Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 13:25   #181
Guest 69911
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
I hated the T2 Skynet edition.
I picked the Skynet version up simply because I wanted the superior theatrical cut and didn't fancy ordering the pricey Japanese set.

It is crazy smooth in many places. Though the DNR does help integrate the CG much more seamlessly (at the great expense of...)
Guest 69911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 14:08   #182
nwgarratt
Trusted User

A few comparisons between the old and new bd releases.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1259984
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 14:47   #183
LouBarlow
Retired Member

/places pre-order
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 15:03   #184
Moldiver
Contributor/Reviews

Old 01-07-2010, 15:53   #185
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
Doesn't Cameron have approval on all his transfers?
Transfers, yes. Encodes, no. The Skynet T2 encode (North American version) went to Lightstorm for approval, but JC did not check it himself.

I am very, very worried about Aliens. No, I've got nothing better to do.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 01-07-2010 at 15:53.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 16:28   #186
LouBarlow
Retired Member

What step of the process does all the noise reduction take place then? I presume all digital tomfoolery is performed on the raw before the encoding process? i.e. it looks like wax before it is encoded?
Old 01-07-2010, 16:29   #187
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Isn't the Alien boxset being handled by that super-awesome geeky film guy (can't remember his name at all!) who has demonstrated that he always puts quality first?

Charles de Something...?
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 16:30   #188
allan
Trusted User

He won't get final say though sadly.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 16:30   #189
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Gauule?
Old 01-07-2010, 16:44   #190
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Yes, Charles de Gaulle.

or Charles de Lauzirika
He's handled the Alien Quadrilogy, Blade Runner Final Cut, Kingdom of Heaven and Terminator 2 special editions. And they easily rank among the best DVDs/HD-DVD's/Blu-Rays released.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 01-07-2010 at 16:46.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 16:46   #191
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Can't Bob Harris do it? He can't be busy.
Old 01-07-2010, 16:59   #192
RomerojpgX
Dead

Just get Stevie Wonder to come along and help, he at least will get the same response as the people who do the over the top Noise Reduction. Pretend not to see the garbage.
RomerojpgX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 18:28   #193
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
What step of the process does all the noise reduction take place then? I presume all digital tomfoolery is performed on the raw before the encoding process? i.e. it looks like wax before it is encoded?
Sure. It doesn't just go transfer--->encode. An intermediary step is usually taken to perform any additional processing that be required, e.g. dustbusting, scratch removal, DNR, EE etc. But I usually say 'encode' to describe what ends up on the disc, as 'intermediary step' would just confuse people further.

As for Aliens, CDL has very little say in what the movies will look like. He's producing the Alien BD set - and thank **** for that - but the movies are still the domain of the director. Cameron was happy enough with how the existing transfer of Aliens looked, so that's why no new transfer was created for the Quadrilogy set (unlike Alien). They didn't recycle the existing 1999 DVD encode, as a new one was produced for the Quad DVD, but that didn't help with any of the underlying issues of the extant HD master.

If Fox have taken that same master and just ******* DNR'ed it then the Blu version could be a disaster. But if they couldn't get Cameron to oversee a new transfer (we know that Abyss and Terminator are waiting for his Lordship's approval, no word on a new transfer for Aliens at all) then they're caught between a rock and a hard place: put the same haggard master on BD untouched, Joe Public has a fit because it looks like ****; DNR it to hell a la Predator, and the nerd community has a fit because it's even further removed from what it should look like.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 01-07-2010 at 18:30.
Old 01-07-2010, 18:58   #194
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Surely Cameron would see the pre-encoded, digitally messed with version, before giving it the greenlight though?

I have a naughty HDTV version of Aliens, which is smeary *and* grainy, which will probably get you even more worried Not a lot more detail than DVD though. The naughty version of Alien I have is stunning, so hopefully they won't balls that up.

Last edited by LouBarlow; 01-07-2010 at 18:59.
Old 01-07-2010, 19:09   #195
RomerojpgX
Dead

I do remember a few commentaries talking exactly about this issue of what they see and what acctually ends up on the final disc. The films them commentaries were on sadly strain my brain, but I can remember conversations about such issues and what they expected the transfer to look like in the end etc..

