Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 25-09-2011, 07:09   #21
Woz
Viva indifference

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
An enjoyable episode for once, spoiled only by the River Song astronaut guff at the end. Does anybody still care about that nonsense?
Nearly everyone. Even my 9 year old!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
Decent episode, but who the hell plays chess in the middle of the night in the middle of a city centre????
Students
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 07:20   #22
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
Decent episode, but who the hell plays chess in the middle of the night in the middle of a city centre????

Was there not a shot in the next time trailer with a sign saying " live chess " also
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 07:56   #23
tizza
cranial deficient

I think Matt is great as the doctor but this whole episode just screamed 'budget cuts'....In fact the whole of this series has looked unbelievably made on the cheap.

Very bland storyline, characters, his GF kicked out for the entire ep.

What are they shooting dr who on nowadays a 5D?? This was very evident in last weeks episode.

Anyone spot Greg James the radio one dj in the lingerie dept, he mentioned he would be trying for a extra. At least I think it was him.
tizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 08:04   #24
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizza
In fact the whole of this series has looked unbelievably made on the cheap.
I can't agree with this. It looks better than it ever has. Did you not see "a good man goes to war" or "the impossible astronaut" ?
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 09:01   #25
tizza
cranial deficient

Just its nearly always just interaction between two or three characters,maybe the writing is too dialogue driven and not enough action. A lot more Tennant episodes had better set design and character development. Look at silence in the library. A memorable episode if ever there was one. I havent seen anything as good as that as yet. Dont get me wrong there was some filler in his stories too, just this seems a lot more filler.

In fact nothing even as good as series 5 last yr.

Last edited by tizza; 25-09-2011 at 09:03.
tizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 09:14   #26
ian turner
Trusted User

Any episode without the idiot pond and her dope of a husband trying to kill the doctor with acts of gross stupidity is an improvement. I reckon Wilfred would make a better companion especially as the currnt level of lunacy the doctor is displaying would fit with an invisible friend in a dog suit

Last edited by ian turner; 25-09-2011 at 09:15.
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 10:03   #27
jpig
Trusted User

This was like a return to the dark gurning days off the hyperactive Tennant. awful, until the last five minutes which were probably Moffat written

It was like a Sarah Jane adventures story.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 10:06   #28
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

When you have one of the most powerful Doctor Who opponents beaten by a crying baby, it really is a proper facepalm moment.
Guest 10592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 10:15   #29
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Good setup, the character moments, working in a toyshop, was all worknig really well - except some of the hideous missteps - the Doctor talking baby (but this can be put down to eccentricity, he's only pretending to be able to understand baby), the starscape on the ceiling, it takes away all pretense that this is a real dramatic story, as they've taken away all reality and its we're just making stuff up, if no real world rules as we understand them apply it undercuts the drama.

ANd then the OTT of the cybermats teeth, unneccessary and a bit garish (definitely a lot B-movie), and then the awful, awful ending; where the Doctor gets knocked out by a Cyberman and is just left there, although later on it is established they know who he is, and then he is just held by a cyberman, they have no motivation, no reason for doing things other than the story just saying so. So the Doctor cant help because he is being held, it was intersting to see the hero rendered powerless for a change, but then a minute later he can escape the hold - because the script says so. Awful and thats before the idea that a Dad has more emotional resilience to cyberconversion than all the thousand other people who have been converted in the past, soem of whom also must have been dads - and Rose's mum was definitely one of them if i remember rightly.

It's the first real contender God & Monsters has had for the worst episode of New-Who as far as I'm concerned, the arc lot bits were good though, other than the fact the Doctor has to die tomorrow - er, why? He'sa time traveller, time is not linear for him, and the date we were given was by our timeline - 2011, not his - unless sometime in the past the Doctor decided to use our timeline as his home so our present is also his? But still, seems nonsense to me, unless someone can enlighten.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 10:27   #30
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

I thought this was a fantastic episode right up until the silly cyber defeat. Then it was awful.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 10:29   #31
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
I enjoyed it, nice light funny episode but the denouement was pretty lame, and contradicted everything we've had about cyber conversion from the tenant era.
Not everything, surely? There's the woman in charge of Torchwood who retains her knowledge and some humanity and goes around killing Cybermen as a Cyberwoman saying, "I did my duty," or something?

