

I checked his odds for next management casualty, thinking it'd be worth a tenner, he's the lowest odds.
Old 20-08-2018, 09:41   #3955
MICON
Trusted User

I have said this before, but a Spanish friend of mine who is a big Real Madrid fan, said to me a few years back that the fans wanted Mouriniho out. Whatever one might say about his style of play, it would kill football if everyone adopted it. No one wants to watch a boring game, whatever sport it is. We all want to be entertained. If he can't entertain & win, then bring along someone who can. Zinedine Zidane has been touted, but he did take over a fairly successful RM, could he take over a club with low morale & turn it around? If he came to OT would it be only his second big club?
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 09:48   #3956
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
I have said this before, but a Spanish friend of mine who is a big Real Madrid fan, said to me a few years back that the fans wanted Mouriniho out. Whatever one might say about his style of play, it would kill football if everyone adopted it. No one wants to watch a boring game, whatever sport it is. We all want to be entertained. If he can't entertain & win, then bring along someone who can. Zinedine Zidane has been touted, but he did take over a fairly successful RM, could he take over a club with low morale & turn it around? If he came to OT would it be only his second big club?
I think that's why he did so well with Inter (Mourinho); he's very much suited to the catenaccio style of play, which is so lauded in Italy.

We are different in England, we'd rather play well in an attacking style and lose. In Italy they appreciate that defensive play is just as important and celebrate it.

Having said that, we're doing neither at the moment.

Zidane would be a big risk, but he's at least proved himself at managing superstar egos, and would have respect because he's "been there, done that" as a player.

Last edited by MaxNutter; 20-08-2018 at 09:49.
MaxNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 09:50   #3957
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I think perhaps where he works best is at a club a little starved of success, so if you've not won the title in a while or ever, you can tolerate it a little if you're winning every game and giving the odd team a thumping at home. But after a while it gets a little tedious.

When he's not doing so great, there is little to support him, especially when most fans seem to have taken the lack of fancy football to be the reason for not doing so well.

Zidane would work OK, the issue with United, is that any new manager coming in now would demand some serious funds, so changing the manager every year or two is not a very good financial move
Old 20-08-2018, 10:01   #3958
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Zidane would work OK, the issue with United, is that any new manager coming in now would demand some serious funds, so changing the manager every year or two is not a very good financial move
That's the problem that United now have. SAF and Wenger were freaks of the modern game. Managers either don't stick around because they have itchy feet or get a better offer, or they're sacked. Nobody is around for 5 or 10 years, let alone twenty.

The Glaziers have a problem. They've had it easy for so long, they've never stuck their hands in their own pockets (not even when they bought the club) and have creamed off the profits year on year, easily covering the transfer fees and wages.

Now they're going to have to 'tighten their belts' and take less because football has changed significantly over the last 5 or so years.
Old 20-08-2018, 10:34   #3959
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
That's the problem that United now have. SAF and Wenger were freaks of the modern game. Managers either don't stick around because they have itchy feet or get a better offer, or they're sacked. Nobody is around for 5 or 10 years, let alone twenty.

The Glaziers have a problem. They've had it easy for so long, they've never stuck their hands in their own pockets (not even when they bought the club) and have creamed off the profits year on year, easily covering the transfer fees and wages.

Now they're going to have to 'tighten their belts' and take less because football has changed significantly over the last 5 or so years.
I don't see it, more money in pot, clubs are spending more, transfer fees are rocketing, ManU have biggest revenue in football. They will continue to spend , they have to or will be left behind.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 10:35   #3960
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
I don't see it, more money in pot, clubs are spending more, transfer fees are rocketing, ManU have biggest revenue in football. They will continue to spend , they have to or will be left behind.
don't see what? that's exactly what I am saying.