Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 18-09-2011, 13:39   #61
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

At least he doesn't reveal the goods, unlike To Live And Die In LA.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 13:39   #62
Richie
Trusted User

Fer shame!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 17:10   #63
Marv
Friday the 13th

" You want bread, **** a baker"
Old 18-09-2011, 21:19   #64
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Watched it again tonight and not sure how I'd missed some of Noonan's little character traits, such as hiding his hairlip with his hand when speaking, before. It is a quite startling performance.

The final scene is still one of my favourite conclusions to a film. Has there been any version released that doesn't have the slight badly edited jump when Dolerhyde is being shot? I always wondered what was removed there as it is really noticeable.

Also it's been a while since I have seen the dc but does it clear up the discrepancy between Graham running upto the window and Dolerhyde standing up to face him? It always seems slightly odd to me that one of them is in slow mo but the other isn't. A strange choice considering the otherwise impeccable editing of that scene.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 22:50   #65
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
The final scene is still one of my favourite conclusions to a film. Has there been any version released that doesn't have the slight badly edited jump when Dolerhyde is being shot? I always wondered what was removed there as it is really noticeable.
Isn't that deliberate and a wacky/artistic editing choice?
dunkrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 11:15   #66
Eitzel
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
The only true original is the 1986 theatrical version which happens to be on the US blu-ray. Hurrah! That is the THE version to watch unless someone confirms that this UK release is actually the proper theatrical version. It's just not the same film without the bit that's missing from every other cut except the true original!

"As a child, my heart bleeds for him. Someone took a little boy and turned him into a monster. But as an adult... as an adult, he's irredeemable. He butchers whole families to fulfill some sick fantasy. As an adult, I think someone should blow the sick **** out of his socks."
I'm with this all the way. A vital scene, as far as I'm concerned. If
http://www.planetaxel.com/productDetails/883904242895
is the same cut as the Manhunter contained in this set:-
http://www.planetaxel.com/productDetails/883904150411
then this is the one to get. But if you are interested in hearing Michael Mann's commentary (which is very interesting) then go for:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manhunter-Bl...f=pd_rhf_p_t_1
I've gone for both because I can't be without "socks" and the MGM transfer is excellent but I love this movie and enjoy the extra bits and the commentary. Both is the way to go. If not, the MGM.
Eitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 15:40   #67
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkrag View Post
Isn't that deliberate and a wacky/artistic editing choice?
Yup, I'm pretty sure the editing and alternating "camera speeds" are meant to represent the frenzied mental states of the two characters.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 16:54   #68
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Yup, I'm pretty sure the editing and alternating "camera speeds" are meant to represent the frenzied mental states of the two characters.
Aren't they both frenzied by that stage? It works, but it looks like Dolarhyde is moving in normal speed waiting for Will to burst through the window. I always thought it was attempting to show some kind of heightened awareness on his part or something, but I'm just going to believe he edited it that way because it looks cool!
Old 19-09-2011, 17:38   #69
anephric
Kidney Thief

I think's Mann's jumpcuts are just to make things seem more kinetic, violent. I don't necessarily think they're supposed to be a reflection of a mental state, other than adrenaline-fuelled. But hey, whatever floats your boat. There are jumpcuts all the way through Manhunter, not just during the finale.
Old 19-09-2011, 17:59   #70
Shingster
Trusted User

I think anephric's right, I'm sure Mann talks about it in his commentary and I was remembering it wrong (but can't check as I've sold my old DVD), I think he does talk about experimenting with jump cuts to increase the impact of the violence. Either way it was definitely a stylistic choice and not an error in editing.

Last edited by Shingster; 19-09-2011 at 18:03.
Old 19-09-2011, 18:10   #71
LouBarlow
Retired Member

It's not the jump cut I am referring to. When Dolarhyde is astride Reba on the table, when the camera is on them, it plays at normal speed, when it cuts to Will running towards the window, he is in slow-motion. It cuts back to Dolarhyde, again in normal speed, and as Will smashes through, he is again in slow-mo. It just plays strange.

