Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Old 21-10-2017, 16:58   #2861
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
Well, everything I said came true. Will I get an apology from the twits who posted derogatory remarks against me, you bet they won't, they will keep their heads burried in the sand & come up with excuses. Most of our team would not get in any of the top teams. We need two world class strikers. We need a better midfield. This should have been sorted over the last 4 years.
Maybe if you didn't come across as so entitled?

**** result, yes. End of the world? No.
Old 21-10-2017, 17:44   #2862
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
Maybe if you didn't come across as so entitled?

**** result, yes. End of the world? No.
I am passionate about my club. I say what I see. That is not 'entitled'. Because you and a couple of others either can't, or don't want to see it, is not my fault. I then get called names etc. End of the world... No. End of our Premiership hopes definitely... unless things change big time soon.
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 18:00   #2863
MaxNutter

Quote:
I am passionate about my club. I say what I see. That is not 'entitled'. Because you and a couple of others either can't, or don't want to see it, is not my fault. I then get called names etc. End of the world... No. End of our Premiership hopes definitely... unless things change big time soon.
Nothing wrong with passion, but I know you've watched United when we were awful, yet it's as if you only remember the Fergie years.

We don't deserve to win every game, yet you always post as if we do.

I agree though, United should be entertaining, win or lose, it's the dirge of the last few years I abhor. Having said that, right now I will settle for winning, or at least improving.

Sure, there will be blips, but I think we're going in the right direction.
Old 21-10-2017, 18:38   #2864
MICON
Trusted User

In what world does a team stacked with average players like Lingard, Valencia, Young, Darmian, Herrera, Fellaini, Smalling win leagues and challenge for the CL. I think we are miles off personally and I reckon Jose does too.
Old 21-10-2017, 18:43   #2865
MaxNutter

Quote:
In what world does a team stacked with average players like Lingard, Valencia, Young, Darmian, Herrera, Fellaini, Smalling win leagues and challenge for the CL. I think we are miles off personally and I reckon Jose does too.
Is that the same Valencia that is rated by some as the best RB in the PL at the moment and the same Herrera that Barcelona are sniffing round?

Even Fellaini has been playing his best football this season, although I still don't rate him.

The others you mention are squad players at best, but 4 or 5 in a squad isn't "stacked" imo.

Fergie's squads were full of average players, but were more than the sum of the parts. José will make it work, although I doubt we will ever beat City in the goal difference stats.

Last edited by MaxNutter; 21-10-2017 at 18:45.
MaxNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 19:34   #2866
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,214 Times in 859 Posts
Quote:
Well, everything I said came true. Will I get an apology from the twits who posted derogatory remarks against me, you bet they won't, they will keep their heads burried in the sand & come up with excuses. Most of our team would not get in any of the top teams. We need two world class strikers. We need a better midfield. This should have been sorted over the last 4 years.
You lost one game.

But why not make an offer to the owners and use your billions to buy the team you think they should put out?

Or why not just change to a team that fits better with your "must win every game" philosophy. PSG? Celtic?
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 20:47   #2867
andybhoy
Trusted User

Micon, I'm one of those who normally has a pop but I'll rise above that. I normally express my frustration at your posting style (which comes across as manic-depressive), however I accept you feel how you feel.

However, it would be remiss to let the post go by without pointing out a few things;

A) Fergie lost games like this quite often and still won trophies.
B) We won trophies with the David Mays, Phil Nevilles, Gibsons, Parks, etc. Industrious, but ultimately limited players.
C) Even when Ruud was banging them in for fun, and one of the most sought after strikers in Europe, he wasn't good enough for you - I'd argue that only the likes of Messi would be good enough. We won't sign a ready made Messi. The strikers we have will have to step up.

Ozil might come in January. Griezman may come in the summer. We won't get the highest level striker- we will have to develop them. Though I doubt it's both, as they tend to be the same position. It'd mean the end of Mata though.

Lukaku is going to get 25 goals this season. Martial and rashford will get 15+. Zlatan may well do too. Pogba will get around 10, imo.

We are, imo, only a left back, a midfielder and in a year or two a right back, away from being a challenger for the CL. I think we are close with the league already.

In the spirit of being constructive rather than having a pop, I genuinely think you need to calm down. Yep, passion is great but life is too short for the level of upset and anger that football brings out in you. We win 4-0 and we weren't good enough. We win 1-0 and you're annoyed we didn't get 4. Yes, you're upset we lost - but it's one game - we always lose games like this even under fergie.

I love Utd but the last few years have tempered the upset, because much bigger things have happened outside of football to my family that have put football into perspective. Still love it, but it's not the meaning of life.
andybhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 22:09   #2868
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

One thing about Micon I like, the guy has passion...a lot of can be a bit 'knee jerk' but he's fully entitled to air his disappointment, especially when we put out 94 minutes of ***** like we did today!

I doubt very much that Maureen will be here more than a couple of seasons, it already seems he's fluttering his eyes at the likes of PSG... ...football, for me, will never again be the same as the wet dream that was the Fergie years, but I'll still be ****** off when the wearers of my team's shirts puts in less than 100% effort. Maybe if we could sprinkle a little of Micon's passion on the United squad we might actually mount a genuine challenge for the title!
Old 22-10-2017, 07:12   #2869
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

It's not passion, it's unrealistic expectation. Had they come back and nicked two last minute goals, he wouldn't be celebrating coming from behind and snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. It'd be, Man City won here 4-1 or something.

They're second in the league, to a team with considerably more resources.

If you can't accept that in a league as competitive as the PL, that you'll go to a place expecting to win and lose, then really you're not going to have much of a fun time supporting them. They'd be better off either supporting a team like Celtic who you can rely on to win every week or a team with zero expectations that when they turn up anywhere, they'll win. Crystal Palace or even Huddersfield, who I'd guess are celebrating like they've won the world cup.

It's not MICON as such, it's a type of fan. We have plenty at Nottingham Forest, I remember having to calm down a guy who was smashing seats when we went 3 goals down at Preston North End. This is what supporting Forest is. No this isn't the worse I've seen them play, I've seen them lose 5-0 at Oldham, get kicked out the FA Cup by bottom of the whole football league Chester, etc.

You can't win every game, if you did, nobody would play you.
Old 22-10-2017, 07:56   #2870
MICON
Trusted User

Post '2864' was not me, but a United supporter on 'Red Cafe'. I could easily fill several pages of similar remarks from them for this game alone. They don't come over as 'manic-depressive' fans, but passionate fans.

I don't expect to win every game, but I do expect my team to play well most games, especially as their wage level sugests they are top players, & not the free loaders some of them look like.

Some of our earlier 'big' wins, unfortunately covered over the cracks.

I could see this happening at the time, but to suggest it on this forum is a crime. We haven't played well for a while & some of our recent games have been an embarrasment.

Andy, you have my sympathy for your predicament. My prayers are with you. I will correct you on Ruud. I liked him immensely. When I started to criticise him, was when his game dropped, prior to that he was special. Unfortunately many thought so highly of him, that they would not let it go, that he was beyond his best. Yes he still had flashes of brilliance but he was not the Ruud of old. I have watched many of my hero's go this way, it happens. Best, Law, Cantona... the list is endless.

When we go to Liverpool, I want my team to play their hearts out, to try to win, to watch an exiting football match. If we lose then I, as all fans would be upset, but I would know that the team gave their all. But playing to win means you have a better chance of winning than to play for a draw, where the ball is in the opposition control & your half, sooner or later a lucky penalty, deflection etc will/ could happen.

Something has to change or we will slip down to 4th or 5th.
Old 22-10-2017, 08:04   #2871
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Would that be the end of the world? Your solution is to spunk hundreds of millions on more players, which they've tried and the players simply are not available. As Neymar showed, you cannot compete for the top top players. They neither want to live in Manchester nor can you afford the wages they demand.
Old 22-10-2017, 08:46   #2872
madstu
Trusted User

Let’s not use Red Cafe as a barometer of sanity. The best posters on there stay away from the match day threads as it’s full of people who completely overreact. Clearly losing to Huddersfield is a very poor result, but let’s not throw in the towel over a couple of games.

Ref our squad, the last thing we need to be doing is buying a load more players, we’ve had enough of that over that during LVGs time, a scattergun approach that hasn’t improved the team. Jose has done well in the transfer market - but teams need time to develop, and clearly there has been progress under Jose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22-10-2017, 09:37   #2873
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

To be fair to MICON there is a big difference between expecting to win every game ( which no team will ever do ) and, on current form, expecting more than 1 point from Liverpool and Huddersfield away.

You may well be 2nd, currently, but that is largely due to the teams you have played. You have a tough run of games coming up and it will be interesting to see where you are after City in mid-December.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 09:41   #2874
HenryKrinkle

Big fortnight coming up, 2 cup games and Spurs and Chelsea...while the CL game's not vital, I'll be happy (...and a little surprised) if we progress in the league cup and hold on to 2nd place in the Prem.

After a great start there is a dip in form that must not continue...a poor performance at Liverpool, gifted win at Benfica and yesterday's horror show... ...we need a top performance at Swansea in prep for a tough early Saturday kick off against our current closest rivals!
Old 24-10-2017, 19:41   #2875
HenryKrinkle

There was a time this thread would be buzzing on match day, sign of the times I s'pose

...oh yeah, quick comment on the game...1-0...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 24-10-2017, 20:01   #2876
MaxNutter

I think that's like the forums in general.

Anyway, I can't watch live any more and one of the kids has been throwing up all evening, so I've not had a chance to look.
Old 24-10-2017, 22:04   #2877
MICON
Trusted User

You didn't miss anything, it was another boring display. At least we won, with two good goals from Lingard. Max, I recently moved from Sky to Talk Talk (I know) because they were cheaper than Sky broadband & phone. As a result I can get Sky Sport as a bonus for Ł8.50 a month. Could be an option.
Old 24-10-2017, 22:09   #2878
MaxNutter

Quote:
You didn't miss anything, it was another boring display. At least we won, with two good goals from Lingard. Max, I recently moved from Sky to Talk Talk (I know) because they were cheaper than Sky broadband & phone. As a result I can get Sky Sport as a bonus for Ł8.50 a month. Could be an option.
Nice idea, thanks, but unfortunately we have A Sky F1 left over from the HD days and the other half would kill me if I changed that.

It's more a time thing, what with twins. I could find 'other' ways to watch, but I'd probably never get the time to be honest.

Still, a win is a win.
Old 27-10-2017, 21:56   #2879
MICON
Trusted User

This is a must win game. All guns blazing, no namby pamby defending all the way through.
Old 28-10-2017, 12:56   #2880
HenryKrinkle

Well, doesn't look like they're listening....got a boring 0-0 written all over it, neither team deserves anything from this game.

...maybe Lingard can score a rare prem goal?!