Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion > Home Cinema @ The Digital Fix Comments

Notices

Old 23-08-2010, 09:10   #1
Guest 10924

[Blu-Ray Review] The Innocents

Comments attached to the Blu-Ray Review 'The Innocents' on Movies @ The Digital Fix

DO THEY EVER RETURN TO POSSESS THE LIVING? - Find out on Blu-ray for the first time!...

Click here to read!
Guest 10924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 09:10   #2
Guest 64054
Banned

Great review and a classic film which I only saw for the first time last year! Ill be picking this up when its available for a tenner. Another film which borrows quite heavily from this one is The Orphanage of course. Although this one and The Others and The Orphanage are all quite similar, I love all three.

The child actors in The Innocents are simply brilliant, especially the boy - cant believe he didnt go on to other films.
Guest 64054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 14:13   #3
Guest 58662
Trusted User

So many great films are now being released in hi-def that are already available in "fully restored" SD (for example the Criterion Collection series). I wish the digital fix reviewers would emulate those who write for the magazines that offer an opinion as to whether it is worth upgrading to Blu if you already have the "top of the range" SD version.
Guest 58662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 15:14   #4
Shingster
Trusted User

Well no offense Jackthedoc, but us DigitalFix reviewers simply expect our readers to apply a bit of common sense and realise that if a Blu-ray release earns a 9/10 for the Transfer/Sound then it offers a step up from what Standard-Definition is capable of.

Another important factor is whether the reviewer in question actually has the various SD releases at hand when covering a HD release. In my case I used to own the R1 DVD but sold it a while back and thus couldn't compare the two, but I assure you that had I kept that DVD then you would have seen comparison screengrabs on this page.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 08:57   #5
Guest 75560

Received my copy yesterday but unfortunately the disk seems to be defective (there's nasty pixellation / digital breakup of the image accompanying any sudden movements in both the film itself and the extras). I wonder if I've just been unlucky or there might be a pressing problem; my BD player copes with all my other disks OK.
Guest 75560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 16:49   #6
Shingster
Trusted User

Interesting wabrit, do you mean when fast forwarding or during regular playback? I must admit I too had some relatively minor breaking up on two occasions during fast forward, but because it was so minor and only happened a couple of times I just assumed it was down to my old and slow player (although I must admit I haven't really done much fastforward/rewinding on the release so it may happen more frequently if I put the disc through its paces).

Reading through a thread on the release over at the criterionforums I see another person seemed to have pixellation issues as well, he got in touch with the BFI and sent them his disc so they could look into it:

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/...=8734&start=50

Last edited by Shingster; 27-08-2010 at 16:51.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 22:23   #7
Guest 75560

Thanks for the link Shingster; interestingly the same problem (pixillation on regular playback, not fast forward or reverse) that the poster over on criterion forum mentions, occurs for them on an LG BD360 - that happens to be the player I'm using too. That's a bit of a downer if it means that it's a bit of a lottery as to whether BFI discs will play on that player :-(
Guest 75560 is offline   Reply With Quote