Not that I'm really defending how they were defeated but most non-Moffat Doctor Who eps disappoint me on the ending.
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 10:32   #32
Kevin
Trusted User

Just trying to get my head around next weeks episode, after seeing the final couple of minutes of "Closing Time".

So, if as it seems
is in the astronaut suit, and
, how does that work?

Are there

Hmmm....bit confused, but I suppose all will be revealed in 6 days.

Not confused anymore....travelled back in time, and re-wrote this post!!

Last edited by Kevin; 25-09-2011 at 11:48.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 10:33   #33
Guest 2951
Trusted User

Is there anything in it that these were not LUmic cybermen but old style - no Cybus industries logo on chest.
Remember in an old episode that people resisted even in the ones where they were being turned. That army/assassin guy in the later episodes of the old Who. The one who had worked for the Daleks for one.
Guest 2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 10:47   #34
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Yeah it's a bit confusing. The "Pete's World" Cybermen from the Tennant era basically ripped out the brain and encased it in a fully robotic body. All the Cybermen in the Moffat era have been original Cybermen from our universe and they have a different conversion system.

The stupid thing is that they've re-used the Pete's World costumes, so it doesn't really make any kind of visual sense.
Guest 10592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 11:02   #35
4gotten
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
the fact the Doctor has to die tomorrow - er, why? He'sa time traveller, time is not linear for him, and the date we were given was by our timeline - 2011, not his - unless sometime in the past the Doctor decided to use our timeline as his home so our present is also his? But still, seems nonsense to me, unless someone can enlighten.
The Doctor said he'd been putting it off for a long time, so it would always be "tomorrow". He's been putting it off for 200 years. But this was the day he decided it was time to go and face it. He said something similar in TIA "I've been running all my life and now it's time to stop."

That's how I see it anyway: tomorrow is a figure of speech.
4gotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 11:05   #36
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
When you have one of the most powerful Doctor Who opponents beaten by a crying baby, it really is a proper facepalm moment.
This isn't the first time human emotion has defeated the Cybermen.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 11:09   #37
Guest 41989
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Just trying to get my head around next weeks episode, after seeing the final couple of minutes of "Closing Time".

So, if as it seems
is in the astronaut suit, and
, how does that work?

Are there

Hmmm....bit confused, but I suppose all will be revealed in 6 days.
Not sure why you are spoiling something which was seen in this episode but the answer is... TIME TRAVEL! Which is the one of the central themes of the whole show or is this your first episode?
Guest 41989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 11:15   #38
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by degeneration View Post
Not sure why you are spoiling something which was seen in this episode but the answer is... TIME TRAVEL! Which is the one of the central themes of the whole show or is this your first episode?
There's also the established idea that you can't have two of the same people running around one universe.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 11:21   #39
Kevin
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by degeneration View Post
I put spoilers in just in case someone hadn't watched the episode yet...it's only been 18 hours, and a lot of people might have Sky+'d it, so didn't want to give anything away.

As for Time travel....is that what Doctor Who is all about ? I thought it was a spin-off from Casualty

I don't think simply saying "Time Travel" really answers anything, to be honest. Yes, we all know The Doctor can travel in time, but I just wondered how we get the situation where we get two of the same people at his death at the same time, that's all.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 11:23   #40
jpig
Trusted User

Also kind of explained in the first episode when River goes to shoot the astronaut and the shots don't register and she says something like 'Of course not'. She can't kill her younger self, because she'd then, the older River, cease to exist.

So how does the Doctor stop River killing him? In an episode called The Wedding Of River Song...
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote