Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 17-04-2008, 08:08   #281
ROne
Trusted User

The project manager shouldn't have been the photographer - doesn't make any sense.

Usual Apprentice criticisms apply with the outcome.

Red DRAGON / EPIC Digital Cinema Owner/Operator - if you want to make a film most things considered!
ROne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 08:11   #282
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
I spent half of last night watching this behind my hands!
Yep, that's my standard Apprentice viewing position as well

Claire = in all ways though, & Alex is a slimy little worm too. I was pleased that they recapped Kevin coming back into the house & shouting [Bristol accent] Boo-ya-kur![/Bristol accent] though
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 08:59   #283
Rabbi of Caerbannog
Trusted User

Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricinus View Post
Maybe you could but you couldn't teach my wife. She never remembers anything I tell her about computers.
Same here. Had to talk her through setting up Skype the other day
Wife: "What user name do I use?"
Me: "Any thing you like, just make sure you remember it"
Wife: "Can I use Michelle?"
Me:
Wife (20mins Later after connecting webcam): "I can not get skype to work"
Me: "What do you mean exactly"
Wife: "It's saying I need to put my user name in. What was it?"
Me: "I don't know I was not there and you chose it when you typed it in a while back"
Wife: "Oh"
Me: "This is why I said make sure you pick some thing you will remember"

This was the first show that I watched instead of catching up later. How on earth could they manage to screw such a simple exercise up. I thought that they were all "good" business people
Rabbi of Caerbannog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 09:05   #284
Guest 6250
Super Member ;-)

These aren't exactly high flyers are they? They're all sales and tele marketing execs. The guy who left last week was on £35k, not exactly setting the world on fire at 28 or 29 or whatever he is. Then again, the people who are any good already have better jobs than what's on offer anyway.

Simon made a big cock up by getting too enthusiatic about the photography. He should have got someone else to take the picture and then just manage the over all flow. Reminded me of Katie in the Art sales episode last season.

Glad Sir Alan called that woman on Simons team up on her behaviour and attitude. He did generally seem mad with her. I think the show would be better if he didn't take guidance from the BBC on who to fire, and just got rid of the people he didn't like. In the past, I can see why he kept people like Trey and Syed as they actually had personality, but some of these people are just down right nasty.
Guest 6250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 09:39   #285
Guest 21161
Trusted User

I think some of these task's on paper are text book A-Level business studies but they the BBC seem to add the setup to fail formula i.e. getting them to print the photo's 10 minutes away from the photographer and last week not using a chef to work out quantanties (more obvious with the lads team)

Although I don't think Simon would have gone on to win it I think Clare was responsible for the negativity in the task and processing the photos. Oh and she sounds like an absolute biatch I have worked with people like her and they are energy drainers (best left to working by themselves imo)

I don't think Alex avoidance / pinning responsibilty for things is going to get him very far and to be honest you can call it Machavelion but I call it a bloke who has no balls.

I thought the PM for the ladies team was great up until last nights show and would argue with Trevor Nelson point that the bitching makes good viewing it just highlights the programme as a reality show rather than a business / job interview for a supposedley high flyer.

Last edited by crazyfool_col; 17-04-2008 at 09:40.
Guest 21161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 09:58   #286
H Dot
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spida1998 View Post
I can't believe that one of the teams spent all that money on a David Beckham lookalike, when they had Matt Lucas in their ranks for free!
H Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 10:19   #287
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

I actually feel sorry for Lucinda, she's been bullied by the PM is the last 2 tasks.

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 10:55   #288
CrazyAl
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedge View Post
I actually feel sorry for Lucinda, she's been bullied by the PM is the last 2 tasks.
But she's crap at everything and cries all the time. She's gotta get kicked out sooner rather than later. I would miss her lovely wooly hats though
Old 17-04-2008, 11:04   #289
john316
XBL: morro316

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedge View Post
She's utterly useless in every way shape or form - considering she's from a high paying job, its astonishing how weak a contestant she is.
john316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 11:13   #290
Ricinus
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi of Caerbannog View Post
Same here. Had to talk her through setting up Skype the other day

The difference is I couldn't even begin to explain what Skype was. I know the response would be "use the computer as a phone ? that's stupid"
Ricinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 11:16   #291
Guest 11700
Trusted User

I'll be interested to see what Lucinda is like when she's leading a task, as presumably she has some sort of strengths, we just haven't seen any of them yet!!

