Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 00:30   #301
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post
I've now finished White Christmas in its entirety, including all the new HD extras. And Mr. Harris, who clearly likes the transfer but does not accord it his Seal of Approval in the way he does The Sound of Music, which, for my money, is not in this class, I'm afraid, does this and Paramount a great disservice - perhaps that's his plan, I have no idea why he would say that this isn't as sharp as a VistaVision film should be or that the color in the opening reels is "off." It is the sharpest transfer of a VistaVision film I've ever seen, frankly, and the color is absolute perfection - want to know what IB Technicolor looks like - here it is in all its glory. Want to know why I complain about the color of The Searchers? Compare it to this and you'll know exactly why. Then there's the Beaver. The screencaps aren't within a country mile of showing how sharp and gorgeous this is. He does like the transfer, but continually (as he normally does) hedges his bets - "some minor noise" (um, no), some brief shots a little hazier than the rest (um, yes, those would be opticals), can't swear to it, but doesn't think he sees any digital tinkering (um, he doesn't - swear away, Beaver).

So, let me just state it long and loud - one of the best blu-ray transfers of a classic film of that era EVER. My jaw was on the floor, frankly. And if you want the proof, just watch the extras, which are filled with hi-def clips of the previous DVD transfer - you will not believe the difference. So, I'm sorry Mr. Harris and Mr. Beaver, haineshisway is giving this HIS Seal of Approval - certainly one of the best transfers of the year. The others can rave about The Sound Of Music because of Mr. Harris' approval, but that transfer is not anywhere near this, and this film is a decade earlier. Again, I found The Sound Of Music to be an excellent but imperfect transfer - other folks have shown up who seem to agree, but we are few and far between, because when people read Mr. Harris, they just adopt whatever view he has - and his views are very peculiar at times, and I say that with all due respect because I know the man and like him.

Do not hesitate to get this.
Many thanks. I won't hesitate. I will buy this. I've always quite liked the movie anyway. After the slightly disappointing Doctor Zhivago Blu-ray which Robert Harris praised very highly, I too now take his recommendations with a pinch of salt.
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:42   #302
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Yes, I did not agree with his Seal of Approval for Zhivago AT ALL. I've been very pleased with Warners' recent transfers, but I think Zhivago was done a year or two ago - they've since gotten someone in there who seems to have a better idea of what color should be.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 16:20   #303
Guest 66681
Trusted User

Thank you for review of White Christmas as my blu-ray arrived today and I must say this is very natural and very stunning picture quality...really pleased and would highly recommend it

Last edited by ben001; 08-11-2010 at 16:20.
Guest 66681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 00:03   #304
Guest 53019
Trusted User

The owner of the HTF has chimed in on Sound of Music, proclaiming it to be perfect. Mind you, he has never seen the film in a theater (if I'm reading his post correctly - the guy is not a writer), only on VHS, then laserdisc, then DVD. He's never liked the film until now. I wonder why? Since he immediately references Mr. Harris in his post, I think we all know why. In fact, here's a fun parlor game: What if - Mr. Harris had been less than thrilled with the transfer. It's not even a parlor game - I can tell you that everyone would be less than thrilled with the transfer - every single person on that board who is raving because he raved, would suddenly find the same objections that he'd found. The exact same transfer with an slightly altered viewpoint from Mr. Harris - that's all it takes over there. A few people have been less than thrilled with it, and they are immediately taken to task by everyone - that's why the owner finally posted. The only completely silent person is, of course, Mr. Harris.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:53   #305
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
The owner of the HTF has chimed in on Sound of Music, proclaiming it to be perfect. Mind you, he has never seen the film in a theater (if I'm reading his post correctly - the guy is not a writer), only on VHS, then laserdisc, then DVD. He's never liked the film until now. I wonder why? Since he immediately references Mr. Harris in his post, I think we all know why. In fact, here's a fun parlor game: What if - Mr. Harris had been less than thrilled with the transfer. It's not even a parlor game - I can tell you that everyone would be less than thrilled with the transfer - every single person on that board who is raving because he raved, would suddenly find the same objections that he'd found. The exact same transfer with an slightly altered viewpoint from Mr. Harris - that's all it takes over there. A few people have been less than thrilled with it, and they are immediately taken to task by everyone - that's why the owner finally posted. The only completely silent person is, of course, Mr. Harris.
Why are you bring all this over to the DVD Forums, it should be posted on HTF, not here
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:17   #306
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Maybe he's just letting us know

I'm glad he does anyway - I find the HTF almost unreadable.
Old 09-11-2010, 18:12   #307
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonI View Post
Maybe he's just letting us know

I'm glad he does anyway - I find the HTF almost unreadable.
Thanks for stating the obvious. I bring it over here because it's interesting and has to do with, you know, blu-rays, transfers, opinions, and because it's amusing. And Simon is right - it's unreadable.
Old 09-11-2010, 18:40   #308
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

It's not just that you're not brave enough to say it on there, then? I do find the reviews of Blurays interesting. The constant banging on about Robert Harris less so.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 18:57   #309
RomerojpgX
Dead

Dont you know? Robert Harris is God to some fools.
RomerojpgX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 19:26   #310
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

I'm quite happy in my ignorance. Or was.
Old 09-11-2010, 19:31   #311
RomerojpgX
Dead

Yup may as well mention Rolf Harris, it would at least be more amusing seeing his name 5936365382 times per thread.
RomerojpgX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 19:41   #312
Shingster
Trusted User

I think I've only ever read three of his posts/reviews in total, never visit the Home Theatre Forums and I don't really visit the AVS that often either, usually only to have a look at what issues are being raised about a release before I review it (and even then it's only for the high profile titles, can't be arsed otherwise).

You can understand why he'd gather a bit of a following though as there really are so few people on the internet posting disc reviews who are geniune professionals, I'm sure haines would have a more enthusiastic following on this boards if his posts were a little more diplomatic!

Last edited by Shingster; 09-11-2010 at 19:43.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 20:22   #313
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

I've been on the HTF for a number of years, and RAH is a class act. Whenever I've needed specific info for reviews he's always helped me out. Sure, he's become a demi-god over at the HTF, but I'm not gonna hold that against him. And while the dissenters are being shouted down in the Sound of Music thread, it's a different story in the BTTF one where he basically said that the film was not worthy of looking better than it does (easy now, haines) because it's not "art". PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT.

And, at the end of the day, his opinion is just that. An opinion. Same with haines, same with everyone. The only person who should decide if they're happy with what a Blu-ray transfer looks like is you out there.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 20:30   #314
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Well, he's right there, BTTF is not art by any stretch of the imagination. Its a kids film ffs. You have to have seen it at the right age or its rubbish now.

Last edited by KRW; 09-11-2010 at 20:31.
Old 09-11-2010, 21:56   #315
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Why I oughta.....
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 22:24   #316
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Wiseguy, huh?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:07   #317
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
I bring it over here because it's interesting and has to do with, you know, blu-rays, transfers, opinions, and because it's amusing.
Given your often-aired views on people on the internet expressing an opinion, I suppose that sentence could finally be a move toward you conceding there are other views to be heard out there.
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:57   #318
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Some recently watched disks:

Fantastic Mr Fox

A nice, clean transfer, lovely colours - though as they acknowledge in the extras, one that is predominantly yellow and brown...

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

This is how all films should be on BD: a clean transfer, apparently unfiltered or enhanced, slight but visible grain, and believable colours. A joy to behold - very unshowy for a transfer, letting the beauty of the animation take your breath away instead.

Helvetica

This moderately interesting documentary runs for 80 minutes and has only one audio track, so it was puzzling that it seemed to exhibit tons of edge enhancement - clearly visible even on a 32" screen. The answer turns out to be that the disk contains many hours of extra interviews - there's one for each particpant (about thirty) and the first two I looked at ran for over an hour each, in HD! The picture for the main feature was very nice apart from the EE.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:17   #319
Alan George
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post

And, at the end of the day, his opinion is just that. An opinion. Same with haines, same with everyone. The only person who should decide if they're happy with what a Blu-ray transfer looks like is you out there.
Remember all those glossy DVD magazines in the heyday of DVD (I think there's one still going). All those reviews from reviewers who didn't have a clue what they were talking about. You knew nothing about their background, or the kit they were using. The buzz terms were, inky blacks & pure whites. Some reviewers just used to review the films & not say anything about the transfer, & they were obsessed with extras, no "extras" & it was only one star no matter how good the disc looked. It's all on the net these days.

Last edited by Alan George; 10-11-2010 at 11:17.
Alan George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 15:42   #320
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque View Post
Given your often-aired views on people on the internet expressing an opinion, I suppose that sentence could finally be a move toward you conceding there are other views to be heard out there.
I have never not conceded there are other views to be heard out there - I have simply disagreed with some of those views and have, in fact, agreed with others. I think it's pretty simple. I occasionally have problems with people who have no idea what they're going on about going on about things they shouldn't be going on about, and I feel it's my duty to at least respond to those people's sometimes very misbegotten statements.