Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 25-01-2010, 10:55   #1041
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

I finished The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson, which was terrific. While I loved The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I found the sequel even more enjoyable as it really zips along, with great character development and some superb plot turns. I'm really looking forward to reading the third and final book when it finally hits paperback.

Then I read Night Chills by Dean Koontz. I don't know if it's because it followed something as well-written and intelligent as the above book, but I didn't enjoy it at all. It felt lazy, uninspired and basic, poorly written even. Was glad to get done with it.

Now I've started Prey by Michael Crichton. Been about 15 years since I read any of his books, but I quite enjoyed Jurassic Park, The Lost World and Congo. Not very far in to this, so too early to judge, but so far so average.

Last edited by Ratfink; 25-01-2010 at 11:56.
Old 30-01-2010, 22:56   #1042
Guest 752
Trussed User

Finished Christopher Fowlers Bryant and May on the Loose yesterday which was an enjoyable read and sets up the next book (... on the rails) very well. Also read Panic which was a book I picked up at the airport a couple of years ago. I've tried to read it three times before and never made it past the first couple of chapters. Not sure why as I managed all 400 pages in two sittings (one last night and another this afternoon) and enjoyed it, even if it is a little bit vapid and (reasonably) predicable. Going to try Camus' The Plague next.
Old 31-01-2010, 12:41   #1043
Guest 18624
Hot busty wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
I finished The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson, which was terrific. While I loved The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I found the sequel even more enjoyable as it really zips along, with great character development and some superb plot turns. I'm really looking forward to reading the third and final book when it finally hits paperback.

Then I read Night Chills by Dean Koontz. I don't know if it's because it followed something as well-written and intelligent as the above book, but I didn't enjoy it at all. It felt lazy, uninspired and basic, poorly written even. Was glad to get done with it.

Now I've started Prey by Michael Crichton. .
that's good to hear as I'm looking for the next one. Girl With the Dragon Tattoo took me ages to get into and then when I did, I enjoyed it

Prey was pretty good I thought

I'm reading Gone With the Wind at the mo
Old 31-01-2010, 19:58   #1044
Guest 72583
Trusted User

Just finished Neal Stephenson's Anathem, good but too "hard" sci-fi for me, I prefer his earlier stuff.
Old 31-01-2010, 20:02   #1045
mitch316
giddyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
Just finished the girl who kicked the hornets nest.Probably my favourite of the three it rockets along and theres never a dull moment

Last edited by mitch316; 31-01-2010 at 20:03.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:31   #1046
gjkendall
Gooner

Still readin 'Under The Dome'....not had much time to read lately!

I have an ever increasing to read pile, but I am toying with adding the new Joe Hill book 'Horns' to it....anyone read it here?
Old 06-02-2010, 15:21   #1047
Guest 752
Trussed User

Finished Camus' 'The Plague', some interesting ideas but I found it a bit dull. In the past week I also finished 'Stirling Moss: All my races' which contains hundreds of fantastic photos from the 50's and 60's and capsule reviews of all of Stirling Moss' 600+ races. It gets a bit repetitive but some interesting insights into his career. Also read Mark Kermodes 'Its Only a Movie' which I enjoyed, but then I am a Kermode fan. Finally I am about half way through John Lanchester's (who wrote the brilliant Mr Phillips) non-fiction account of the credit crunch 'Whoops', interesting but not as good as Vince Cables account.
Old 07-02-2010, 18:27   #1048
rumbletum
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkendall View Post
Still readin 'Under The Dome'....not had much time to read lately!
I've just finished this today, took me a few weeks. Enjoyed it for the most part, just the ending seemed a bit meh.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:27   #1049
Conor
Trusted User

Just reading "Dirty White Boys" by Stephen Hunter.

After that, I've got "Alive" BY Jack Kilborne and "Blue Blood" to read.
Old 10-02-2010, 19:43   #1050
rumbletum
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
Read that a good few years back, remember really liking it, may have to give it another read some time
Old 11-02-2010, 13:22   #1051
Summerisle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
Read Black Light, the middle book in the Bob Lee Swagger trilogy, which follows up events from DWB. I started reading them because Garth Ennis in the letters page of Preacher was asked who and what he read and one of the replies was Hunter and DWB.

As to books just read, I have recently finished Zoo Station by David Downing about an English journalist in pre-war Germany. It has a thriller element but is more a straight novel and I found it a very satisfying read. Currently reading Ryu Murakami's Audition, basis for the Miike film of a few years ago. For luchtime at work I'm reading through John Brosnan's The Horror People, an overview of horror actors, directors and studios published way back in 1975. Hope to start on the massive Greg Mank book about Karloff and Lugosi soon.

Last edited by Summerisle; 11-02-2010 at 13:23.
Old 11-02-2010, 13:49   #1052
Guest 72583
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerisle View Post
Currently reading Ryu Murakami's Audition, basis for the Miike film of a few years ago.
Have you read his "Coin Locker Babies". Really good.
Old 11-02-2010, 16:59   #1053
Guest 12859
Iron Mind.

Read a couple of Peter James books. Enjoyed both of them in the end, although he was a little too descriptive about Brighton sometimes the general stories were good.

Back onto Reacher again though now
Old 11-02-2010, 18:43   #1054
rumbletum
Trusted User

Quote:
Read Black Light, the middle book in the Bob Lee Swagger trilogy, which follows up events from DWB. I started reading them because Garth Ennis in the letters page of Preacher was asked who and what he read and one of the replies was Hunter and DWB.
Thats exactly how I discovered DWB too
Old 15-02-2010, 10:16   #1055
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbletum View Post
Finished The Coffin Dancer - Jeffery Deaver this morning, not bad, a few elements of the story I didn't like, but overall worth reading.

Just finished this too, an excellent read I thought

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge
Old 15-02-2010, 13:31   #1056
Conor
Trusted User

Quote:
Wildo mate-cheers. Really enjoyed the book and intend to check out some of Hunter's other books.
Old 15-02-2010, 17:41   #1057
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Just finnished Nick Hornbys 'Juliette Naked'. Enjoyed it a lot it's more or less High Fiedelty from the womans pov and updated for the internet age. But that's fine by me.
Old 16-02-2010, 00:48   #1058
Guest 752
Trussed User

I also really enjoyed 'Juliette Naked' which was my first (and so far only) Hornby. I'm surprised by the comparison with High-Fidelity, perhaps I ought to check out the book.

In the past few days I read one of the 'Age of Conan' novels. The best I can say about it is that it passed the time.

I also read, or should that be looked at, 'Out of the Shadows' which is a book of photographs taken around the F1 motorsports scene in the late 1960's (1967-1969) some really nice pictures of classic F1 and sports cars, my favourite is the picture used on the cover of Jackie Stewart driving his car around Monaco.

I also read Angela Carters 'The Magic Toyshop', it wasn't the book I expected but none-the-less it was a really good read and comes highly recommended.

Now reading A Clockwork Orange. A book I really enjoy but its hard going due to Alex's use of slang (in this respect I find it similar to Iain Banks Feersum Enjun, which while a great read is made difficult by the use of a phonetic style of writing).
Old 17-02-2010, 21:08   #1059
Guest 7861
Trusted User

Just finished

Earth Abides by George R Stewart

And really enjoyed it. More so than Cormacs The Road.

On a pale horse by Piers Anthony

Really great story about a guy who kills death and takes his job. Don't know why I didn't find out about this sooner.

And if you've read Cormacs No country for old men then check out Blood Meridian, which is just as dark but in the old west.

Currently reading Spares by Michael Marshall Smith and liking it.
Old 17-02-2010, 22:29   #1060
Jungle Ted
Trusted User

Just finished Mo Hayder's 'Skin' and am eagerly awaiting delivery of 'Gone', the next Caffery Novel which I ordered from Play
Closed Thread