Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 08:43   #101
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

I much preferred the second episode. It's still not great but I thought it was an improvement.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:00   #102
NicolaUK
Trusted User

The 2 annoying scientists need to be bumped off for a start. This could have been great, there's a whole cast of interesting S.H.I.E.L.D. members who could have been used to join Coulson, such as Jasper Sitwell, Sharon Carter, Jessica Drew, Clay Quartermain and Valentina Allegra de Fontaine. I'm not sure that the Red Hand Gang are going to cut it.
NicolaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:46   #103
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

The two annoying scientists are like a poor rip off of the 2 scientists from Pacific Rim.
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:31   #104
tizza
cranial deficient

Its too talky. Not enough action. No wonder its on channel 4 on friday night!
tizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:01   #105
Thucydides
Senor Member

This was poor - just plain dull mostly and seems to be aimed at kids.
Thucydides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:47   #106
alsemail
Bibble....

A big fat meh from me...
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 14:58   #107
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,411 Times in 1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyrob View Post
It's utter garbage, but strangely compelling. Clark Gregg's acting style is like Shatner on happy pills - his delivery is one-note and bland beyond belief, but he's still immensely watchable. Maybe it's all that time in Tahiti.
It's a magical place.
Boink! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 15:44   #108
BlueDwarf
I MUST HEAR FIREWORKS

Just shows how good an actor you have to be to have the Whedon-inspired dialogue not to come out like glib dross.
"Your frown will go in the report" - it's like a parody.
BlueDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 17:54   #109
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

Got around to watching the first episode today.

It's Heroes meets Buffy. That is, the worst parts of the two shows meeting.

Having SHIELD be what amounts to an aged-up Scooby Gang is cringeworthy. They're a serious organisation! They should be acting like adults, not children! The science pair being the worst offenders in that regard.

Also disappointing that they went with the age-old 'how do you stop an exploding man?' plot. Seriously, they couldn't come up with something more original - or, at least, something that hadn't been done on TV before? I never want to see another exploding man on TV (well, unless DC decide to do Firestorm, I suppose).

Still, first episodes often suck, as everyone's still trying to figure out the show, so I won't write it off just yet (had I let sucky early episodes put me off, I never woulda found the good parts of Parks and Rec, f'rex). We'll see where it is halfway through the season, say.
Old 05-10-2013, 19:55   #110
Hex
Chemical Member

second ep wasn't great but it's not like i'm going to stop watching while they continue to show it. I'm hoping that now they have had a 'team building' episode they can get on with it for real
Old 06-10-2013, 09:50   #111
Sprout Crumble
They're starting 2 shimmy

Very poor and not seeing much hope of change. Cast is wrong, stories poor and predictable. Whiny teens. Ticks all the wrong boxes.
Sprout Crumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:07   #112
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Biggest problem is formulaic stories, full of action and not much story. Do we really need to see another hole blown in the side of plane, do we really? And where did she get that idea from eh?

After the first ep I said to the bloke at work if it wasn't marvel and wasn't Whedon I wouldn't have bothered watching the second one, he agreed and added for him the flying car was jumping the shark in the first episode, which I kind of agreed.

And now the second one, I am considering giving up even if it is whedon (jed? Son?) and Marvel. The question is how many big cameos is it going to have, that's the only thing that's going to keep its head above water, I'm holding out hope for a Hulk one, but would the cgi cost possibly prohibit them doing it.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:27   #113
NicolaUK
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
After the first ep I said to the bloke at work if it wasn't marvel and wasn't Whedon I wouldn't have bothered watching the second one, he agreed and added for him the flying car was jumping the shark in the first episode, which I kind of agreed.
Far from jumping the shark, the flying car was the most authentic part of the show.
NicolaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:01   #114
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

Not son, brother.

I actually feel kind of sorry for them over the flying car thing. I've seen so many people complain about it being ripped from BTTF. But the SHIELD comic had flying cars long before that.
ajr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:09   #115
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

It's complete passable fluff but it really needs ...

Decent bad guys (Hydra were hinted at but they need to be in it fast.)
For a massive organisation they only seems to be six of them in it.
Every ones to young and pretty. Even on US Tv you can have experts older than 21.

I have a felling that by the time they have a mid season break they'll be lots of changes.(Hopefully.)
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:15   #116
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
Every ones to young and pretty. Even on US Tv you can have experts older than 21.
Well Clark Gregg is 51 and Ming-Na is 50 next month!
The problem is that the actors have absolutely no chemistry. The two playing Ward and Skye are bland as **** (which is THE biggest issue for me) and Fitz and Simmons are just annoying (although they'd probably be okay if they didn't behave like excitable teenagers with ADD the whole time).
I know it's only two episodes in but they need to switch things up pretty quickly for this not to become a massive embarrassment.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:53   #117
Soprano
Walking the line

Its just awful.

But I suspect for a lot of us, this will be like Smallville. We'll watch every week expecting it to get good. It won't. We're unlikely EVER to get an decent minor characters (Daredevil, Cage, Spider Woman etc..) introduced from the Marvel Universe, as they will be tied-up to some future film project which may never happen.

Its played very safe and just goes through the motions. This is just SHIELD 90210
Old 07-10-2013, 14:40   #118
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

Absolute, Grade A toss made for 14 year olds.

Just woeful.
Old 07-10-2013, 19:48   #119
Hex
Chemical Member

But I suspect for a lot of us, this will be like Smallville. We'll watch every week expecting it to get good. It won't.

I got wise towards the end of Smallville and realised i just didn't care about it any more and stopped watching.

I don't have a problem with the flying car that others have, they do after all have a flying aircraft carrier. In fact i'd rather them have some more tech, those little quad-copter things they use should be free floating spheres imo, although i'm sure that the quad-copters are more marketable as a toy :/
Old 07-10-2013, 22:10   #120
Guest 49794
XBL: kerzo84

I must be in the minority then, thought episode 2 was better than the first by a long way, if it continues on that trajectory then good stuff!

I must add I am coming at this having only watched the Marvel movies and not knowing much else about the universe or other characters therefore I am not an expert fan. There are plenty of serious TV shows out there, for me it's nice to have the odd one where you sort of turn your brain off.
Guest 49794 is offline   Reply With Quote