Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 16-04-2008, 21:13   #261
Adge
PSN: adge_uk XBL: adgeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsesay View Post
Blatantly done for ratings that.
Totally agree, keep the clueless & abrasive in as they make good telly.

I seriously think if you chose the contestants in the same manner as jury duty you'd have teams ten times better than the idiots they have now,
Adge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 21:22   #262
KennyVader
Insomniac

Simon's coming over really charming, nice, pleasant, and able to hold his own well in an interview, on the You're Fired programme. I think he could easily turn this into a TV career if he wanted to. Sir Alan may have done him a favour letting him out this early.

He's got WAY more character than last week's loser, or the likes of wuss-bag Alex.

I think he just doesn't cope too well when under pressure or when everyone is out to stab him in the back.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 21:36   #263
Guest 30887
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHat001 View Post
But when getting the training she then said something like "just you watch I'll be brilliant at this".

I've had to teach people who are crap with PCs things before. If I had a whole day (like the training took) I could teach a ******* monkey how to print off photos from a memory card!
Same goes for the system of ordering the pictures on the camera, I bet there was some way that Simon could have viewed the filenames on the camera and then provided those to the back office.

Maybe it's just because I'm a geek but it always surprises me when people who are in charge of huge projects and organising people can't manage to operate everyday technology.
Don't forget, this is a woman who "began her career in Risk Management before undertaking various roles involving I.T. in the financial sector"[1]. Yet claims to be so not-technical that she can't operate a mobile phone

[1] http://www.bbc.co.uk/apprentice/cand...ontestant.html
Guest 30887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 21:38   #264
Guest 6227
Trusted User

I think Simon wasn't that well suited in this group of people - but seemed a very nice chap

BUT the other two in the board ! OMG - they're appauling ! Really nasty pieces of work the pair of them !
Guest 6227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 21:42   #265
bosque
Trusted User

Surprised to hear Alan Sugar come up with a line that Simon wouldn't be able to run Sugar's investment portfolio for him, when that is hardly the type of job the show's winners have been given - isn't it more like being able to run his computer disposal section ?
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 21:59   #266
36Degrees
Njósnavélin

Simon so should have been fired for:
"Yeah, my friend is a photographer so I should be pm"
36Degrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 22:25   #267
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:
Maybe it's just because I'm a geek but it always surprises me when people who are in charge of huge projects and organising people can't manage to operate everyday technology.

You'd be surprised how many times I have to drop everything that I'm doing at work, just to show someone how to do something as simple as turn a line of text bold in Excel.

From my experience, people who work in sales are useless with every aspect of computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Degrees View Post
Simon so should have been fired for:
"Yeah, my friend is a photographer so I should be pm"

Nah, his experience of washing machines in Bosnia more than makes up for that.
dmb6473a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 22:46   #268
mjb1975
Blandiblub

Simon was a bit of a control freak but then so's that Claire woman so no wonder they disagreed on a lot.

Thought Claire was going to go but I guess it was between the two of them and either could've.
Old 16-04-2008, 22:55   #269
GlennSh
Trusted User

cant believe neither team prepared any sort of dry run beforehand to work out how they were going to get the right pictures passed over to the back office
Old 16-04-2008, 23:16   #270
Guest 30661
Joey JoJo Junior Shabadoo

Quote:
Same goes for the system of ordering the pictures on the camera, I bet there was some way that Simon could have viewed the filenames on the camera and then provided those to the back office.
I'm not sure, but I assumed the problem there was that they seemed to be using the windows scanner and camera wizard to transfer the photos from the card reader - which automatically changes all the filenames!

So simon might've actually been reading out the right filenames, and it was the people printing them making mistakes again. Either way, I'm sure whatever number he was reading out would've at least been in the exif data somewhere.

Couldn't really understand why they didn't just have an inkjet printer set up next to the studio ready to print standard photos, and just send more difficult things like mugs and mousemats to the other room.
Guest 30661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 23:26   #271
bosque
Trusted User

...and did I see someone paying £15.99 for a colour print on white paper of his family ?
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 23:37   #272
Rip Curl
XBL - GalcoTaliv

I work with a women who seems to have the same personality as Claire. She is hard work to control in meetings, especially when senoir management are present. It is a shame really that a personality holds people back.

I vote Claire to go next.
Rip Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 23:39   #273
Rip Curl
XBL - GalcoTaliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque View Post
...and did I see someone paying £15.99 for a colour print on white paper of his family ?
You did. That struck me as odd. I am sure the BBC gave them something more for their 16 quid.
Rip Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 23:45   #274
Guest 58466
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque View Post
I watched a bit of this tonight even though I actually can't stand it (the people just get me so riled up - but not in an entertaining way). Of all the terrible things I saw tonight though, this was the worst. Poor members of the public - fleeced by annoying idiots.

Also, Simon reminded me of Mark Thomas a little bit. That's the most insight I can offer.
Guest 58466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 00:52   #275
Ricinus
Trusted User

ahh, what a shame. He seemed a nice guy. They will miss him on tasks that need hard graft.
That Claire is horrid and the PM on the other team was even worse. Picking the worst possible person to print the photos and then claiming she didn't know that.

Quote:
I've had to teach people who are crap with PCs things before. If I had a whole day (like the training took) I could teach a ******* monkey how to print off photos from a memory card!
Maybe you could but you couldn't teach my wife. She never remembers anything I tell her about computers.
Ricinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 01:35   #276
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjg1 View Post
Don't forget, this is a woman who "began her career in Risk Management before undertaking various roles involving I.T. in the financial sector"[1]. Yet claims to be so not-technical that she can't operate a mobile phone

[1] http://www.bbc.co.uk/apprentice/cand...ontestant.html
well spotted. However knowing what we now know about Lucinda's tech abilities she actually seems to perfectly match a hell of a lot of supposedly IT project managers or business analysts that I have come across in my career. You would be stunned at the number of people wangling very high paying IT PM/BA contracts at loaded city companies but who in reality seem to know plenty about counting beans but nothing about the actual tech they're supposed to be managing or analysing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post
I'm not sure, but I assumed the problem there was that they seemed to be using the windows scanner and camera wizard to transfer the photos from the card reader - which automatically changes all the filenames!

So simon might've actually been reading out the right filenames, and it was the people printing them making mistakes again. Either way, I'm sure whatever number he was reading out would've at least been in the exif data somewhere.
Then they should have immediately given up on the camera/pc file name mismatch and reverted to the tried and tested method of taking a frame before and after each set of an A4 piece of paper with the client (person being photographed) details on it, for example their name, or maybe even their entire order form. This way each customer's photo set is automatically bookended with their details and whatever windows' wizards do to the files it will be next to impossible to separate the details. It was a digital camera so it would not even have cost them film to do this. It ain't rocket science! That not one of the team thought of something like that rather than worrying about the stupid file numbers shows they're all hopeless and just can't think outside the box at all.

p.s. the "buzzword bingo" phrases above are deliberate, in honour of the muppets on the show that use them.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 07:42   #277
GlennSh
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVader View Post
she actually seems to perfectly match a hell of a lot of supposedly IT project managers or business analysts that I have come across in my career.
let's not forget IT "Architects" too
Old 17-04-2008, 08:01   #278
Guest 11700
Trusted User

I can't believe that one of the teams spent all that money on a David Beckham lookalike, when they had Matt Lucas in their ranks for free!
Guest 11700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 08:03   #279
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

I spent half of last night watching this behind my hands! Half the tasks are things you'd give students doing a degree in Business studies to do, it's so bleedin' simple and they STILL screw the simplest of tasks up.

Lucinda is my hero though, she serves no purpose whatsoever! 'How dare you talk to me like that' go on love, you tell 'em
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 08:08   #280
Adge
PSN: adge_uk XBL: adgeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennSh View Post
let's not forget IT "Architects" too

Oi!! That's my job title (this week)... but you are right many of us haven't got a clue about hands on tehcnology... I'm one of the good ones though
Adge is offline   Reply With Quote