The jump-cuts where he is getting shot are a different sequence entirely. Though speaking of jump-cuts - there is one that is really out of place, early in the film where Will is watching the home videos. It looks more like a sequence has been removed, as it is during a relatively mundane scene.
Old 19-09-2011, 18:15   #72
anephric
Kidney Thief

Mann does go overboard with them - there's one when Dolarhyde rips the dashboard when he sees Reba kissing, one when he drugs Lounds, the Graham one mentioned above... they're all over the place.
Old 19-09-2011, 20:52   #73
Jonny G
Trusted User

So which release do I have to get?
Old 19-09-2011, 20:57   #74
Psycho
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eitzel View Post
I'm with this all the way. A vital scene, as far as I'm concerned.

If http://www.planetaxel.com/productDetails/883904242895 is the same cut as the Manhunter contained in this set: http://www.planetaxel.com/productDetails/883904150411 then this is the one to get.

But if you are interested in hearing Michael Mann's commentary (which is very interesting) then go for: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manhunter-Bl...f=pd_rhf_p_t_1

I've gone for both because I can't be without "socks" and the MGM transfer is excellent but I love this movie and enjoy the extra bits and the commentary.

Both is the way to go. If not, the MGM.
Thanks!

Psycho
Trader Feedback: Trader Feedback Thread

Last edited by Psycho; 19-09-2011 at 20:58.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 21:21   #75
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Just avoid Red Dragon.
Old 19-09-2011, 21:24   #76
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eitzel View Post
If
http://www.planetaxel.com/productDetails/883904242895
is the same cut as the Manhunter contained in this set:-
http://www.planetaxel.com/productDetails/883904150411
then this is the one to get.
It's the exact same disc.

dvdactive's review says the UK release has the true theatrical version!
Quote:
StudioCanal's Blu-ray Disc includes two versions of the film: the previously released director's cut in standard-definition and the theatrical cut in high-definition. What's more, when I say 'theatrical cut' I mean the original theatrical cut, not the alternate theatrical cut. This hasn't seen the light of day on a UK home video format for quite some time and while there's not a huge amount of difference between the original and alternate theatrical cuts, with both gaining and losing footage, it's sure to please the purists.

Last edited by Richie; 19-09-2011 at 23:08.
Old 19-09-2011, 23:17   #77
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
It's not the jump cut I am referring to. When Dolarhyde is astride Reba on the table, when the camera is on them, it plays at normal speed, when it cuts to Will running towards the window, he is in slow-motion. It cuts back to Dolarhyde, again in normal speed, and as Will smashes through, he is again in slow-mo. It just plays strange.
Just a bit of sylistic wankery. I personally think it's just Mann chucking in a bit of contrast in the pacing of the action, the calm before the storm if you will, where the slow motion of Graham's entrace makes the flurry of violence afterwards seem more kinetic.

If you want to be really pretentious you could interpret it as representing the two different mental states of the characters (like I said originally), as Graham is frantically trying to get at Dollarhyde so his adrenalin must be through the roof and things are probably moving more slowly to him, whereas Dollarhyde is just standing there waiting for Graham at that point.

Last edited by Shingster; 19-09-2011 at 23:19.
Old 21-09-2011, 08:50   #78
Psycho
Trusted User

Quote:
It's the exact same disc.

dvdactive's review says the UK release has the true theatrical version!
So, they are the same theatrical versions (the one to watch), but that review says:

StudioCanal Blu-Ray (UK): "While the benefits of the increased resolution are obvious, an unhealthy amount of DNR has been applied. Grain has been virtually eradicated, and although one or two shots do look fairly sharp the vast majority of the film lacks the fine detail you'd expect from an HD title."

How does this compare to the MGM Blu-Ray (US Region Free) transfer of the same cut?

If the MGM Blu-Ray (US Region Free) version uses less DNR or none at all, then that would be the one to buy.

Psycho
Old 21-09-2011, 08:59   #79
Richie
Trusted User

Well, yeah, you can't go wrong with the US disc. I was just passing on the info from the review, I've not seen the UK disc myself so can't comment on the PQ.
Old 21-09-2011, 09:18   #80
Psycho
Trusted User

Quote:
Well, yeah, you can't go wrong with the US disc. I was just passing on the info from the review, I've not seen the UK disc myself so can't comment on the PQ.
That's cool. I was just coming here to post that review myself but spotted you'd beaten me to it.

I'll wait until I see some comparison shots between the MGM and the StudioCanal Blu-Rays but at least we know they both have the preferred cut. It's now just down to which one has the best picture/audio quality.

I've added this film to my ever growing list of Blu-Rays to buy!

Psycho