Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 03-05-2010, 22:08   #101
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

It didnt seem like a continuity error to me - he was like a completely different 'doctor' for that brief scene.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 22:33   #102
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Doctor Who 5x05 - "Flesh and Stone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold1066

Just watch this back again; and while you can just make on the jacket (its all shot in a tight headshot), I think its just a continuity error; we all know these scenes are recorded out of order.
So how do you reconcile the fact that this entire bit of the conversation makes no sense whatsoever within the episode?

What she did when she was seven had no bearing at all on the outcome or her actions - so why would he say it was so important ?

I'd bet a years salary that it's no error.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 22:35   #103
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
So how do you reconcile the fact that this entire bit of the conversation makes no sense whatsoever within the episode?

What she did when she was seven had no bearing at all on the outcome or her actions - so why would he say it was so important ?

Yeah I agree. That scene seemed very weird to me and I didn't notice the jacket bit. It was just odd in many ways.
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 23:22   #104
The404
In Stereo Where Available

Quote:

I thought what he said made perfect sense and was fitting for the scene. I initially saw it as the Doctor coming back to comfort Amy, and his comments were to make her concentrate on him to stop the angel taking over her mind.

That's how I saw it anyway...

Of course, I'd love for it to have been the Doctor from another timeline. Infact, I'd love for them to pull a 'Back to the Future II' and have a whole episode running parallel to this one.
The404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 23:36   #105
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,050 Times in 522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The404 View Post
Of course, I'd love for it to have been the Doctor from another timeline. Infact, I'd love for them to pull a 'Back to the Future II' and have a whole episode running parallel to this one.
I think Amy will be lost through one of the time cracks and the Doctor will have to go back through time "fixing" her fate at all the points where the crack tries to remove her. She'll be a "complex time event" by the end of the season and complex enough to close the crack. She might even dive in to save the Doctor or something.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:25   #106
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Just a thought. Talk of the slightly jarring nature of this scene made me remember that one very quick scene in the Daleks episode where the door opened behind the Warden and he yelled for them to put the light out. At the time I just dismissed it as a mishandled way to tell the audience that London was in blackout but maybe it's connected to this in some way. If it was most of the finalé will be flash backs from a different point of view, I guess.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:38   #107
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

This time leak thing spans all the way back to the opening episode in many ways - for example the duck pond that has never had any ducks, Amy not remembering daleks and Amy not having any parents.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:55   #108
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The404 View Post
I thought what he said made perfect sense and was fitting for the scene. I initially saw it as the Doctor coming back to comfort Amy, and his comments were to make her concentrate on him to stop the angel taking over her mind.
if this is the case then what is it that she is supposed to remember from when she was seven ? If the Doctor isn't going back from the future then we heard it in Episode 1.

It also doesn't explain how the Doctor gets back to River and Octavian so quickly after his conversation (ie instantly) and also the complete change in attitude he has between both halves of the conversation. Too much doesn't add up to be a continuity error.

I also think that dramatically the doctor losing his jacket just prior to this is pointless unless there is going to be a reason for it later - i'm fairly convinced this will be so that we can tell the two doctors apart when we revisit this episode from the future doctors POV.

Another possible thing to be filled in is from episode one where he meets Mrs Angelo (Annette Crosbie). She thinks she has met him before : 'where have we met before?' . I think she has met him, just not yet

Last edited by hookbeak; 04-05-2010 at 08:26.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:14   #109
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGB View Post
Just a thought. Talk of the slightly jarring nature of this scene made me remember that one very quick scene in the Daleks episode where the door opened behind the Warden and he yelled for them to put the light out. At the time I just dismissed it as a mishandled way to tell the audience that London was in blackout but maybe it's connected to this in some way. If it was most of the finalé will be flash backs from a different point of view, I guess.
I thought that was just a tribute to Dad's Army
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:28   #110
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
I thought that was just a tribute to Dad's Army
i thought so too, but from a production point of view it seems a little odd - cost of hiring the actor, filming it and the matte shot etc - all for a scene that you could replace entirely with a single line from churchill saying "we have to keep the lights out" without any detriment to the episode at all...
Old 04-05-2010, 08:45   #111
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:

Another possible thing to be filled in is from episode one where he meets Mrs Angelo (Annette Crosbie). She thinks she has met him before : 'where have we met before?' . I think she has met him, just not yet
This could be explained away by Amy drawing and making raggedy doctor pictures and models, but i tend to agree. Annette Crosbie is too good an actress to have a bit part as short as that one.

