Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 06:03   #281
Guest 53019
Trusted User

I know that now that The Sound of Music has Mr. Harris' unabashed blessing, everyone will consider it perfect and most likely the transfer of the year - and I WISH I concurred, but I don't. It should pop off the screen and, for me, it just doesn't - it's perfectly nice and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it and most people WILL be over the moon, especially now that they've been told they should be But it just seems a little flat to me - not all of it - it has moments of great beauty, but too much grain in certain scenes which is just plain odd, given the complete lack of it in other scenes. I'm not talking about opticals either. Anyway, I'm happy with it and love the film.

WHITE CHRISTMAS

I did get a chance to check out the first twenty minutes of this - I don't know what the transfer derives from, I can only tell you that it is breathtakingly sharp, with perfect color, and pops in exactly the way I feel The Sound of Music should have popped. The opticals are, as they always have been, a little soft and not great-looking, but every time they cut out of them it's amazing.

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

Hard to know what to think, really. I wonder if the negative was lost in the Columbia flood and if all subsequent prints and videos were made off new negs made from generations-away from the camera negative materials. Because that's what this looks like - it's certainly better than anything we've had - but just looking at the titles, which are, of course, one long optical, it shouldn't look quite this bad. Once we get past that, then it's better, but looks nothing like other transfers from that era where the materials used yielded amazing results - I just got Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter from the UK - the same time-frame as Kwai, but the transfer is great and looks much better than Kwai. I know their shooting circumstances were very different, but I'm thinking I'm right about the Kwai negative - or, if I'm wrong about it, I sure would like to know why this couldn't be a better image. I know Mr. Harris gave THIS his stamp of approval as well, so I'm sure everyone will now be pleased, and maybe this is as good as we're going to get.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:25   #282
Guest 20043
Trusted User

how do you play region A blue's
Guest 20043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 16:24   #283
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Thanks for the Kwai thoughts haines . . . I think I said on another thread that I've never seen a good print of the picture. Somehow, too many sequences look back-projected, even when I know they weren't, and those titles are simply terrible, as if the image has been pan and scanned for TV. I'm sure you are right about the negative, but I'm afraid I also blame the system used for the picture and maybe the difficult conditions had an impact as well. I always bracket Kwai with the always muddy-looking Guns of Navarone, both rather poorly shot, both Columbia, both CinemaScope, both Carl Foreman. I'm still going to get the Blu-ray of Kwai but I'm not exactly champing at the bit to see it. I wonder if David Lean would have approved it.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 16:36   #284
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealnils View Post
On a region A player?
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 16:50   #285
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Armbruster View Post
I can't say I was overly happy with the Kwai shots on, I think, DVDBeaver - they didn't look that much better than the DVD, only a teeny-weeny bit wider.
Yeah, from the caps alone it doesn't look great, and Haines has pretty much confirmed it. Looks better than it ever has on home video - but that ain't saying much. However, I can't wait to get stuck in to that and The Sound Of Music regardless.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 17:36   #286
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Quote:
Quite easily - I'm in the US. And I have a multi-region player for imports.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:40   #287
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmate View Post
Axel Music and dvdworldusa for no customs and US versions rather than Canadian. The odd amazon us purchase for one offs that are under £18.
Is the no customs charges guaranteed these days? (Not ordered from over there since my DVD days) Need to acquire the 5 disc Blade Runner release on blu and its not widely available it seems nowadays.
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 23:55   #288
Guest 20043
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
On a region A player?
so everyone has two blue-ray players then ?
Old 06-11-2010, 00:10   #289
Scarface_Joker
Trusted User

Well either that or people just had a multi-region player from the offset!

There's no real "cheap" way to go multi-region - outside the cheap rebranded Momitsu players that pop up at HMV every so often.

I paid a premium for my OPPO and I'm very happy with it - I can buy any Blu-ray on the planet and I can regularly take advantage of Region A exclusives like Criterion so I'm quite content with the extra money I've spent - I am a movie enthusiast, it's the only thing I spend my disposable income on so I feel it's worth it!
Scarface_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 00:27   #290
Guest 20043
Trusted User

I have a blue ray rom on mypc how was easy is it too watch region a + b on that ?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:28   #291
Guest 53019
Trusted User

TOY STORY 3

What need be said - perfect in every way. Could not be more perfect. Doesn't get better than this. Buy it. The film is beautiful, fun, and very emotional.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:11   #292
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
so everyone has two blue-ray players then ?
There are three ways to be able to watch Blu-ray discs from any country and any region.

