Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 16:56   #241
anephric
Kidney Thief

Pah. V2000, I sez.

Of course, even in those days, I wasn't happy with VHS and spent ludicrous amounts of money on laserdiscs.
Old 06-07-2010, 17:08   #242
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
Pah. V2000, I sez.

Of course, even in those days, I wasn't happy with VHS and spent ludicrous amounts of money on laserdiscs.
Absolutely. I think some people are getting a bit too misty eyed about the olden days, as there were still nerds obsessing over video quality way back when. Perhaps not with tape, but LD gave us that first big step up and I personally have never looked back. It's only because I love movies so much that I want to get them at the very best quality available. If I feel that a certain presentation falls short, then I'm gonna damn well say so.

And BD isn't the end either. There's the 4K2K video format to come...
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 17:22   #243
thescrounger
Trusted User

BD will be the last physical media format. Enjoy it while it lasts, because while the future is inevitably downloads, the quality will suffer.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 17:58   #244
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Laserdisc was surely even more of a niche than BD? I don't remember ever seeing any for rent in any video stores. Saying that, I'm talking mid 80's here, and if you are old enough to have been concerned about video quality of VHS back then, well you must be old gits
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 18:21   #245
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

I seem to remember, vaguely, people getting irate about poor NTSC-PAL conversions to VHS, so yeah, nerdery was definitely about - and the very, very first '20th Century Fox' VHS release of Alien suffered a mastering fault that meant it was practically unwatchable as it was so dark. I remember seeing it on the shelf in Smiths for about £50 in around 1981, along with Blade Runner and it impressed me greatly just seeing it there. It was never remastered, I dont think, until the proper rental version came out, so plus ca change.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 18:34   #246
LouBarlow
Retired Member

The first nerd bitchfight I remember for VHS was The Abyss. Something about people complaining that the image didn't fit their TV screens
Old 06-07-2010, 18:36   #247
RomerojpgX
Dead

I used to get the Rental VHS tapes as they were a lot of the time way better quality than the sell thru ones in shops, so I guess I have always been picky

I even had the Rental version of Predator sadly recently in the bin someone dumped it!
RomerojpgX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 18:39   #248
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I used to buy ex-rental US VHS from my local 'video van' - last one I bought was The Exorcist
Old 06-07-2010, 20:37   #249
Aardvark_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
At least we just enjoyed films for what they were back then
Then why do you buy BDs? Why did you get a big TV? You could have just stuck to enjoying "films for what they were". Hey, you could still crop your movies to 4:3 and transfer them to VHS, that way you don't have to worry about how they look 'cause they'll all look like crap. Oh bliss!

You people...
Aardvark_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 20:44   #250
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

When I was 8 Ghostbusters was the greatest film ever and I only had it on VHS, with the beginning missing, the adverts paused out, and obviously pan and scan.

So I hear what Lou is saying.

Of course I now want my movies in the best presentation possible, but it only adds to the enjoyment IF your aware of how they SHOULD look.

I doubt anyone who bought the French Connection on Blu Ray from HMV, when they came out of Macdonalds, got home and thought "This is ****" "What has Friedkin done to the transfer!" I also bet they really enjoyed the film.*

* Although I stuck with the DVD because it would have bugged the **** out of me.

Last edited by chris21; 06-07-2010 at 20:46.
chris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 21:27   #251
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris21 View Post
When I was 8 Ghostbusters was the greatest film ever and I only had it on VHS, with the beginning missing, the adverts paused out, and obviously pan and scan.
Heh. Even as a little kid, I found cuts to be painfully obvious and I wondered why those massive black bars were there at the beginning and the end of every movie when shown on TV. Were we. . . missing something? And then I saw a bit about letterboxing on Film 90-something with Barry Norman and that was it, man - I was a widescreen convert at the age of 12.

Getting the widescreen VHS tape of Die Hard (white spine version) was like seeing some sort of amazing director's cut versus the cropped, dubbed and hacked-up TV edit that I burnt into my brain. Since then, I've never stopped trying to get the best presentation I can for my favourite movies. I guess I've never stopped railing against those abominations that were shown on TV way back when.
Old 06-07-2010, 22:07   #252
simong
I'm taking it back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post
Getting the widescreen VHS tape of Die Hard (white spine version) was like seeing some sort of amazing director's cut versus the cropped, dubbed and hacked-up TV edit that I burnt into my brain.
As soon as I found out what Widescreen was I had to have everything in it so was even double dipping on VHS! Die Hard was probably one of my first. Die Hard 2 was even more special, as it was 18 instead of the 15 rated P&S version.
Old 06-07-2010, 22:12   #253
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Quote:
Originally Posted by simong View Post
As soon as I found out what Widescreen was I had to have everything in it so was even double dipping on VHS! Die Hard was probably one of my first. Die Hard 2 was even more special, as it was 18 instead of the 15 rated P&S version.
Did you watch each of them in slow-motion to ensure McClain's stubble was of the same contrast on each release? And then write into to VHS Monthly voicing your disgust at the new one over the original (or vice-versa)?
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 22:14   #254
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Heh. Even as a little kid, I found cuts to be painfully obvious and I wondered why those massive black bars were there at the beginning and the end of every movie when shown on TV. Were we. . . missing something? And then I saw a bit about letterboxing on Film 90-something with Barry Norman and that was it, man - I was a widescreen convert at the age of 12.

Getting the widescreen VHS tape of Die Hard (white spine version) was like seeing some sort of amazing director's cut versus the cropped, dubbed and hacked-up TV edit that I burnt into my brain. Since then, I've never stopped trying to get the best presentation I can for my favourite movies. I guess I've never stopped railing against those abominations that were shown on TV way back when.
I never, ever understood why certain scenes I'd seen in books never looked the same on video until I understood widescreen. I remember watching that first Star Wars widescreen release on a 22" telly, in ******* STEREO, thinking it really didnt get much better.

I remember paying £20 for Blue Velvet on VHS in a huge box because it was Widesceen and it was worth every penny to finally see it properly.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 22:37   #255
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

I remember being 16 before I finally saw Jaws, and The Empire Strikes Back, in widescreen.

That was a revelation.
chris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 22:40   #256
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
Did you watch each of them in slow-motion to ensure McClain's stubble was of the same contrast on each release? And then write into to VHS Monthly voicing your disgust at the new one over the original (or vice-versa)?
Take the **** all you want, but if the internets existed as it does today back then I'd have been moaning about my VHS tapes something chronic. I remember when the widescreen THX remastered VHS of Die Hard came out, and I noticed that the framing was different, the colour was very orange and the sound was curiously lower-pitched than what I was used to. I'd have moaned about it to my friends, but they were interested in music and girls and whatnot. Saddos.
Old 06-07-2010, 23:12   #257
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Similar story to mine, although it was this guy:

thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:22   #258
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark_DK View Post
Then why do you buy BDs? Why did you get a big TV? You could have just stuck to enjoying "films for what they were". Hey, you could still crop your movies to 4:3 and transfer them to VHS, that way you don't have to worry about how they look 'cause they'll all look like crap. Oh bliss!

You people...
Because now there is a choice. I didn't have the option of buying a big television back then, so knew no different. Nobody is claiming that watching a BD offers no improvement as an 'experience' just technology hadn't moved on, we would still have been obsessed by the films regardless.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:16   #259
simong
I'm taking it back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
Um, no. I just wanted to see the parts of the picture I'd been missing all those years.

However, I was confused further when I discovered open matte. "I've bought the widescreen version but appear to be seeing less of the picture, WTF!"
Old 07-07-2010, 17:38   #260
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by simong View Post
Um, no. I just wanted to see the parts of the picture I'd been missing all those years.

However, I was confused further when I discovered open matte. "I've bought the widescreen version but appear to be seeing less of the picture, WTF!"
Ah, I remember it well. Reservoir Dogs was the one that got me. 'How come the 4:3 clips in the 'making of' featurette show more information than the 2.35 movie?'