Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 18-04-2008, 00:44   #301
Guest 22389
Green and Scaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Degrees View Post
Simon so should have been fired for:
"Yeah, my friend is a photographer so I should be pm"
What are you talking about, he was an expert photographer, not only did he know how to set up a tripod, he knew what SLR stood for.

He did seem to be a genuinely nice bloke in "You're Fired" though, far too nice to get anywhere on reality TV.
Guest 22389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 13:12   #302
crayon
PSN:akacrayon

My gripe with this prog as it goes on is the dubious info that emerges from their cv's or indeed, their mouths. Simon although a nice, decent bloke, doesn't strike me as having an IQ of 170, for example. And as for business - I wouldn't leave these with a young enterprise project, never mind a camera and memory card!
crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 15:31   #303
Guest 33467
Shilpa Poppadom

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayon View Post
My gripe with this prog as it goes on is the dubious info that emerges from their cv's or indeed, their mouths. Simon although a nice, decent bloke, doesn't strike me as having an IQ of 170, for example. And as for business - I wouldn't leave these with a young enterprise project, never mind a camera and memory card!
whats more, is that this dubious info on their CV only emerges in the final four show when they interview the remaining candidates. Which begs the question, do they not vet the CV's during candidate selection/audition?
Guest 33467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 15:54   #304
DVDWotcha
OneSock

I just see some of Sir Alan's decision making as simply illogical. There seems to be this thing that if the team makes a loss the PM is automatically responsible and gets fired.

Yet nowhere in business does that rule apply. If part of a team does not deliver the PM isn't automatically to blame.

Amstrad has made losses before and did Sir Alan get sacked (as ultimate Project Manager) ? No he didn't, likely someone else carried the can.

I'd rather employ someone loyal and dependable like Simon as a number 2, than some nut job like clair who'd probably create more problems than profits.

Last edited by DVDWotcha; 18-04-2008 at 15:55.
DVDWotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 16:39   #305
GlennSh
Trusted User

but they're the rules of the game
Old 18-04-2008, 17:05   #306
basegreen
neergesab

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
whats more, is that this dubious info on their CV only emerges in the final four show when they interview the remaining candidates. Which begs the question, do they not vet the CV's during candidate selection/audition?
Well that last bit would be very boring tea if they didn't "magically" find some flaw in the CV
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 17:19   #307
mamboboy
Legend

"Now i'll get back to installing satellite dishes"

I'd say the people in this show have more experience in drama and acting than business. As someone said previous, kids doing a-level business studies would complete the task in a more efficient manner.

None of them seem to have any intelligence at all, apart from that Raef, but that could be provado more than anything...

Oh, and the editing of the show is really annoying me...you can usually tell within the first 10 minutes, not only which team will lose, but who will get sacked, and sadly it always seems to be the ones actually trying.
I mean what the f- have these two done? (apart from hide away...)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apprentice/cand...ontestant.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/apprentice/cand...ontestant.html

Last edited by mamboboy; 18-04-2008 at 17:23.
mamboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 18:00   #308
GlennSh
Trusted User

There's often a "heads down to keep out of the firing line" mentality in the first few weeks (rather like Big Brother in that sense). As for Raef - I thought he would have gone by now!
Old 18-04-2008, 18:13   #309
Guest 65023
Trusted User

As much as Simon came across as a decent fella (sadly, this won't get anyone very far in any walk of life nowadays), he did over sell himself for the PM role:"I can set up a tripod and know all about shutter speeds", he's taking portraits ffs, not snaps for the back pages.

And how did a satellite engineer get anywhere near a race for a job which requires a high level of business nouse? Or was he he everyman wildcard?
Guest 65023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 19:33   #310
Tempest
Trusted User

I think we have to remember that this is made for TV and the people are very probably not given the freedom to do as they like in a task.

Many things being pre set-up and pre arranged for them.

And obviously sometimes done so in a way that they are very lightly to make a pigs ear of things.

I know this is a trick some people use in real life to, giving people a role to play but deliberately setting things in place so they are almost guaranteed to fail.

If they could do as they please and be successful most weeks then it would not make such good telly.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 00:07   #311
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL View Post
And how did a satellite engineer get anywhere near a race for a job which requires a high level of business nouse? Or was he he everyman wildcard?
Judging from all the candidates this year, business nouse was not a requirement on the application form.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 00:15   #312
Ricinus
Trusted User

It was good to see Margaret and Nick laying into them in the boardroom.

In fact Margaret just said in the 'Motor Mouth' program that the Badger should've won the other series !
Ricinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 02:59   #313
crayon
PSN:akacrayon

The sad thing is that a satellite engineer had more nouse about him than the rest of them, who included the only gay in the village ("boo-ya-kah!"), Cloella de Ville, Lord Lucan, Peter Withe and the beret woman.
crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 08:49   #314
Bapapapa
ᗧ。。。。。。ᗣᗣᗣᗣ

Claire and the PM on the otherside are both poisonous bitches!

**** me though, the amount of people falling over themselves to have their pictures taken looks like a licence to print money!
Bapapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 09:19   #315
Guest 35758
Rinky Dink Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricinus View Post
In fact Margaret just said in the 'Motor Mouth' program that the Badger should've won the other series !
She should have done - she was outstanding and way better than the blonde lass who won - in fact didn't she get knocked up a few months later?

I guess it depends what Sugar is looking for and that is never very clear.

The Motor Mouth show was good though - I thought that Paul from the 1st series was great to watch and what a salesman. The one thing they forgot to point out about him was, to his credit, whenever Sir Alan asked him his opinion who he should fire he would never say - he'd only say "That's your decision Sir Alan".
Guest 35758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 09:24   #316
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie F View Post

I guess it depends what Sugar is looking for and that is never very clear.
That's the worst aspect of the show.

Last year he genuinly chose an "Apprentice" Someone very keen but knew little, yet had lot of enthusiasm and had done homework to find out about Amstrad.

So, last years choice was what it should have been.

But then he goes on to say he does not want someone that has to be shown how to do everything, and last week came out with the comment about not trusting the guy to handle his portfolio.

Comments like this are all over the place.

What he is actually looking for is very muddy, and I don't know if they already have a job lined up for the winning person, or they find a job suited to the type of person that wins.

It's all very muddled.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 09:26   #317
GlennSh
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapapapa View Post
Claire and the PM on the otherside are both poisonous bitches!

**** me though, the amount of people falling over themselves to have their pictures taken looks like a licence to print money!
Thats what I thought - Ł15 for picture with a look-a-like ? WTF I woudlnt pay that for the real thing!!
Old 19-04-2008, 09:28   #318
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111

It's all about good TV.

No one really cares about a bunch of normal suits going for interviews.
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 11:10   #319
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie F View Post
The Motor Mouth show was good though - I thought that Paul from the 1st series was great to watch and what a salesman. The one thing they forgot to point out about him was, to his credit, whenever Sir Alan asked him his opinion who he should fire he would never say - he'd only say "That's your decision Sir Alan".
Paul is probably my favourite contestant from all seasons of this. He was definitely in the mold of SAS, and he genuinely seemed gutted when he went. Remember the task at the football stadium? He had some good ideas, but remember he wanted someone to parachute onto the pitch at half time?
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 18:59   #320
arma_uk
Trusted User

Last edited by arma_uk; 19-04-2008 at 18:59.
arma_uk is offline   Reply With Quote