1) Buy a Blu-ray player which either has been modified (Oppo being the obvious example) or can be region changed by entering a code on the remote control (the Curtis 1100UK being an example still available in some places)

2) Buy a "normal" Blu-ray player and have it modified

3) Buy a Blu-ray player in your own country and then buy another from an Internet trader in a different Blu-ray region.

Obviously there is nothing to stop anyone from combining any of the three options.

Incidentally, where is West Baltimore?
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:31   #293
Scarface_Joker
Trusted User

Quote:
I have a blue ray rom on mypc how was easy is it too watch region a + b on that ?
You should be able to change the region up to 4 or 5 times before it's locked to one - so yeah you could have your PC locked to Region A and have a Region B stand-alone...
Scarface_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:46   #294
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post
TOY STORY 3

What need be said - perfect in every way. Could not be more perfect. Doesn't get better than this. Buy it. The film is beautiful, fun, and very emotional.
In real life he's nothing like his on-line self - he's an old softy, really
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 13:45   #295
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface_Joker View Post
You should be able to change the region up to 4 or 5 times before it's locked to one - so yeah you could have your PC locked to Region A and have a Region B stand-alone...
If you buy a program like anydvd, region coding of the drive doesn't need to be permanently changed.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 16:51   #296
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Oops, just saw Mr. Harris' thoughts on White Christmas. While he raves about every aspect of The Sound of Music and seems to have no problem with the jaundiced look of the actors in some of that transfer, here he thinks the flesh tones are off in the early reels, and boy should he know better. That is exactly what the flesh tones looked like in the IB Tech prints - it's the makeup used (same makeup for many of those 50s musicals) - it has NOTHING to do with the transfer. He also says it's a little soft for a VistaVision film - say what? This is one of the sharpest, most detailed transfers of a VistaVision film I've ever seen - and of course everyone there goes "Yeah, a disappointment." I honestly just sit and scratch my head sometimes.
Old 06-11-2010, 17:58   #297
Alan George
Trusted User

It's fun reading reviews, but in the end you just have to decide for yourself. I read reviews of a Blu-ray where they really rubbish it, but end up saying that it does look ten times better than the DVD. A DVD that I've always thought looked great (!!!).
Alan George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 18:16   #298
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

I don't take them seriously anymore, either. Its good to get an idea of what something might be like but you never know until you spin the disc yourself. (I have never read a Robert Harris review ever, and, tbh, am not quite sure who he is)
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 19:59   #299
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
I don't take them seriously anymore, either. Its good to get an idea of what something might be like but you never know until you spin the disc yourself. (I have never read a Robert Harris review ever, and, tbh, am not quite sure who he is)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Harris

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.u...-a-harris.html

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...ris/index.html

Last edited by dunkrag; 06-11-2010 at 20:00.
dunkrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 23:38   #300
Guest 53019
Trusted User

I've now finished White Christmas in its entirety, including all the new HD extras. And Mr. Harris, who clearly likes the transfer but does not accord it his Seal of Approval in the way he does The Sound of Music, which, for my money, is not in this class, I'm afraid, does this and Paramount a great disservice - perhaps that's his plan, I have no idea why he would say that this isn't as sharp as a VistaVision film should be or that the color in the opening reels is "off." It is the sharpest transfer of a VistaVision film I've ever seen, frankly, and the color is absolute perfection - want to know what IB Technicolor looks like - here it is in all its glory. Want to know why I complain about the color of The Searchers? Compare it to this and you'll know exactly why. Then there's the Beaver. The screencaps aren't within a country mile of showing how sharp and gorgeous this is. He does like the transfer, but continually (as he normally does) hedges his bets - "some minor noise" (um, no), some brief shots a little hazier than the rest (um, yes, those would be opticals), can't swear to it, but doesn't think he sees any digital tinkering (um, he doesn't - swear away, Beaver).

So, let me just state it long and loud - one of the best blu-ray transfers of a classic film of that era EVER. My jaw was on the floor, frankly. And if you want the proof, just watch the extras, which are filled with hi-def clips of the previous DVD transfer - you will not believe the difference. So, I'm sorry Mr. Harris and Mr. Beaver, haineshisway is giving this HIS Seal of Approval - certainly one of the best transfers of the year. The others can rave about The Sound Of Music because of Mr. Harris' approval, but that transfer is not anywhere near this, and this film is a decade earlier. Again, I found The Sound Of Music to be an excellent but imperfect transfer - other folks have shown up who seem to agree, but we are few and far between, because when people read Mr. Harris, they just adopt whatever view he has - and his views are very peculiar at times, and I say that with all due respect because I know the man and like him.

Do not hesitate to get this.