I love the fact that we have more to talk about than the actual episode. It's the first time that the 'arc' hasn't felt stuck on and if the pay off is anywhere near what people are speculating then I think we're in for a real treat!
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:45   #112
boonspoon
SILENCE!! I KEEEEL YOU!!

I'm pretty sure I mentioned something about that in the thread for that episode.....
Old 04-05-2010, 09:03   #113
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonspoon View Post
I'm pretty sure I mentioned something about that in the thread for that episode.....
Yeah, it was mentioned but at the time we didn't have any reason to think it was more than a clumsy allusion to the blackout thing. I don't entirely agree with hookbeak about the hiring of an actor since he's seen in the bit when the lights go on and then go off again. I'm still not convinced it's anything more than a slightly badly handled scene but I guess we'll see at the end.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:18   #114
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Of course, if we're now considering 'jarring' scenes we can look again at the sequence in The Beast Below where Amy wakes up from her mind wipe to watch a recording she's left herself saying to keep the Doctor away and having lost 20 minutes... The general feeling was that the episode seemed to have bits 'missing' and had been cut down a little. Maybe this is going to be revealed at the end too? Hmm...
Old 04-05-2010, 11:38   #115
riz1
Trusted User

Muchos thanks to Jim989 for giving me the headsup to the repeat.
Great series so far already with so many questions and permutations!
I like this edgy new doctor as well with his random bursts of anger
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:57   #116
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil

I do hope we are not all looking for something that's not there, just imagine if moffat is sat there reading these ideas thinking, ****, it was just an error.

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff
Jedibitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:14   #117
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibitch View Post
I do hope we are not all looking for something that's not there, just imagine if moffat is sat there reading these ideas thinking, ****, it was just an error.
Yeah. I think I preferred hoping he would do a finalé better than RTD's to hoping he wouldn't fail to promise the ultimate time travelling complex season arc.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:42   #118
KennyVader
Insomniac

Don't know if anyone remembers the Doctor Who Prom that they did a year or two ago as part of the annual Proms season, but they are doing it again this year.

This time with both Matt Smth and Karen Gillan as hosts, and it'll be on the Saturday evening (24th July) and the following Sunday lunchtime too (same music/hosts).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2010/what...7.shtml#prom10 (Sat)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2010/what...7.shtml#prom11 (Sun)

Quote:
Karen Gillan (companion Amy Pond) and Matt Smith (the Doctor) host an intergalactic musical adventure featuring Murray Gold's music from the TV series, plus a selection of classical favourites.
Programme to include:
Murray Gold Music from the Doctor Who series(c40 mins)
John Adams Short Ride in a Fast Machine (5 mins)
Holst The Planets – Mars (6 mins)
Orff Carmina burana – 'O Fortuna' (5 mins)
Wagner Die Walküre – The Ride of the Valkyries (5 mins)
It will also be on Radio 3. It doesn't say (for either of them) if it will be on TV or not, the last one was, although they kept it until Christmas to broadcast.

You'll be in for a long wait if you try booking today though as booking for the whole season only just opened.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 13:43   #119
CLH
La Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVader View Post
Don't know if anyone remembers the Doctor Who Prom that they did a year or two ago as part of the annual Proms season, but they are doing it again this year.

This time with both Matt Smth and Karen Gillan as hosts, and it'll be on the Saturday evening (24th July) and the following Sunday lunchtime too (same music/hosts).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2010/what...7.shtml#prom10 (Sat)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2010/what...7.shtml#prom11 (Sun)

It will also be on Radio 3. It doesn't say (for either of them) if it will be on TV or not, the last one was, although they kept it until Christmas to broadcast.

You'll be in for a long wait if you try booking today though as booking for the whole season only just opened.
I wonder when the last time Orff was performed and was only the second loudest piece of music?
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 18:48   #120
Harold1066
Trusted User

Quote:

I can't but there are a couple of instants of these conversations.

Also did anyone else find River Song final scene a bit strange; it seems as though she in a room on her own recording it. The eye contact seemed off and even the conversation with the Dr and Amy didn't seem right; the laugh also seemed false