None of the other contestants were experts in the previous tasks, but most of the others have at least mucked in and tried to do the job that was asked of them. She'll definitely cry in the boardroom when she's up for being fired.
Guest 11700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 11:55   #292
Space Duck
Trusted User

Thing was, she did try to use the PC... but when it's all confuddling and you're not savvy then you're screwed.

I work with people that can't insert tables, do mail merges or cut and paste without a tutorial EVERY time. They're paid 3 times what I'm on.
Space Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 12:09   #293
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Duck View Post
I work with people that can't insert tables, do mail merges or cut and paste without a tutorial EVERY time. They're paid 3 times what I'm on.
But they're probably not paid to do what you do. Why pay someone £80,000 to cut and paste when you could get it done for £16,000 ?

Last edited by bosque; 17-04-2008 at 12:10.
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 12:09   #294
Tempest
Trusted User

I've been there with computer novices enough to feel I finally understand the level you have to work at, and it's very hard sometimes when nothing sticks or sinks into someone's mind.

Friend or mine wants to write everything down

And i mean EVERYTHING in a step by step path, click mouse in box. Type in a word, click ok, go up the top of the screen and click on file, then move mouse down over the word save and press the left button

etc etc........

Problem is (as I've tried to explain) It's hard to do this, and just 1 error box, or something that pops up and interupts their list of instructions written down and they are totally lost.

I've no problem, as they know things I don't Perhaps into nature, and know when to plant bulbs in the ground, what plants need watering a lot, what are indoor and outdoor ones.

(Things I have no idea about unless I found out)

I know many (I guess mostly older) are actually frightened of computers (or anything electrical) and they think they will mess it up or break something if they do something wrong.

And lets face it, with Windows it's not hard to do!!!

I think some people are just not wired that way, they may be great at personal skills but fall to pieces at the (we think) easiest thing on a PC. And it's hard for us to comprehend.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 12:11   #295
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Duck View Post
Thing was, she did try to use the PC... but when it's all confuddling and you're not savvy then you're screwed.

The "smart arse" reply I get to something like this is, If I wanted to bark myself I'd not have got a dog.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 12:14   #296
Guest 1054
The Voice For Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAl View Post
But she's crap at everything and cries all the time. She's gotta get kicked out sooner rather than later. I would miss her lovely wooly hats though
and her baps, shame they were obscured by the scarf in this task though
Guest 1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 12:33   #297
thetope
officially countrified

i found it hard to believe that not a single person in Helene's team knew how to take photos off a memory card and use what appeared to be very basic picture software... like even run down to a dixons [surely there's one in bluewater] or something and "borrow" a geek for 10 minutes to get it up and running again... choosing a self-declared technically incompetent person to do the job is just ridiculous proj management.

Thought it was harsh that Simon went - I think Claire has potential if she can get past her big mouth, even though she mucked up on the first task. Alex? i don't think he's a winner.

Interesting how the past major antagonists (raef, jenny) have not been featured much the past two weeks. i'm almost beginning to like them again.

Last edited by thetope; 17-04-2008 at 12:34.
thetope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 12:55   #298
Mr Blobby
Single,sane and solvent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque View Post
...and did I see someone paying £15.99 for a colour print on white paper of his family ?
It was £20
Mr Blobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 14:58   #299
Space Duck
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
The "smart arse" reply I get to something like this is, If I wanted to bark myself I'd not have got a dog.
Yeah but still works both ways... I manage a budget that's been allocated out by a director to one of these high paid monkeys.... Cause he ain't doin it.

And I bark... for a fee dammit!!!

Still sad to see Simon go, he was up himself but he was better then the "I was a regional manager at 21"
Space Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 17:01   #300
Guest 22025
Steppin' Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque View Post
But they're probably not paid to do what you do. Why pay someone £80,000 to cut and paste when you could get it done for £16,000 ?
I have no problem with this if it's a once in a blue moon thing and they'll never need to [insert basic IT thing here] ever again.
But when you have to show someone for the nth time how to do something that is a regular task then I consider that it's part of their job and they should bloody well learn how to do it. The simple fact is that plenty of intelligent people become 'lazy' when it comes to learning IT stuff - it's well within their ability to learn a simple set of instructions, they just don't want to.

Altho back on topic I'd fire Lucinda purely on her dress sense.
It's clearly a 'smart' dress code not a 'middle aged hippy' one.

Last edited by MrHat001; 17-04-2008 at 17:02.
Guest 22025 is offline   Reply With Quote