Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 26-01-2012, 21:17   #221
daz_75
Trusted User

on a side note, how old do you think my boys should be before i let them watch star wars, is 4 too young?
daz_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 22:17   #222
allan
Trusted User

I really hope these bomb at the cinema (the 3d releases).

I'd go and see them with my unlimited card at Cineworld but they charge extra for a 3D showing which I just refuse to pay for.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 23:30   #223
Steve1977
Citizen Erased

Lucas seems on a massive downer with Star Wars at the moment with the way he's been slating a lot of the fans who were unhappy with his many changes.

Going back to The Phantom Menace there is no denying that when you see shots from the movie it looks absolutely gorgeous but then the film is just so boring.
Steve1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 07:55   #224
Guest 61747
Collector Of Cool Stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1977 View Post
Lucas seems on a massive downer with Star Wars at the moment with the way he's been slating a lot of the fans who were unhappy with his many changes...
Yes, as has been discussed in the 'GL Is Retiring' thread. He is throwing a major strop as he cannot understand why there has been such a vehement backlash against all of his (apparently) wonderful, artistic, creative decisions in his movies recently. So in stead of doing the right thing and correcting the changes to SW and apologising for Indy IV, he has picked up his ball and taken it home with him, where he will probably sulk for ages.

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Blu 'Complete' set and the first extras disc has practically nothing on it! It has short sections of video but is mainly stills. Is this how they have filled up a 25Gb disc? I assume it's a 25Gb disc, I would be really irritated it was a 50Gb, thinking of all the missed stuff from previous releases that would have fitted on it.

Still and having said all of that, I probably will get the Blu 3D SW films, if nothing else then just for the novelty of having the SW movies in 3D before the technology vanishes again for another 20 years.
Guest 61747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 09:51   #225
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Lucasfilm will need to put something extra on the 3D Blu-rays to make us buy them all again. Last time they did that (for the individual DVD releases), the original versions of the OT were dusted off...
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 10:20   #226
thescrounger
Trusted User

In my case they'd have to come with a 3DTV.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 11:23   #227
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightStorm View Post
Yes, as has been discussed in the 'GL Is Retiring' thread. He is throwing a major strop as he cannot understand why there has been such a vehement backlash against all of his (apparently) wonderful, artistic, creative decisions in his movies recently. So in stead of doing the right thing and correcting the changes to SW and apologising for Indy IV, he has picked up his ball and taken it home with him, where he will probably sulk for ages.
If people had spent 15 years telling me what i was doing was **** and whining like babies about it, then perhaps i'd be "stroppy" about it too. People seem to think he owes them something and forget he's a human being.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 11:39   #228
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Well without the fans he would have nothing so he does owe them something arguably. Ultimately the films end up belonging to the fans.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 11:41   #229
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
In my case they'd have to come with a 3DTV.
In my case they wouldn't have to.
Old 27-01-2012, 11:47   #230
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Well without the fans he would have nothing so he does owe them something arguably. Ultimately the films end up belonging to the fans.
Yeah, but without him the fans have no Star Wars, good or bad. And so that particular argument has no end.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 27-01-2012 at 11:47.
Old 27-01-2012, 11:52   #231
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff
Yeah, but without him the fans have no Star Wars, good or bad. And so that particular argument has no end.
Then they wouldn't know what they are missing anyway! To say he owes them nothing is wrong though.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 12:10   #232
Walrus Man
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz_75 View Post
on a side note, how old do you think my boys should be before i let them watch star wars, is 4 too young?
Age 4 is perfect, get them started on it right away!

However, my son, who is now 6, has still not seen ROTS, it's just too dark for him, e.g. Dooku's decapitation, and of course the result of Obi-Wan vs. Anakin.

Also, until very recently, I skipped over the Anakin on Tatooine bit of AOTC.
Walrus Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 12:32   #233
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

I was actually thinking the other day... I've never understood why the original three (and Menace) are rated U over here. Empire is a pretty intense film and all four of them feature lightsaber dismemberment of some kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Howdy666 View Post
There's a massive standee for Episode I 3D in my local Vue. I didn't see a release date, I just walked passed in disgust.
A cardboard cut-out for a 3D film. How ironic.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 13:03   #234
Guest 53796
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus Man View Post
Age 4 is perfect, get them started on it right away!

However, my son, who is now 6, has still not seen ROTS, it's just too dark for him, e.g. Dooku's decapitation, and of course the result of Obi-Wan vs. Anakin.

Also, until very recently, I skipped over the Anakin on Tatooine bit of AOTC.
My 6 year old girl still hasn't watched all of ROTS. She loves the other 5 films, but started to watch it late last year and decided it was too dark for her ("Too much killing"). I had been keeping it back until she was older but it happened to be on TV early enough for her to see - and she does love Star Wars generally.
Guest 53796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 15:37   #235
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz_75 View Post
My lad started on them when he was 3.

Be prepared for 2 things though.

1.They'll prefer the new trilogy,especially Phantom menace.
2. Them waking you up at 6.30a.m. wanting a lightsaber fight.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 16:07   #236
Guest 61747
Collector Of Cool Stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
...he's a human being who has lost all sense of artistic control and really has got too used to having on one saying "No" to him.
Fixed that for you. And before you once again accuse me of being one of those who are "whining like a baby" the truth is that I was actually OK with the '97 Special Editions. Even with the dreaded 'Han shoots second' change to a certain extent. And if it had stayed like that, it would have been better for a lot of people, I think. But it actually didn't. He has chopped and changed ad hoc as many times as he has wanted to, and for no valid artistic reasons that anyone can see. And that's what really annoys me about the continuous changes. He wrote STAR WARS. He provided the the story material for both EMPIRE and JEDI. So when it came to writing the three prequel stories, he knew where it was supposed to be going from the start to the finish.

So why were they so hit-and-miss...dare I say poor? And why have so many of the changes made to the OT, been done purely to blend the two sets of films together? Anyone might think that this was something a really skilled writer would have been able to do with the material at the 'writing the prequels' stage, mightn't they?...Or is that totally unreasonable?

Either way, the films do looke really good on Blu, and from what I have seen on SKY3D, the Phantom Menace trail looks pretty good too!
Old 27-01-2012, 16:44   #237
Niceguygeoff

Lucas isn't a "really skilled writer" though, never has been. The OT turned out like it did (well, Star Wars and Empire anyways) because he had lots of collaboration during the writing process. Willard Huyck (and his wife, I forget her name) helped Lucas big time with American Graffiti and Star Wars, and of course there was Larry Kasdan with Empire.
Old 27-01-2012, 17:21   #238
Guest 61747
Collector Of Cool Stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post
Lucas isn't a "really skilled writer" though, never has been. The OT turned out like it did (well, Star Wars and Empire anyways) because he had lots of collaboration during the writing process. Willard Huyck (and his wife, I forget her name) helped Lucas big time with American Graffiti and Star Wars, and of course there was Larry Kasdan with Empire.
Exactly my point, he IS NOT a skilled writer. George may be a great 'ideas man' but his writing sucks, especially dialogue. The reason that they did not turn out so great was exactly due to his lack of writing ability...and yet he took it upon himself alone to write all three films, no help, no ideas farmed out to better or more experienced screenwriters. The first people who read his screen treatment for SWI:TPM must have almost laughed out loud.

Perhaps they should have laughed a bit louder!
Old 27-01-2012, 21:00   #239
Niceguygeoff

The funny thing is, the shooting scripts aren't terribly bad. The dialogue isn't Shakespeare, but it works. The trouble is that Lucas has a horrible habit of cutting down dialogue scenes to the bare minimum in the edit, which creates that jarring, stilted style of conversation which plagues the prequels. Characters no longer explain their actions, they simply say what has to happen and Lucas thinks that's enough for the audience.

Not only that, but people respond to specific lines of dialogue which have been cut out. This is something that happens in all movies, but it hurts the prequels badly because the writing is only vaguely coherent (but coherent nonetheless) to begin with; when bits start getting hacked out, usually to make room for another CG action sequence, the dialogue loses all sense of cadence and rhythm.
Old 28-01-2012, 11:51   #240
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightStorm View Post
Exactly my point, he IS NOT a skilled writer. George may be a great 'ideas man' but his writing sucks, especially dialogue. The reason that they did not turn out so great was exactly due to his lack of writing ability...and yet he took it upon himself alone to write all three films, no help, no ideas farmed out to better or more experienced screenwriters.
Actually, the RotS script was co-written with Jonathan Hales. Too little, too late though.

EDIT: Apparently, I'm wrong. It was AotC. Ironically, the weakest script of the three....

Last edited by ourmatetone; 28-01-2012 at 11:53.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote