Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 17-07-2014, 13:47   #41
Marts62
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen View Post
Well... they needed him not to get the money in time?
That's not evidence.

How did they know he HAD the money? How could they know he'd be out for x days and not y hours?
Marts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 08:07   #42
Gedalia
Space Monkey

No thoughts on this week's episode?

I feel bad for the Chief. Everyone's treating him like crap and he tries really hard.

I still don't get the white clothed people, and wtf were all those dead bodies tagged as "loved ones" all about?
Gedalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 11:25   #43
mamboboy
Legend

Thought it was back to the adequate standard of the first two. Nowhere near on the same par as episode 3!

I wasn't sure about the dead bodies either, but according to reviews they are "Real Doll-esque Loved Ones that loved ones of the Departed apparently buy to bury". Not quite sure when that's been mentioned?!

Last edited by mamboboy; 22-07-2014 at 11:32.
mamboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 12:14   #44
FlangeMonkey
WHERE'S MY JEEELLLLY?

I was massively confused as to what the bodies signified too - I thought at first that they just looked too real to be "replicas/dolls". The fleeting close-up on one of the shipping labels didn't reveal much since it wasn't lingered on for long enough. I think mamboboy is right, but not all articles online agree - some have said they are corpses but it's so ambiguous that's not surprising. Thinking back, there was no gore/blood anywhere after such an accident/spill so they are almost certainly models. It didn't help that they used a real person for the close-up (unless it was an extremely convincing special effect). The company listed on the shipping label was the same one that robo-called Tom on the phone Wayne gave him. I could barely hear the content of the message though since he was maniacally laughing and just drowned it out...I certainly didn't put two and two together to link the events...

I wonder if the show is being deliberately obtuse and vague (I'm guessing yes since a) it's HBO so they think the audience are probably more "capable" without having to be spoon-fed, and moreso b) because it's Damon Lindelof and his track record with Lost for the obscure/obtuse without explaining things is well-known).

I'm still enjoying it, I HATE all the teenagers though (both separate stories involving the lead's two kids). The younger characters are SO annoying. I'd much rather they focus more on some of the other more minor characters in the town - last week's ep. with Eccleston was supreme.

Last edited by FlangeMonkey; 22-07-2014 at 12:16.
FlangeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 15:50   #45
statto
Jedi Master

There was an advert playing on TV about being able to buy a replica of your loved ones who had been taken so you could give them a burial/cremation/whatever in order to get some kind of closure.

I'm undecided about it TBH. There are decent elements, but the whole Guilty Remnant stuff is just twaddle (do any of us seriously think that people would do what they're doing, with no apparent reason, or join them because they send people to stare at you). I get that people may be more prone to join cults, but not ones where you chain smoke and can't speak.

I think Richie's comparison with John From Cincinnati is a good one, though at the moment I'd say this is a pale imitation of that show.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 20:36   #46
Apostate
Trusted User

For me the existence of the white folk is plausible - the vanishing of 2% of the population would mess with people's heads on an unprecedented scale. No idea what their agenda is though.
Apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 05:53   #47
Richie
Trusted User

Re: The Leftovers - New Damon Lindelof / HBO Sci-fi

The GR do my head in, I can't get a handle on them at all (which is probably the point). I didn't understand them in the book and I don't understand them in the tv show.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:14   #48
FlangeMonkey
WHERE'S MY JEEELLLLY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto View Post
There was an advert playing on TV about being able to buy a replica of your loved ones who had been taken so you could give them a burial/cremation/whatever in order to get some kind of closure.
Jesus, I completely missed that! Was it in the same ep?
Old 24-07-2014, 11:33   #49
basegreen
neergesab

I realised immediately that the "bodies" were dolls. The reactions to them were obviously not that of seeing bodies either.

It has the LOST feeling of asking lots of questions but not giving any answers or reasons.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 20:42   #50
chillster76
Yeah!

Episode 5 - another episode that kept me gripped. I'm slightly confused by some of the characters' actions though. The mayor suddenly seems to be on the chief's side yet before she seemed an adversary. Dog shooter bloke on the other hand has turned slightly against him. Liv Tyler seems suddenly to be a lot further down the GR path of crazy. The son on the run was nowhere to be seen (thought that's no bad thing).
It's like there's been a lot of editing going on, or carelessness, or something. Given it's Damon Lindelof, perhaps they're just making it up as they go along episode by episode, thus don't have any strong characterisations figured out.
Old 28-07-2014, 21:16   #51
SIMON ADEBISI

Well that was one of the most violent things ive seen on a tv show
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 09:01   #52
Richie
Trusted User

I'm struggling with this tbh.

The opening scene this week was one of the most vomit inducing things I've ever seen, which I guess was the point. I wonder how many people switched off completely? Yes, we've seen similar barbaric acts in Game of Thrones etc. but here it was just so ferocious and hate filled and um, "real". The scene did it's job brilliantly as the opening montage really makes you hate the woman from the GR (like when she walks past the old man that's fallen down) but your sympathies switch the second the first stone is thrown. As bewildering and frankly annoying as the GR are, no-one deserves that.

I wish there was a way to understand the GR and what they're about as they make no sense whatsoever and the whole not-talking thing is just well, stupid. What's the point of doing that? If nothing matters and we're all ****** anyway why not just enjoy yourself with the time you think you have left? They don't seem to be religious so what's the worry? Surely you only care about the rapture etc. if you believe in that crap in the first place? Health is clearly not important (what with the enforced smoking) but then you go to the hospital because you have a panic attack? Surely that should be accepted as part of the martyrised "suffering" they like so much? It's seems that the GR are more like an asset accumulation scam preying on the vulnerable and stupid than a movement with any real meaning or purpose to me.

Kevin lost his shirts this week. That was thrilling.
Can't wait for the episode where he loses his car keys and he's late for a council meeting. Again.

One last thing (and I can't believe I'm typing this), the constant swearing is really annoying.
Old 29-07-2014, 10:36   #53
Gedalia
Space Monkey

That opening scene, wow. My wife and I watched it through our fingers! That was absolutely brutal and it kept going on and on. Unbelievable how gruesome HBO pushes the boundaries of good taste.

Very interesting episode though as it really paints a new light on the GR. It seems that outside of this town, they are seriously derided and them being killed is not an uncommon occurrence and it's only due to the sheriff's wife being involved that we've seen a more protective view of them. We still don't really know what on earth they are really about though.

WTF was the ATF doing with all the GR bodies at the end and being so shady about taking them and offering to get rid of the problem? Is there a systematic elimination of the GR going on around the country?
Old 05-08-2014, 21:28   #54
mamboboy
Legend

Another v. good one this week - I much prefer the character-centric episodes.

The PayPal product placement was so lame... although not nearly as bad as Burger King in one Silicon Valley episode! I've noticed HBO are doing it a lot more lately, and I'm not quite sure why they need to do it so blatantly seeing as they are a subscription channel?

Last edited by mamboboy; 05-08-2014 at 21:38.
mamboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 21:36   #55
alsemail
Bibble....

HBO apparently don't get paid for placements they only use them when it seems authentic to do so. I remember reading something a while ago about Entourage and the whole subplot with Turtle and the Tequila that HBO got nothing from it, the owner of the tequlia brand was a friend of the creator of the show.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:02   #56
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

I do give product placements some slack unless it's blatant so that the setting feels real, because with seeing everyday objects then it just becomes odd to me if for example cars don't have the manunfactors logo on them like i've seen on some TV series, that sticks out more to me then if they did
Old 08-08-2014, 01:53   #57
Richie
Trusted User

Re: The Leftovers - New Damon Lindelof / HBO Sci-fi

This week‘s was the best episode since Rev. Matt‘s episode. You really got an understanding of Nora as a person. Hopefully brother and sister will reconnect seeing as they are the only family they have left. Weaving in the Holy Wayne plot was good too.

I still find this show a “difficult“ watch but episodes like this are quite rewarding.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:07   #58
statto
Jedi Master

I don't think it's coincidence that the best two episodes have been the ones that focussed on individual characters. When the series is essentially a character study these types of episodes are always going to resonate more.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:09   #59
Gedalia
Space Monkey

Excellent stuff.

We're still no closer to understanding wtf Wayne is doing and how he takes people's pain away. I liked the hint that **** is going to go down soon though as he doesn't think he has much time left.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:21   #60
chillster76
Yeah!

I got the impression that the deal with Wayne is just that he's very charismatic and tells people what they need to hear to move on.