Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Notices

Old 14-07-2012, 19:58   #1
BrotherEidos
Trusted User

Box for Netflix advice please

Hi
Looking for advice on a box to stream US Netflix, I currently do this with my Xbox 360 but my interest in gaming is diminishing and i don't fancy paying for the gold service just to access Netflix.

I really liked the look of the Roku but being unable to change the settings scuppers this option ( i have a BT HomeHub 3 and am unable to change settings on this ).

If possible some additional Apps would be nice so i looked in to the Boxee Box which doesn't get great write ups - has anyone tried the Iomega Boxee options? Can these access US Netflix?

I would like an Apple TV 2 with XBMC but the cost of these is out my range at the moment and the Apple TV 3 would be good if jailbroken but i have no other Apple products and no intention of paying for any other services other than Netflix.

Streaming from a PC is a nice option but not essential, have looked at the WDTV but not sure if i am able to access US Netflix with these ( unblock us suggests not? ).

I have a budget of £100 - £150 so any thoughts on any of these options are welcome plus any other options that would suit my needs.

Many thanks

Dean
BrotherEidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 23:12   #2
Captain_Howdy666
Made of 100% pure awesome

A PS3 from CeX?

It's more than just a games machines and you don't need to pay extra for Netflix.
Old 15-07-2012, 11:02   #3
RichB
XBL Gamertag: FiniteRich

I use apple tv (3rd gen) and love it, it suits my needs well though as i rent a lot of new movies on itunes
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 09:29   #4
stu_69
prohibido

Apple tv3 is your easiest option and I am sure it will be jail broken in time. The prices of atv2' are so high because the 3 hasn't been hacked yet. If it ever is the prices will tumble.
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 09:51   #5
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherEidos View Post
Streaming from a PC is a nice option but not essential, have looked at the WDTV but not sure if i am able to access US Netflix with these ( unblock us suggests not? ).
I have a WD live streaming and use US netflix (with unblock US) - just make sure you're connected to the US DNS when you update the firmware and you get the US netflix (there's annoying region stuff in the firmware though so this means you LOSE iPlayer)

It's great for netflix too - i used to use my PS3, but found it annoyingly loud after a while (i have an old big one). I've had zero issues with the WDTV. It's only about £66 at amazon at the moment too...

Last edited by hookbeak; 17-07-2012 at 09:52.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 18:03   #6
BrotherEidos
Trusted User

Thanks for the answers so far the WD live looks like the best for me especially at the cheaper price, wasn't sure about the way US Netflix worked on it before, all seemed a bit confusing.

Cheers

Dean
Old 17-07-2012, 19:30   #7
BrotherEidos
Trusted User

hookbeak, would you be able to tell me exactly which model you have and also what other apps apart from Netflix - if any - are on it?

Cheers

Dean
Old 17-07-2012, 20:36   #8
GalaxyBlue
Trusted User

This is a direct link to the one that Hookbeak is talking about. Its gone up to £70 though :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digi...2557146&sr=8-1

Apparently, as well as Netflix the following are on it :

spotify
BBC iplayer
Youtube
GalaxyBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 21:08   #9
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Yep thats the one. You need a premium spotify account for it to work, and as I said - you'll lose iplayer if you want US Netflix.

Great little box though.
Old 18-07-2012, 08:32   #10
Matholwch
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
Yep thats the one. You need a premium spotify account for it to work, and as I said - you'll lose iplayer if you want US Netflix.

Great little box though.
I got mine (Western Digital TV Live) yesterday, plugged it in, and it works great!
Incidentally, you can have US Netflix, and keep iplayer - worked fine for me last night.
I *think* that netflix didn't used to be standard on the UK registered WD, but it is now. So I changed the DNS on the wifi link to use tunlr 's DNS server, and hey presto I get US netflix, and UK iplayer!

Its actually very good, I've got a Netgear ReadyNas, running transmission, I can access the admin console of transmission on my iphone. Download something, then it pops up as available on the ReadyNas DLNA, which my WD TV Live picks up, and can be played.

Very cool!
Old 18-07-2012, 08:45   #11
w_n_s
Scare Mongerer

I got the Roku - maybe a future firmware update might allow the settings to be changed for DNS .

The BIG positives for the Roku is the Resume functionality for almost anything. I am using the Plex App on the Roku to stream media and this pretty much decodes EVERYTHING and the resume option is present for this stuff as well. Also, having a remote control!.

Last edited by w_n_s; 18-07-2012 at 08:47.
w_n_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 09:54   #12
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matholwch View Post
I got mine (Western Digital TV Live) yesterday, plugged it in, and it works great!
Incidentally, you can have US Netflix, and keep iplayer - worked fine for me last night.
I *think* that netflix didn't used to be standard on the UK registered WD, but it is now. So I changed the DNS on the wifi link to use tunlr 's DNS server, and hey presto I get US netflix, and UK iplayer!

Its actually very good, I've got a Netgear ReadyNas, running transmission, I can access the admin console of transmission on my iphone. Download something, then it pops up as available on the ReadyNas DLNA, which my WD TV Live picks up, and can be played.

Very cool!

Just make sure then, that you're not connected to US DNS when you upgrade any firmware - the newest has a Geo-Lock that removes iPlayer if it thinks you're in the US (which is what happened to me)
Old 18-07-2012, 10:44   #13
Matholwch
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
Just make sure then, that you're not connected to US DNS when you upgrade any firmware - the newest has a Geo-Lock that removes iPlayer if it thinks you're in the US (which is what happened to me)
I'm using tunlr which looks at your traffic, and determines which is for netflix, and only uses the US DNS for netflix, the rest goes via UK. Admittedly, my DNS was still on default router (UK) when I did the firmware update on initial setup.

But definitely getting UK iplayer, US Netflix (HD too which is nice).
iane (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58   #14
iane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matholwch View Post
I'm using tunlr which looks at your traffic, and determines which is for netflix, and only uses the US DNS for netflix, the rest goes via UK. Admittedly, my DNS was still on default router (UK) when I did the firmware update on initial setup.

But definitely getting UK iplayer, US Netflix (HD too which is nice).
Thanks for the heads up on tunlr - really really easy (for me!) and works great.

cheers

Ian
iane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 13:17   #15
Guest 65726
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_n_s View Post
I got the Roku - maybe a future firmware update might allow the settings to be changed for DNS .

The BIG positives for the Roku is the Resume functionality for almost anything. I am using the Plex App on the Roku to stream media and this pretty much decodes EVERYTHING and the resume option is present for this stuff as well. Also, having a remote control!.
Don't hold your hopes out on that, love my Roku for Plex but even configuring my router to use UnblockUS DNS you still get UK Netflix whereas all my PC's/tablets all work on US Netflix :S
Guest 65726 is offline   Reply With Quote