Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 22:24   #241
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

That's good to know - I'm awaiting my copy from DeepDiscount.com.

What I'd really like to see on BD is another early 70s rock classic - Norman Jewison's Jesus Christ Superstar
Old 06-10-2010, 17:41   #242
Guest 53019
Trusted User

THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT

I hated the 1996 "restoration" by the widow Demy - an ugly, muddy mess when I saw a 35mm print during its brief run here and an even worse ugly, muddy mess on every one of its DVD incarnations (all using that source material). So, when I read on amazon.fr that the blu-ray was out, I ordered it with trepidation. Not helping my fears was an absolutely horrid "review" from some guy on the amazon website. Giving me hope was a stellar review on a French website.

Well, the news is not only good, it's great. They've done a new 2010 restoration that was obviously done by professionals who understood what they were doing, and the results are pretty damn spectacular - wonderful color (be prepared for very saturated blues, oranges, and reds - the way it should be), really sharp (the previous "restoration", even in 35mm, verged on being out of focus), and just wonderful. If you're a fan of this film you will be very happy with this transfer and blu-ray.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 18:39   #243
Guest 45586
Trusted User

This is slightly off-topic but here goes. In the 80s and 90s I used to visit LA three or four times a year and I'd stay at the Beverly Wilshire, then I switched to the Westwood Marquis - in Westwood, there were lots of movie theatres, bookshops and video stores, notably a huge Tower Records. I am going back next month, en route from Fiji, for the first time since 1996 and I've booked into the Westwood Marquis (now the W) and planned on buying Blu-rays of Apocalypse Now, Kwai and anything else that took my fancy. And guess what? It seems unlikely because all the shops I knew and loved have closed down (even Tower Records) and there's apparently nowhere that sells them, even in the "village" that serves UCLA. Everyone gets this stuff on-line, so I guess I'll come back home and order off Amazon.com. Sign of the times.

Last edited by Wendell Armbruster; 06-10-2010 at 18:42.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 19:08   #244
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Yep, no need to drag our idle arses around the world now. Thank ****!

Why not take advantage of lower shipping rates to US destinations or even BestBuy exclusives?
Old 06-10-2010, 19:52   #245
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Armbruster View Post
This is slightly off-topic but here goes. In the 80s and 90s I used to visit LA three or four times a year and I'd stay at the Beverly Wilshire, then I switched to the Westwood Marquis - in Westwood, there were lots of movie theatres, bookshops and video stores, notably a huge Tower Records. I am going back next month, en route from Fiji, for the first time since 1996 and I've booked into the Westwood Marquis (now the W) and planned on buying Blu-rays of Apocalypse Now, Kwai and anything else that took my fancy. And guess what? It seems unlikely because all the shops I knew and loved have closed down (even Tower Records) and there's apparently nowhere that sells them, even in the "village" that serves UCLA. Everyone gets this stuff on-line, so I guess I'll come back home and order off Amazon.com. Sign of the times.
Yep, Westwood has basically become a ghost town - very sad. If you want to buy stuff here, and you get get yourself to Hollywood, Amoeba is about the only place left, although you can probably find things cheaper online, you'll save on postage.
Old 06-10-2010, 19:55   #246
Guest 53019
Trusted User

THE MALTESE FALCON

A very nice transfer of a brilliant film. Most of it is very sharp with really terrific contrast. There are a surprising number of really long opticals in the film, hence the variation in quality on those shots - it was sometimes the practice back then to cut the dissolves in "short" but they didn't do that here - so whatever scene is on either side of the dissolve sometimes goes on for a very long time before they cut to the next non-optical shot.

But you'll see detail you've never seen before and I'm very pleased with the disc.
Old 06-10-2010, 21:10   #247
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Armbruster View Post
This is slightly off-topic but here goes...
I go to San Diego three or four times a year and have only found two places selling DVDs - some HMV like place downtown with everything at retail price, and Best Buy, which wasn't much cheaper. It was still cheaper to buy online in the UK!

But what I do do is order stuff in advance to be delivered to the office here (I'm here right now) so its free shipping and customs free

Sadly I return before Apocalypse Now gets released - probably get it next time, hopefully it'll be cheaper too
Old 07-10-2010, 02:51   #248
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Thanks Haineshisway for that info about Westwood . . . sad though it was.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 22:00   #249
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Watched THX 1138 earlier, and it's a fine Blu-ray. I never thought I'd ever see a 2-perf Techniscope flick look this good, with lots of fine detail (although this does naturally vary from shot to shot) and minimal grain. There's just a lick of edge enhancement with a few visible edge halos here and there, but otherwise it's all good.

I wondered how they got it looking so clean, and then something went off in the back of my mind: Lucas enlisted the help of Lowry to restore this 2004 Director's Cut version.

The audio is surprisingly restrained for a George Lucas joint, although everything sounds as clean and clear as you could possibly hope for.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 00:07   #250
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonI View Post
I go to San Diego three or four times a year and have only found two places selling DVDs - some HMV like place downtown with everything at retail price, and Best Buy, which wasn't much cheaper. It was still cheaper to buy online in the UK!
Is that the place on the ground floor of the main shopping centre (something plaza)? I went there (in 2001) and you're right, it's exactly like a big HMV. I went to some other places and they probably weren't much cheaper.

You're probably better off going to somewhere like Walmart, they seem to have a lot of bargains.
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 00:21   #251
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post
Watched THX 1138 earlier, and it's a fine Blu-ray. I never thought I'd ever see a 2-perf Techniscope flick look this good, with lots of fine detail (although this does naturally vary from shot to shot) and minimal grain. There's just a lick of edge enhancement with a few visible edge halos here and there, but otherwise it's all good.
I still can't bring myself to buy this, my DVD has remained unwatched save for a single viewing, and then it was back to my laserdisc rip.
Old 18-10-2010, 09:18   #252
Guest 53677
Trusted User

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Just received this in the post this morning and watched a few scenes. Picture quality is excellent, very sharp and detailed, in fact it looks as good as some of the early Bond films. It seems much darker than I've seen it before, but colours seem natural. The only disappointments are that it takes a while to load and the pop up menu takes ages to disappear.
Guest 53677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 10:49   #253
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj View Post
Is that the place on the ground floor of the main shopping centre (something plaza)? I went there (in 2001) and you're right, it's exactly like a big HMV. I went to some other places and they probably weren't much cheaper.

You're probably better off going to somewhere like Walmart, they seem to have a lot of bargains.
Yes - Horton Plaza. Totally underwhelming. I hadn't thought of trying Walmart; the Best Buy I tried was quite pricey too and didn't have a very good selection: no Criterions at all, for example.
SimonI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 04:05   #254
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Lewis View Post
in fact it looks as good as some of the early Bond films.
Given the producer it shouldn't be a surprise! Pleased it looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonI View Post
Yes - Horton Plaza. Totally underwhelming.
I knew I knew the name! Makes me think of Tim Horton. I quite liked the place, made our shopping centres look rubbish, but it certainly wasn't cheap.
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 08:56   #255
Pentasa
Originally joined Mar '01

Without wanting to go off topic, where are people getting their Region A films from these days a Playusa don't have a coming soon section these days so I'm thinking something is up with them
Pentasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 09:06   #256
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj View Post
I knew I knew the name! Makes me think of Tim Horton. I quite liked the place, made our shopping centres look rubbish, but it certainly wasn't cheap.
It's a lovely place indeed; my main haunt when in SD is Fashion Valley Mall, which is exactly as it sounds. How does one place keep five sunglasses shops in business? It has cheap sushi and an AMC... but no bookshops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentasa View Post
Without wanting to go off topic, where are people getting their Region A films from these days a Playusa don't have a coming soon section these days so I'm thinking something is up with them
I hope not - they're where I get all my US BDs, except for when I have them shipped to the US, in which case I use Amazon or DDD.
Old 23-10-2010, 11:23   #257
Graham Smith
Trusted User

I've noticed that the International tab has also been removed from the flagship Play.com site this week as well.
Graham Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 12:35   #258
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentasa View Post
Amazon USA, Deep Discount and DVD Pacific. In other words, the old gang, the old reliables.
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 15:38   #259
Guest 53019
Trusted User

MOULIN ROUGE

I really don't love the film (not the Huston, the Luhrmann), but the transfer is pretty stupendous. Great color, sharpness, and contrast, and very robust sound.
Old 24-10-2010, 10:00   #260
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post
MOULIN ROUGE

I really don't love the film (not the Huston, the Luhrmann), but the transfer is pretty stupendous. Great color, sharpness, and contrast, and very robust sound.
If the John Huston Moulin Rouge came out on Blu-ray, I'd buy it immediately.
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote