Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 18:25   #1
Barnacle
Trusted User

Selling comic collection ?

I visited my parents over Xmas and my dear old mum said that she kept all my old Marvel comics and said it was about time that I took them away.

So now I've got 3 big plastic boxes full of Marvel comics (X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman, Iron Man etc) sitting in my lounge. I'd say 95% of them are in good condition as they are sealed in individual plastic bags.

I'm thinking about selling these but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about it ? I could flog them on eBay but with several hundred comics it could take me ages to get rid of them.

Any advice on how to sell my collection would be welcome !
Barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 20:27   #2
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

Selling books in chunks is the most convenient, yet probably least profitable way of doing it. That said the backissue market doesn't seem quite a strong these days except for key books, probably due to the increase in trade collections.

I'd be interested in picking up some runs of books for the right price/condition if you have a list?

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 23:28   #3
Reverend Scapegoat
Trusted User

Yeah, I'm in the annoying position of having loads of back issues I want to shift, but also loads I want to pick up to read myself.
So I might be interested in some chunks if you're selling - Generally speaking, the fastest method of selling also gets you the least return, but selling single issues means you'll get a few quid more for the "key" issues and next to nothing for the filler.
Reverend Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 00:02   #4
NicolaUK
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle View Post
So now I've got 3 big plastic boxes full of Marvel comics (X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman, Iron Man etc) sitting in my lounge. I'd say 95% of them are in good condition as they are sealed in individual plastic bags.
What era are they from? A friend of mine sold around 12,000 over a year or so mainly by selling runs of the same title, mini series etc and then selling the more desirable issues individually. If you sell them all at once, I think you'll get around 25% of their current value.

Mr NicolaUK
NicolaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:32   #5
Barnacle
Trusted User

Thanks for the response guys.

I'm not in a big hurry to sell them quickly as I have enough storage space at home for them. Not sure what era things are from but from memory I have issues of Uncanny X-Men from 1986 (#210 I think). Also found I had #1-#50 of Spawn, and Death of Superman (still bagged).
Old 04-01-2010, 12:23   #6
Roy

Well the good news for you is that none of those are especially notable in value terms, so you don't need to worry too much about getting top dollar for them
(Sorry!).

On the other hand, if they're decent runs someone would be interested to take them off you, but probably wouldn't pay a huge amount to do so...

Roy@Flickr

Last edited by Roy; 04-01-2010 at 12:23.
Old 04-01-2010, 13:20   #7
Barnacle
Trusted User

It'll probably take me ages to catalogue them properly but when its done I'll put it on the classifieds forum to see if anyone is interested.
Old 05-01-2010, 00:41   #8
NicolaUK
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle View Post
Thanks for the response guys.

I'm not in a big hurry to sell them quickly as I have enough storage space at home for them. Not sure what era things are from but from memory I have issues of Uncanny X-Men from 1986 (#210 I think). Also found I had #1-#50 of Spawn, and Death of Superman (still bagged).
That's all decent mainstream stuff, which once you're ready to sell, will shift nicely
NicolaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:26   #9
Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolaUK View Post
That's all decent mainstream stuff, which once you're ready to sell, will shift nicely
I'd be less optimistic than Nicola about those particular books to be honest.

The X-Men stuff will go, but not for a lot (issues 210 - 213 are the Mutant Massacre issues) Issue 212 and 213 contain early-ish appearances of Sabretooth, so will have a value of a few quid if NM, but otherwise as far as I recall there aren't many key issues in that period.

The Spawn stuff will gather dust until the apocalypse (I own the Spawn run up to about issue #35 and only wish I could sell it for more than the total cover price!) and every man and his dog has a mint bagged copy of Superman #75

Roy@Flickr

Last edited by Roy; 05-01-2010 at 09:27.