I guess it is hard to get it perfect without some direct director input on the discs all the way thru production. Not just ticking a box early on and saying yes that looks great use it! and then getting down the road making the discs which look nothing like they signed off on.

Many discs are Director Approved as well, which also adds insult to everyone involved and you just know many of the directors no way would want them like that end disc, still some acctually do which is even more odd.
RomerojpgX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 20:18   #196
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Surely Cameron would see the pre-encoded, digitally messed with version, before giving it the greenlight though?
As I said, the transfers are signed off by JC personally. The resultant masters and subsequent encodes are approved by whichever flunky is at hand at Lightstorm.
Old 01-07-2010, 20:59   #197
Indiana Jonezzz...
Trusted User

I received my new copy of Predator today, been dying to actually see it in motion after looking at so many screen shots and reading all of the comments regarding the DNR. I have to say... I kinda LOVE the remaster, it's made me go wow many times already. I've never seen the film look so good before and for me, there is still plenty of life in the image. It doesn't look artificial, apart from perhaps that Arnie red shirt briefing scene shot at the start. But even then, not NEARLY as bad as I was expecting.

Now perhaps blown up on a 100inch screen, it might not look as hot, but on my 42inch full 1080p Panasonic plasma, I'm LOVING it (and I've been inspecting it from about 3ft away). After staring at comparison shots, I honestly don't think any detail is being lost, the grain is originally hiding whatever detail was there anyway. So when they remove the grain, they are removing the detail behind the grain that wasn't even visible in the first place. So yes, it does lack the detail of a modern film (and perhaps a proper restoration from the original negative), but I'm very much liking the lack of overly distracting film grain. And I'm not against film grain by any means btw, just that Predator was always intensely grainy.

Anyway, each to their own, but I'm a very happy bunny having one of my favourite films looking better than I ever thought it could

Last edited by Indiana Jonezzz...; 01-07-2010 at 21:04.
Indiana Jonezzz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:24   #198
Psycho
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jonezzz... View Post
I received my new copy of Predator today, been dying to actually see it in motion after looking at so many screen shots and reading all of the comments regarding the DNR. I have to say... I kinda LOVE the remaster, it's made me go wow many times already. I've never seen the film look so good before and for me, there is still plenty of life in the image. It doesn't look artificial, apart from perhaps that Arnie red shirt briefing scene shot at the start. But even then, not NEARLY as bad as I was expecting.

Now perhaps blown up on a 100inch screen, it might not look as hot, but on my 42inch full 1080p Panasonic plasma, I'm LOVING it (and I've been inspecting it from about 3ft away). After staring at comparison shots, I honestly don't think any detail is being lost, the grain is originally hiding whatever detail was there anyway. So when they remove the grain, they are removing the detail behind the grain that wasn't even visible in the first place. So yes, it does lack the detail of a modern film (and perhaps a proper restoration from the original negative), but I'm very much liking the lack of overly distracting film grain. And I'm not against film grain by any means btw, just that Predator was always intensely grainy.

Anyway, each to their own, but I'm a very happy bunny having one of my favourite films looking better than I ever thought it could
Thanks for that!

Where did you get your copy? Is it out in the UK yet?

Psycho
Trader Feedback: Trader Feedback Thread
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:31   #199
johnsy
www.Brain-Damage.co.uk

Well, having had the luxury of choice, I plumped for the Pred 1&2 double pack for Ł12.99 at Play.com rather than pay more for the new edition just to get features I wouldn't bother with, and to be honest, I'd rather a grainy print rather than an overprocessed version (the wax figure comments worried me a little!). I'm sure they will be a bit better than my DVDs (and I'm not certain I've actually got Pred 2 on DVD!).
johnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:32   #200
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Looked at that thread NW posted earlier and it made me glad I went for the old version. The fourth shot of Arnie doesn't look the least bit real and the picture of the general looking like an oil painting is hilarious.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote