Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 14:50   #81
Guest 47807
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
I'm gonna Google it. Just out of curiosity.

Not that I doubt anyone about it, just surprised I didn't spot it is all
With respect, this is where the whole grain/DNR business becomes a bit silly. Someone suggests that a title has been DNRd to death so someone else, who had no problem with the disc decides to check it out further. Even those rabid anti-DNR people at AV Science didn't seem to have a problem with Sleeping Beauty.
Guest 47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 15:45   #82
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

I think that grain ought not to be an issue with animation - after all, what it is reproducing is not 35mm film grain but the artists' paintings. You wouldn't expect a Picasso to be reproduced with grain

I think I may even have read somewhere that Disney actually stated removing the grain et al was a deliberate part of the restoration process?

Back to Zulu: I count myself in with the grain lovers, whoever they are; after all this discussion I'm going to get a copy just so I can see if it bothers me on my 40" LCD...

...really looking forward to seeing those waxy hills...
Old 08-04-2009, 16:08   #83
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R View Post
With respect, this is where the whole grain/DNR business becomes a bit silly. Someone suggests that a title has been DNRd to death so someone else, who had no problem with the disc decides to check it out further. Even those rabid anti-DNR people at AV Science didn't seem to have a problem with Sleeping Beauty.
I wouldn't change my mind about it, just curious...
Old 08-04-2009, 16:09   #84
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonI View Post
I think that grain ought not to be an issue with animation - after all, what it is reproducing is not 35mm film grain but the artists' paintings. You wouldn't expect a Picasso to be reproduced with grain
But each frame is shot on film
Old 08-04-2009, 18:14   #85
anephric
Kidney Thief

The problem with Sleeping Beauty is where the noise reduction has had a deleterious effect on the animation, not just the removal of grain per se. DNR is particularly problematic with animation because it can destroy entire lines of detail, like the edges of faces or objects.

AND - then you enter into the conflagration about how those cels were designed, i.e. the colouring being oversaturated in order to take into account being photographed. The analogy about Picasso does not stand, because he did not design his paintings to be mechanically reproduced through a photochemical process that's suddently found itself being digitised.

Mr Whiggles has some nice info further to this and screengrabs here.

Last edited by anephric; 08-04-2009 at 18:14.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 19:25   #86
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

You all know I'm a grain-hound, but if DNR is used judiciously and with restraint then I simply don't have a problem with it. Grain can be toned down without affecting fine detail, that much is certain. But when grain is just arbitrarily erased it takes fine detail with it, giving movies an ersatz look that I can't stand.

Robert Harris has noted that the remastered Bonds have been DNR'd to varying degrees, but he still gushes about the BDs because the detail has been preserved (and how! Dr. No is incredible). There's a layer of grain left behind, yet it's so light that most folk don't even know it's there.

My point is that some studios are being needlessly destructive when it comes to jazzing up their back catalogues for HD. With a bit more effort, a middle ground could be achieved a la Bond. But without the benefit of Lowry's resources and experience, some people (I'm looking at you, Paramount!) are content to simply turn the DNR knob up to 11.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 08-04-2009 at 19:27.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 20:20   #87
Guest 32985
Gamertag: bumgut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
It's when detail is lost because of it's removal then perhaps you have a right to moan, but in the case of Zulu, if you are suggesting it is anything but a richly detailed transfer, then it is you that is speaking tripe, or you haven't actually seen the disc in action.
Do you think the faces on Zulu are smeared?
Guest 32985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 20:48   #88
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius View Post
It's not snobbish, it's not looking down on anyone; it's about wanting the movie to look like a movie instead of a sharpness boosted videotape master.
If you are saying Zulu looks like a sharpness boosted videotape master then you haven't actually watched it. If you have watched it then it's argument over.

Elzar - no smearing here - are you watching it on a 50" Alba?
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 21:03   #89
Guest 32985
Gamertag: bumgut

Quote:
If you are saying Zulu looks like a sharpness boosted videotape master then you haven't actually watched it. If you have watched it then it's argument over.

Elzar - no smearing here - are you watching it on a 50" Alba?
No, a Panasonic 42PZ85.

I don't think there is any snobbery. It's just that the people who think Zulu looks waxy can't believe someone would find it stunning. And vice versa.
Guest 32985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 21:57   #90
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzar View Post
No, a Panasonic 42PZ85.

I don't think there is any snobbery. It's just that the people who think Zulu looks waxy can't believe someone would find it stunning. And vice versa.
I guess that's about it. Some people, it appears, don't like grain because it's not what they're used to, and so regard it as black mark against a film. It's pretty much impossible to convince such people that it should be there.

Sometimes I feel it just doesn't fit with certain viewers' idea of the kind of image their big shiny TV should be showing.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:30   #91
Aardvark_DK

Quote:
Besides, I stopped taxing some of you guys seriously when I heard the phrase 'waxy hills'
Which is a bit weird 'cause you're the one who invented that phrase.
Aardvark_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:42   #92
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
AND - then you enter into the conflagration about how those cels were designed, i.e. the colouring being oversaturated in order to take into account being photographed. The analogy about Picasso does not stand, because he did not design his paintings to be mechanically reproduced through a photochemical process that's suddently found itself being digitised.

Mr Whiggles has some nice info further to this and screengrabs here.
Point taken - I had no idea that animators did that, so you're quite right about my Picasso analogy

// Moves away to intone...

Oh Lord, please help me to keep my mouth shut until I know what I'm talking about
Old 09-04-2009, 12:48   #93
anephric
Kidney Thief

Yeah, consider yourself told!

Last edited by anephric; 09-04-2009 at 12:48.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 12:45   #94
nwgarratt
Trusted User

I decide to rent this and see what the quality is really like. It was drawdropping and a perfect 10/10 for me. It is the best looking BD I have seen.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 13:15   #95
bosque
Trusted User

Zulu is being used in my local Currys to show the improvement of HD over SD DVD with the left hand side of the frame SD, the right hand side HD - yes, the picture looks much sharper and brighter but the amount of edge-enhancement (ringing) around objects and actors is almost comically bad. Does anyone think it ever looked like that at the cinema ?
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 13:49   #96
Guest 8607
La résistance est futile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque View Post
Zulu is being used in my local Currys to show the improvement of HD over SD DVD with the left hand side of the frame SD, the right hand side HD - yes, the picture looks much sharper and brighter but the amount of edge-enhancement (ringing) around objects and actors is almost comically bad. Does anyone think it ever looked like that at the cinema ?
I've seen those comparison videos in shops and I don't believe either side of the frame is the actual SD or HD transfer. SD very rarely looks anything like as bad as what they claim you're upgrading from. I didn't think Zulu had very noticable ringing.
Guest 8607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 14:11   #97
nwgarratt
Trusted User

Quote:
Those demos cannot show true HD v SD. It is only a simulation and of course they will make the HD look better.

There was no edge enhancement on Zulu when I watched it. Having a projector it would have stood out a mile.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 14:57   #98
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
So you are comparing a display set-up by someone in Currys with a cinema screen? Erm. Zulu looks great.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 21:02   #99
Guest 47807
Trusted User

Quote:
Actually it looks better than it ever looked like in the cinema.
Guest 47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 15:49   #100
Guest 53019
Trusted User

I finally got a look at Zulu on Blu-Ray and holy moley on rye, it's amazing-looking. I honestly don't understand how anyone can complain about this disc. And I'd guess that the people doing the complaining have never seen Zulu in the cinema. And yes, yes, yes, no one on these online forums understands anything about film or grain - they understand what they've read on the Internet or from people like Robert Harris who is a very nice and knowledgeable man, but who doesn't always post clearly on the subject - I mean, to him it's clear, and to me it's clear, but it's confusing to others. Honestly, do you think that ninety-nine percent of the people on the HTF of AVS ever heard the expression O-Neg before Mr. Harris started using it (and I hadn't heard it before that - in fact, I have never known anyone in any phase of the business who's used it and I've been in the business since 1970)? But everyone's an armchair expert, everyone on these forums knows everything. Sorry. They know, in fact, nothing, other than what they've read and/or what they perceive these things should look like. The majority of them have never EVER seen any of these forty year old films in theaters or projected and that, for me, means I cannot possibly take their comments seriously. Zulu is gorgeous - one of the few discs I've seen where the color actually replicates what saturated color should look like - BLUE skies, not brown or white skies, good skin tone instead of actors looking like they have jaundice - in fact, Zulu, color-wise, is everything that The Searchers should have been, rather than the overly-yellow mess it is. But, then again, on the AVS and HTF I read about the settings people are using, and that's all they do is try to suck the color out of discs because they somehow believe that's what these movies looked like - sorry, not what they looked like. It's what TODAY'S movies look like, where filmmakers seem to favor this golden-hued yellow/brown look for most movies.

In any case, Zulu looks fresh and beautiful and sharp, with great color and detail.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote